How long until companies are ready for Vista?

alphajerk

• Members

i was HOPING when i saw Adobe's CS3 being released soon that it would be a 64bit application for Vista... but looking at the FAQ's on it, it will run on Vista64 but only as a 32bit application.

as of right now, Sonar is the ONLY 64bit application i know of that will run in Vista [@ 64bits]

how long you think it will take companies to take advantage of 64bit OS's [as far as i know, OSX doesnt have 64bit apps either]...

the reason why i am bummed is for After Effects 2GB 32bit application limit [which is enabled to run 3GB with the PAE tweak] but was hoping for more than that. i STILL run out of RAM in it constantly slowing down my workflow tremendously. i was hoping the next version would let me build a Xeon workstation machine [although it does support dual cpus, multicores better now] with a load of RAM packed in it.

i know this isnt exactly pertaining to music, but a lot of DAW/plugin in people are going to eventually [hopefully] put out a 64bit version... maybe? how long IS this going to take? i have been patient staying in XP even though i have Vista running for a number of months now but now i am really been itching to make the switch lately.

• Moderators

Reaper looks promising in this regard. I've got to try it out. I keep thinking this would be perfect for the onsite overdub sessions I mention. Go to the piano.

I'd just burn a stereo mix and import into Reaper. Track. Come home and import back into PT. Don't tell my wife... "Honey, have you seen my laptop?"

So anyway, Reaper is Vista ready.

• Members

Steinberg announced a few months back that their 64 bit versions of Nuendo etc are scheduled for the 3rd/4th quarter. Which I thought was a good decision as it gives time for them to verify integration with Vista SP1 (which I believe comes out late summer) as well as with the continuing maturing of sound card Vista 64 bit drivers (Echo just came out with their Vista 64 bit a few weeks ago and others are steadily hitting).

I think a lot of companies are taking this route for a late year release in order to assure a fairly stable integration of 64 bit os/software/hardware by the time January Namm comes around.

• Members

I just bought VISTA BUSINESS (32-bit). Some features are nice.... others will definitely take some getting used to... especially the need to "OK" nearly every operation that you conduct.

Also, for whatever reason, I can't get VISTA to recognize my huge stash of TrueType fonts.... It says that the fonts are "not a valid font file" or that they are "damaged", and that it cannot install them.

I've been using these TTF fonts in their current state since WINDOWS '95... they're not "damaged"! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Members

Fwiw:
Vista Pro-Audio Application Development

you caused my brain to implode instantly on that link... i cant even look at that right now.

it sucks to be in a huge production cycle and want to upgrade but CANT upgrade... i so want everything to be there [for practical reasons] but i cant right now. isnt that so disheartening?

i was talking with my neighbor today who runs MAC G5 intel with 8GB RAM and was wondering why it never accesses all of it. {censored}, i thought running 4GB was "enough" right now [especially with the 3GB tweak]. its not ENOUGH.... but its getting me by i should say. i NEED WAY MORE.

why is it i never have ENOUGH? is this some cruel joke?

• Members

I can't get VISTA to recognize my huge stash of TrueType fonts.... It says that the fonts are "not a valid font file" or that they are "damaged", and that it cannot install them.

I've been using these TTF fonts in their current state since WINDOWS '95... they're not "damaged"!
:mad:

Fwiw - I just discovered the thread below and remembered your post - it might help:

TTF Font Installation in Vista

Check it out: Try dragging your fonts on to the C: drive first.

• Members

crazy thing is im looking at 3D applications and they are 32 and 64bit Vista capable. i know they use a LOAD more power than audio, but i cant believe Adobe AE isnt 64bit on this new version. its pretty heafty on the machine cpu/ram loads.

nuendo could certainly use more RAM when using VSTi's as im pushing the limits of it constantly. 5 VSTi's and its done... well BIG VSTi's... but still, i need more power and space.

• Members

Well if DAW and Softsynths (especially samplers like Kontakt) were to actually run as 64-bit apps, I would jump wholeheartedly into the Vista arena.

With a real 64-bit memory space, it is conceivable to actually use much more than 2 gigabyts of RAM for sample space. Imagine that...

• Members

Dell is also selling Ubuntu loaded machines now as well...

MS better get their {censored} together toot sweet. Vista could be their last major OS release. I have used it, and it is just different enough to require some re-thinking, but, not different or 'better' enough to pull me off XP or OSX.

And, i am with you on building your own....pre-built have the advantage of price and close delivery dates, but home builts are much easier to troubleshoot/maintain.

• Members

I have used it, and it is just different enough to require some re-thinking, but, not different or 'better' enough to pull me off XP or OSX.

I assume with XP, the ram limit is the issue. Otherwise, why would you want ditch XP for more MicroBloat?

I love XP. Almost five years on the original install. I used to reformat and install 98 like twice a day!

• Members

MS better get their {censored} together toot sweet. Vista could be their last major OS release. I have used it, and it is just different enough to require some re-thinking, but, not different or 'better' enough to pull me off XP or OSX.

It's certainly not faster. And isn't that the ultimate Gold standard?

Have you noticed that each new WINDOWS OS release incorporates their native versions of third-party proggies you'd already been using quite happily on their earlier releases?

In the case of VISTA, it incorporates its own version of a hard-drive partitioner..... which is {censored}ty. I had been using PARTITION MAGIC quite happily for aeons on XP... Now PARTITION MAGIC triggers alarm flags in VISTA which say, "THIS PROGRAM IS KNOWN TO HAVE COMPATIBILITY ISSUES WITH VISTA."

So essentially they want you to replace an excellent third-party program with an inferior native one.

• Members

well, the drivers have to catch up... at least the 3D apps can run now, and they are pretty intensive.

Do you think technological advances drive the Software Industry?

Do you think business decisions and sales strategies might be a contributing factor to the

Archived