Used CD's: more dangerous than guns in Florida?

• Members

So now anyone selling used cds in Florida (and Rhode Island) has to get a $10,000 permit, and then thumbprint and id the purchaser...

You know, I'm really trying to avoid having to hear/watch as this nation's insanity becomes more oppressive - but ..

wait a second...

As I write this I'm thinking "wait, maybe I'm too tired and this is some sort of internet hoax I'm falling prey to"... let me check this:

nope, it appears to be "reality".

Amazing. This country is over. It was weird contemplating that things would get this weird one day, many years ago, but it's another living in it.

Is this really happening? Has anyone bought a used cd in Florida recently? Were you really thumbprinted? You had to show I.D....? Unfarking real...

• Members

From the billboard.biz..... article:

"Meanwhile, video and video game retailers are less hit. Stores selling previously owned video and video games do not need a permit, and only have to wait for 15 days before reselling the merchandise."

Why are video games different? And if cd's then why not other recorded media ? Books ?

I pretty much buy reissues of '50's R&B and old classic jazz. I have a decent library built up. If I'd prohibitied from buying online, I'll probably just stop buying.

• Members

So now anyone selling used cds in Florida (and Rhode Island) has to get a $10,000 permit, and then thumbprint and id the purchaser...

Is this really happening? Has anyone bought a used cd in Florida recently? Were you really thumbprinted? You had to show I.D....? Unfarking real...

Not the purchaser, the seller (to the pawnshop).

• Members

... and why is that?

Thank you so much, Mr. Lozada, for your internet avatar, from which we have downloaded your fingerprints. We will now match it with any music related terrorist supplies in the hands of evil-doers.

Not to worry though if you want to buy a gun and go hunting with our president of vice, Mr. Cheney.

Love and kisses,

Homeland Security.

• Members

well, a 15 day cooling off period would have stoprd me from buying those Lionel Richie discs.

See, the law has done its job :)

Seriously, this is stupid. I sort of understand the pawn shop/stolen CD portion of the law, but not the finger printing, store credit, etc. I have dozens of CDs that I don't listen to anymore, but I am sure as hell not gonna get my fingerprints taken for the $2/cd i'd get. I think this legislation was pushed by someone who got thier CD case stolen when they left their car unlocked downtown. ie a moron.

• Members

Wait a minute, I didn't catch that part..

Are you guys saying there's also a 15 "waiting" period before they can turn around and sell a cd, too???????

This is a joke, right? Some sort of "in the know" net meme I've missed by not being online as much or something? Right? I've got to call a friend in Florida, I don't believe this!

Archived