Unexpected second careers of rock stars

Phil O'Keefe

I thought this was an interesting article. Some, like Al Green, were not exactly news to me, but others, I had no idea about.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gallery/rockers-who-went-on-to-unexpected-careers/ss-AAtn0q2?li=BBnb7Kz

If you could have a second career (or hobby) outside of your day job and music - something that might surprise people - what would it be?

• Members

I can add some more:

John Hall (singer,songwriter, excellent Strat man for Orleans) has had a political career, including U.S. Representative for one of the New York districts.

Cyndi Lauper has won some Tonys in the theatre world, plus serious activism for LGBT rights.

Thomas Dolby started a tech company that created a hybrid MIDI/sample web protocol for transferring music. Ended up being a major bit of tech for ringtones.

Skunk Baxter is a defense consultant and chairs a Congressional Advisory Board on missile defense (quote from WikiP)

Personally I don't think Ted Nugent's antics rise to the level of a 2nd career, sorry....:)

nat

• Members

Not sure about what rates a rock star but he sure has won a lot of guitar player awards. Steve Morse , Dixie Dregs - Pilot

Allen Sloan, Dixie Dregs violinist - Anesthesiologist? He was studying to be one anyway when I met him anyway.

Myself? At this point I could see me being a monk. Or a gardener. I have a green thumb. I love helping things grow.

Typically, I have a flip side too.

Stripper! Yeah baby! baby-dance

Though at 54, bum neck, asthma, some things may not rise to the level anymore.... :D

Fits well with the naked gardening trend though.

• Members

Peter Garrett/ Midnight Oil

Garrett is the lead singer of the Australian rock band Midnight Oil. He served as President of the Australian Conservation Foundation for ten years and, in 2003, was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia for his contribution to the environment and music industry.[3] He is also known for his signature bald head and his unique and eccentric dance style.[4][5][6]

edit: See (3)... I'm thinking that might describe our man Phil O'Keefe after a few beers at a wedding. 😎

• Members

I've had a first career as a musician, and although I am of retirement age, I have no plans to do so. My second career is also as a musician.

But then I started as a drummer, and after that went pro as a sax player. Now I guess my second career is as a singer, guitarist, wind synthesist, bassist, and flutist who still plays a lot of sax.

• Members

I live in an uptight state. It will be the last domino to fall... or the one that doesn't. I'm not sure I'm even allowed to talk about Colorado, let alone what I think you're driving at. ;-) I tend to tomatoes, roses, rhododendron, philodendron, swedish ivy, snapdragons, hollyhocks, etc. But if you can relocate my family and I and have a solid job to offer, I'm open to possibility. If it's a plant, I probably can keep it alive anyway. :-)

• Members

Thanks Joe. I'm living life on my terms doing music and nothing but music, and I got lucky enough to find a female musician who is my lover/best friend/band-mate. She sings great, plays guitar and synthesizer, I play sax, guitar wind synth and am a decent singer, and I make our own backing tracks. We've been working steadily since 1985. Life is good.

Archived