"Best Guitar Performance Ever" according to Youtube

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks, Lee... not maybe Gabor's most aggressive work. ;)

A very different kind of gypsy jazz guy. I think what I liked about him when I was a kid (I didn't learn to play an instrument 'til I was a couple years into college) was that he was more oriented to melodic lines, unlike most jazz guitarists of the 50s and 60s. It was a long time before I appreciated chord leads or just plain good rhythm guitar.

BTW, that 'rhythm' guitarist backing him up ain't no slouch on the chord comping, neither. ;)

PS... that Focus/"Hocus Pocus" version rocks mighty hard... first time I ever saw them up close. Somehow I always knew the vocalist/yodeler would look like that as he plied his trade... :D

PPS... Big thanks to BlueSrat -- Never seen that Django soundie before. I had not realized he had some, obviously quite limited use of his little finger, which he seems to use to pick up 9ths and 7ths on his chording. What a touch and feel! I love his lines. And I've always had a soft spot for Grappeli's unabashedly sweet -- but swinging -- violin.

• Members

I Loved that Beck clip! Also, the Stevie Ray is a classic!

For the record, I have nothing against rock guitar shredding, those guys are cool. I've always loved Steve Vai, and if you prefer some great blues/rock shredding with great tone, do a search for Gary Moore. me thinks you'll like! The problem I have with most of the Rock clips posted is that there are too many unimportant notes played. Speed for speeds sake. That was impressive in 1980's not so much now.

Anyway here's my Stevie Ray submission: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0zy0lqpOyc

And a little of Michael playin' Maggot Brain for the hell of it!

• Members

STOP THE PRESSES!

Some beautiful person put a bunch of recent vids of Jimmy Wyble playing solo in some little coffee house or tea room in Pasadena (CA)... Oh my goodness...

wxGvRFxb75k&fmt=18

85 years young in this vid from last year. As they say.

Looks like he played there THIS morning! He's got a gig on Sunday evening early there according to his website. I am so freaking there.

Oh man. I just called -- he's there Tuesdays (11am) and Sundays (4-7 pm). No cover. (No coffee -- tea only. But they say they have a tea coffee drinkers love. Ask for it. Who cares -- I'd drink muddy water.) Wow.

schedule: http://www.jimmywyble.com/jwyble_schedule.html

• Members

Ya think? :D

I first came across him in the late 80's when I was banging my head against the wall looking for a new direction on guitar. I was talking to all my more advanced guitar player pals (I'm just a dumb ex-punk rocker, you remember) and -- within about a week of each other, two separate guys (both with 4 year degrees in guitar; one also has a masters -- and plays in a gutbucket blues band :D ) gave me the same Jimmy Wyble album out of the blue, saying something like, I thought about what you were saying -- you need to hear this guy.

And I did.

See y'all at Chado's in Pasadena on Sunday!

PS... Great write-up now at All Music Guide on Jimmy. I always manage to forget that he and Cameron Hill were the twin guitars in Bob Wills' Texas Playboys in the 30s-early 40s. It just seems so improbable. He also was in Benny Goodman's band after the war, as well as Red Norvo. He recorded with Barney Kessel, toured with Sinatra. His students have included Howard Roberts and Steve Lukather.

"One of the greatest guitar talents" - Laurindo Almeida

"Fresh new literature for guitarists" - Joe Pass

"The result of a true master displaying melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic artistry..... a must in every guitar player's library. " - Tony Rizzi

"Some the most inventive music ever written for guitar. Jimmy Wyble is one of my favorite players." - Mundell Lowe

And I'm gonna be seeing him within the week.

Yeah!

• Moderators

Junior Brown!! Carrying on the tradition of guys like Jerry Reed and Roy Clark where you think, "Entertainer" then you stop and go, "WTF did he just play!!" He's from another time man. Cool.

I saw one of him recently where he did these really extreme detunings on the low E all in pitch and in time. As part of a run, getting 3 or 4 exact pitches off of the detuning of his open E. Like I said, WTF?!?

(Nice live tone on the stand up bass too)

• Members

Oh, Ethan... you're just too worried about those
golden ears
of yours
!

:D;):D

No, it was really way too loud. If it had been 1 dB louder I'd have left and demanded my money back. Worse, this was in a huge cement auditorium and the sound was so boomy you couldn't make out anything the bass player did. You'd see him flailing away like mad, but hear only rumble. Fortunately, Jeff and Jennifer came through loud and clear, and they were fabulous.

--Ethan

Archived