Just in case you were waiting for it - the Commodore 64's are back

techristian

• Members

I got my 64 from Crazy Eddie for a hundred bucks. Back then I was really into programming, and assisted in the creation of commercial spreadsheet and database products for it. Of course those were utterly rudimentary compared to the stuff today, but back then they were way cool. My little company even had some small business clients who we directly supported with custom inventory and accounting apps based on those programs.

That little business survived into the mid-1980s. But once the 386sx-grade PCs came along, all C64 business apps became utterly obsolete.

Meh. It's just a laptop sans screen.

Besides, no SID chip = NOT a Commodore 64.

• Members

Meh. It's just a laptop sans screen.

Besides, no SID chip = NOT a Commodore 64.

The software I designed was built entirely around the 6581 SID chip. It was a lead synth where I used all 3 voices of the SID to produce a strong lead voice. Anyway, if there isn't a SID, there better be a great SID simulator. From what I have read though, they should have called this beast an Amiga instead.

Check out this link. http://www.commodoreusa.net/products.html

As you can see from the above link, "Commodore 64", because this new company is also called Commodore and these are 64 BIT COMPUTERS.

I'm beginning to wonder if the people at PCWORLD even had a prototype to look at.

Dan

• Members

If he's getting $5K for a VIC-20, I'm holding out for $10K for my original TRS-80 with the mod from 4K RAM up to a massive, more than you'll-ever-need 16 K... complete with orginal Rat Shack cassette data drive, of course. (Which looked oddly just like one of their regular desktop audio cassette decks.)

• Members

If he's getting $5K for a VIC-20, I'm holding out for $10K for my original TRS-80 with the mod from 4K RAM up to a massive, more than you'll-ever-need 16 K... complete with orginal Rat Shack cassette data drive, of course. (Which looked
oddly
just like one of their regular desktop audio cassette decks.)

I had one of those!

Sadly, if I had gone with the Commodore Pet at that time, my software for Fastfingers would have probably arrived a year earlier and then I would have actually sold a few thousand units.

As it turned out, I developed Polyquencers for the TRS-80 /PAiA combo in Z80 rather than 6502. If I had developed it on the Pet, my transition to the C64 would have been much faster, not to mention that I could have used large chunks of the code over again.

When I snuck into the 1984 "World of Commodore" with my software, interface and Mattel Intellivision keyboard and set up , I was one of the very few with a piano keyboard for the C64. But the program wasn't quite finished then. I had 2 developers interested and a big buzz then, but alas it arrived finished at the WoC the next year. By that time there were 10 more C64 piano keyboards at the show.

I got great reviews by 2 magazines back then, and sold enough units to pay for my spot in the show, but no big $

Dan

• Members

An inert product or line is one that is not currently being pursued but has intact intellectual property, etc, and could, presumably be brought back to life in some fashion.

nah, I'm not buying it. Viscera makes more sense, given the context and the images available on the Commodore site.

The purpose of the quoted source is to validate the information that they have from the press release. His role is to give a context to the historical place of Commodore... or sumpthin'.

Ifwith the mod from 4K RAM up to a massive, more than you'll-ever-need 16 K...

It reminded me when my father was about to buy me my second computer and it went from 256kB up to 2MB of RAM.

... and I was like "why the hell would I ever need all that RAM???" and my dad answered "you will find it soon".

He was a wise guy. :)

• Members

I used to play a flight simulator game on the VIC-20. From what I recall, the screen was black except for the instrumentation of a Cessna (?) airplane. The manual had a map showing mountains and valleys, so one had to be at the appropriate altitude to avoid crashes, but I don't think there was any scenery or outside view from the cockpit.

Archived