Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neil Young's Xstream - doomed, or simply destined for failure?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

I have perfect pitch, and I always used to notice whenever a station pulled that trick and sped up the turntables. WTH? Everything's sharp!

Edits used to really tick me off too... I'm sitting there enjoying a song I really like, and BAM! Edit! WTH? And some of them were so poorly done I often suspected they were done by someone at the station and not the original engineers.
    Edits still tick me off. We have one classic rock station in Houston and I think they edit 95% of the songs they play. If it's "Classic", how can you edit it? Would you cut off Michelangelo's "David" at the knees?

Maximize the commercial airtime...That's what that is all about.

http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post

Edits still tick me off. We have one classic rock station in Houston and I think they edit 95% of the songs they play. If it's "Classic", how can you edit it? Would you cut off Michelangelo's "David" at the knees?
      If it means fitting a few more commercials in per hour? You bet the typical Program Director would!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRivers View Post
        <...snip...> But there will always be those who want to have 2000 songs on their phone, which rarely has more than 64 GB of storage <...>
        I have >10,000 songs on my digital Walkman, 128GB with very little overhead for the OS. Most are ripped too low for serious listening, but since I only play it in the car which has plenty of ambient noise when driving down the highway, it doesn't matter to me.

When I'm home and seriously listening to music, the Walkman isn't involved at all.

But still, the average music consumer doesn't listen like the average musician or audiophile does, they don't know the difference, and don't care. They just want to hear the song.

The things we miss hearing on Lo-Fi devices, they never hear in the first place. (Sadly.)

Insights and incites by Notes
        Last edited by Notes_Norton; 05-01-2017, 07:38 AM. Reason: Clarification
        Bob "Notes" Norton
        Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
        Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
        The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRivers View Post
          But there will always be those who want to have 2000 songs on their phone, which rarely has more than 64 GB of storage and may not have a data rate available that can stream high resolution high speed PCM files. So there will be a need for legacy file formats for a while.
          Times have changed...I have an Android phone that takes 128 GB micro SD cards you can load up with songs (and the battery is user-replaceable). For a few more bucks, I could have gotten a phone that supports 256 GB cards.
          CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post

Well, look on the bright side. If you bought a Pono player, you can use it for...uh...well...hey, anyone got any ideas for how to use a dead Pono player?
            Based on the shape, it might make a decent door stop / wedge.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

People coming late to the party have two strikes against them. PONO came late and so is Xstream.

The Dvorak keyboard is actually must faster than the QWERTY, but we all know how to use the QWERTY.

There have been many transposing alternatives invented to the black-and-white piano style keyboard, but most of us already know how to get along with the piano keys

Many years ago IBM realized their error letting Microsoft own the OS, and they came out with OS2/Warp which if you can believe the tech writers, was superior to both Apple and WIndows at the time, but it failed.

Linux came too late as well.

And Microsoft is having a very difficult time getting into the phone game, because they came around too late.

Banks mostly use COBOL for their computer systems, because it's too much work and to expensive to change it. I read that retired people who know COBOL are making big bucks for working on banking gear because it's not taught anymore.

If you come late to the party, you need a VERY convincing benefit to get people to cross over.

Back to better music fidelity:

The CD for music was improved with the SACD and Blu-Ray for music, and the SACD was even back-compatible. But the greatest bulk of the consumers can't hear the benefit and don't care.

It's very difficult to predict what the public with go viral over. If I knew, I'd go into the consulting business, as a lot of companies would pay big bucks for that information.

Insights and incites by Notes
              Bob "Notes" Norton
              Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
              Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
              The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post

Times have changed...I have an Android phone that takes 128 GB micro SD cards you can load up with songs (and the battery is user-replaceable). For a few more bucks, I could have gotten a phone that supports 256 GB cards.
                The LG Harmony phone offered by Cricket claims to take a microSD card up to 2 TB. I searched on Amazon and they don't have microSD's anywhere near that. But I suppose the time is coming.
                https://soundcloud.com/david-goethe/tracks

Dave's ,YouTube channel

Comment

Working...
                X