"Best Guitar Performance Ever" according to Youtube

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Huh... I'm not the hugest fan of Knopfler but I like him OK -- however this is far from his best work... I mean, there's even a full on mistake early on. It sounds like he's phoning it in. And while the guy has some nice moves, few are on display here, and the one's that are get repeated ad nauseum.

With a fair bit of decent Mark Knopfler stuff out there, it's particularly perplexing that a MK fan would think this is his best work.

This is a lot more my thing:

sXOwDDBhT80&fmt=18

or this one...

uezV4zn8tvI&fmt=18

... one drink buys the next...

7ECMzXBQ3t4

• Members

Huh...

With a fair bit of decent Mark Knopfler stuff out there, it's
particularly
perplexing that a MK fan would think
this
is his best work.

Yeah. I was wondering about that, too. Of course, I like stuff a it more rocking.

I did think he had a nice tone going. The playing seemed stiff, if you want my actual opinion. He loosened up into it, but he seemed like he'd be happier playing something else.

• Members

Hey Blue,

What the heck is with these youtube clips that have actual video?
;)

Trust me, I had to fight my way through a few vids that just had slide shows -- but the most annoying was one billed as "Stevie Ray Vaughn + Rory Gallagher" which turned out to be a static image over an SRV studio recording that clumsily seguqes into a static image over a RG studio recoding. I made sure to rate it one star. If I met that guy who put that up on the street, there would be serious trouble.

;)

And then there's this guy...

it starts getting "good" around the one minute mark...

8fV2aGO83l4

Oh sh--, I just realized that Stranger linked to a different vid from the same guy... more proof great minds think alike. In Stranger's vid, though, he actually manages to play some coherent parts -- but then he's only working one neck in that one.

"I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini..."

:D :D :D

• Members

When it gets to the end, you would not believe the stuff this guy is doing.

That is completely insane. Definitely falls into the 'too many notes' category, but just unbelievable what he can do. And yeh, that thing towards the end (and he does it at another point) almost looks like CGI or something, like your brain just refuses to believe he's really doing it.

• Members

I realize I might not come off as "in the know", but I thought he sounded good in the video when the band started kicking in. I'm not a giant fan, but do really like his guitar playing. I usually don't like tons of notes, but in this song, I think it sounds really good that way.

• Members

Assuming we're still talking about Batio, here... you guys actually got me to cut to the end of Stranger's vid of him and, yes, he actually does plays some amazing stuff. I'm not sure the most amazing of it does much for me -- but just before he does the over the neck/under the neck tapping thing where his had movement blurs considerably in the vid, he's playing some stuff that actually is quite musical. I saw the double neck thing I embedded a long time ago and laughed my head off; if you'd told me then that I'd hear him play something coherent and musical, I would've assumed you were on something. ;)

• Members

Oh sh--,
I just realized that Stranger linked to a different vid from the same guy... more proof great minds think alike. In Stranger's vid, though, he actually manages to play some coherent parts -- but then he's only working one neck in that one.

"I'm going to give
you
the keys to the Lamborghini..."

:D

That's awesome! I couldn't decide between that one and the one I posted. That's too funny.

And your other comments are noted. I'll be sure and not post vids without video.

• Members

That's awesome! I couldn't decide between that one and the one I posted. That's too funny.

And your other comments are noted. I'll be sure and not post vids without video.

Oh, go ahead and do what you want... but you'll probably avoid getting any static from me if you just warn me that it's going to be a slide show or something.

After all, I don't know if you got the PM I sent you but I put up a 'music vid' on my blog (and YT) that was

'shopped (by the project planners, I think) to include the infamous "bridge to nowhere" with lyrics flashing underneath... the only thing that changed was, slowly, over the course of about 3 minutes, the 'sun' begins to peak out over the horizon... but it's really just a long cross fade between the original picture and a copy with a 'sunrise' added in.

I warned that it was a near-static vid, in part, by saying that it was a tribute to Andy Warhol's "Empire."

So, you know... no one is without sin.

;)

• Members

No fret wanking necessary, just soul

Yeh, definitely some of the best. That's from the El Macambo DVD, right? Some of his playing on there makes me want to quit almost. When you watch someone like him, the complaints about 'just plays pentantonic stuff' doesn't really make much sense. I wish I could 'just' play pentatonic stuff like that.

• Members

Yeh, definitely some of the best. That's from the El Macambo DVD, right? Some of his playing on there makes me want to quit almost. When you watch someone like him, the complaints about 'just plays pentantonic stuff' doesn't really make much sense. I wish I could 'just' play pentatonic stuff like that.

Well, it's far from 'just pentatonic' -- it's quite complex, harmonically, in many spots. SRV was a very sophisticated player in many ways.

And buckets of soul.

When I see a guy like Stevie Ray Vaughn or Rory Gallagher play (now sadly only possible in video), I get the gut conviction that here is someone who is playing because he absolutely loves to play. Their playing drips with emotion and the joy of their musical exploration.

When I see a guy like Batio (at least playing the single neck guitar with backtracks -- I couldn't stop laughing enough to get much out of the v-neck guitar thing) I see a guy with crazy chops -- and, I'll grant, a lot more expressive sounding moves and better, more musically varied flow than most shredders -- but, at least in this vid, I really have the sense of that guy in hi skool who would show off his impressive guitar licks with grim determination, seemingly trying to make sure that he would finally be able to win the admiration of his peers and maybe get a cute girlfriend.

Archived