No announcement yet.

Unexpected second careers of rock stars

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected second careers of rock stars

I thought this was an interesting article. Some, like Al Green, were not exactly news to me, but others, I had no idea about.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gall...0q2?li=BBnb7Kz

If you could have a second career (or hobby) outside of your day job and music - something that might surprise people - what would it be?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

I can add some more:

John Hall (singer,songwriter, excellent Strat man for Orleans) has had a political career, including U.S. Representative for one of the New York districts.

Cyndi Lauper has won some Tonys in the theatre world, plus serious activism for LGBT rights.

Thomas Dolby started a tech company that created a hybrid MIDI/sample web protocol for transferring music. Ended up being a major bit of tech for ringtones.

Skunk Baxter is a defense consultant and chairs a Congressional Advisory Board on missile defense (quote from WikiP)

Personally I don't think Ted Nugent's antics rise to the level of a 2nd career, sorry....

nat

Comment

While I've made a pretty good living in HVAC/R, I'd like to have a second career as a musician.....
      http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

Who can forget Jimmy Dean Sausage!
        The Mandolin Picker

"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Comment

Not sure about what rates a rock star but he sure has won a lot of guitar player awards. Steve Morse , Dixie Dregs - Pilot

Allen Sloan, Dixie Dregs violinist - Anesthesiologist? He was studying to be one anyway when I met him anyway.

Myself? At this point I could see me being a monk. Or a gardener. I have a green thumb. I love helping things grow.

Typically, I have a flip side too.

Stripper! Yeah baby!

Though at 54, bum neck, asthma, some things may not rise to the level anymore....

Fits well with the naked gardening trend though.

Comment

When the hits dried up, Derek Longmuir (drummer with The Bay City Rollers) became a nurse!
            new album - smoke
            forum - the asylum

Comment

Peter Garrett/ Midnight Oil

Garrett is the lead singer of the Australian rock band Midnight Oil. He served as President of the Australian Conservation Foundation for ten years and, in 2003, was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia for his contribution to the environment and music industry.[3] He is also known for his signature bald head and his unique and eccentric dance style.[4][5][6]

edit: See (3)... I'm thinking that might describe our man Phil O'Keefe after a few beers at a wedding. 😎
              Last edited by Luke17; 10-23-2017, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Oh, forgot the question about the second career;
                After retirement, I started working at a nearby Parsley farm..
                I think I'm going to quit because the owner keeps garnishing my wages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CdVTCDdEwI

Comment

I've had a first career as a musician, and although I am of retirement age, I have no plans to do so. My second career is also as a musician.

But then I started as a drummer, and after that went pro as a sax player. Now I guess my second career is as a singer, guitarist, wind synthesist, bassist, and flutist who still plays a lot of sax.
                  Bob "Notes" Norton
                  Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
                  Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
                  The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

• AlamoJoe
                    AlamoJoe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds to me like you've lived your dream Notes. " Do what you love for a living and you'll never work a day in your life." Good on ya man!.

• Notes_Norton
                    Notes_Norton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Joe. I'm living life on my terms doing music and nothing but music, and I got lucky enough to find a female musician who is my lover/best friend/band-mate. She sings great, plays guitar and synthesizer, I play sax, guitar wind synth and am a decent singer, and I make our own backing tracks. We've been working steadily since 1985. Life is good.

Originally posted by RockViolin View Post
                  Or a gardener. I have a green thumb. I love helping things grow.
                  Hey, ahh, can we talk about this?

I live in the Colorado area.
                  If you stand for nothing your life becomes meaningless. The world and everything you have today exist because people before you stood up, worked hard and died to provide us all the opportunity. Get involved!

Audio Icon

Comment

• RockViolin
                    RockViolin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I live in an uptight state. It will be the last domino to fall... or the one that doesn't. I'm not sure I'm even allowed to talk about Colorado, let alone what I think you're driving at. ;-) I tend to tomatoes, roses, rhododendron, philodendron, swedish ivy, snapdragons, hollyhocks, etc. But if you can relocate my family and I and have a solid job to offer, I'm open to possibility. If it's a plant, I probably can keep it alive anyway. :-)

I'm sort of running the opposite - I'm just starting my 3rd career, as a musician.

The first 2:
                  Teaching electronics in college for 10 years, then as a lab-rat in an aerospace company for 26 years.

Comment

Working...
                  X