Can gear make you happy?

temnov

• Members

That's it.

I remodeled my space and finally was able to use some stuff that I couldn't use before. The sound changed in a great way. That made me feel very good :)

Do you feel the same? Or you fine with what you've got and just the fact that you are making music and working on it makes you happy?

• Moderators

Just like other pursuits in life (women, food, etc) there are two kinds of happy: the quick, sugar fix that makes you high and smiley but dies out all too soon, and the slow, deeper satisfaction that comes from something of lasting quality that makes a substantial and lasting difference in your life.

One of the things I realized (and stopped) after I retired was buying for pleasure, i.e. GAS. This left me needing to find other, more sustainable ways to be happy. I looked around and realized my house was cluttered with gear that I had hardly ever used, or, in some cases, just bought but never used at all. Some stuff was still in the box or bag! :eek:

So now I don't want gear for the sake of the gear, I want gear that helps me toward my goals and makes my life easier in the process. I want gear that takes up a minimum amount of space, is simple to operate, and doesn't complicate my life. I don't want to have to think about the gear as I use it, I want it to become "part" of me, part of my subconscious process like my hands and my eyes and my ears.

And of course I want it to sound superb, to continually amaze me.

I don't want a whole lot of crayons in my box. I just need a few good ones, a few favorite colors, ones I can rely on and combine to get the combinations I need without having to spend a lot of time searching the big box for "slightly amber cerulean blue" or whatever.

If a piece of gear fits that description, its well-worn knobs will stare back at me from my rack for a very long time. If it doesn't, it will join the rest on Ebay and perhaps someone else will treasure it.

As for me, I no longer want to occupy myself with gear, I want to occupy myself writing songs and making music.

Sounds like you feel the same, Temnov. :)

:wave:

Terry D.

• Members

When I buy gear it's usually from Musicians Friend....I love to look at the toys I want, research them thorougly, pick the color or options (natural finish, rosewood/maple neck if it's a guitar for example...

Then I like to read the reviews, go to Guitar Center and test everything until they get tired of my ass and start shooting me stink eye...

I don't generally buy from them cuz they charge 7% state sales tax...when you order from MF it's usualy free shipping , no tax.

After I order, I love to track the order online...When the UPS truck rolls up I'm at the end of my driveway running in circles like a little kid waiting for the Ice Cream truck.

After I get the gear in the house, I deal with the packing peanuts, check the invoice, then go over the gear with a jaundice eye looking for dings dents scratches etc.

After that, the gear usually sits for a day or two 'til I ease into setting it up/playing it...messing with the knobs

kinda fun just the pre-buying aspect seems to give me more pleasure than actually owning it. :idk:

• Members

I don't think anything that you can purchase with money can "make you happy". Conversely, I think one can be very happy without relying on material goods to make them so.

Once you get past the bottom two rungs of Maslow's hierachy of needs (i.e., you're not starving to death and no one in your family is in danger, etc.), happiness comes from a combination of living up to challenges you set for yourself, from close relationships, and from feeling that your life has some meaning. I find happiness all over the place, in the music I make (both the process and the results), in seeing interesting wildlife, learning about the universe, laughing, spending time with my lady, seeing my son mature, and many more items of that ilk.

However, if you buy something that allows you to more easily accomplish something that subsequently will make you happy, then it's just a step on the right path. But it's not the path itself. A new guitar may inspire me to write a new song (happy), or it might sit there gathering dust and be a reminder that I'm not making the best use of my time on the planet (not happy). There are no guarantees. If you are happy, chances are you will continue to find happiness in things that other people may never notice.

• Moderators

Jeff, I believe there are actually happiness atoms flowing through my RE20. Or like happy blood. The happiness is inherent in the physical item. It lives there. All the happiness just waits for me till I plug that RE20 into either an API of an old Urie pre and... those molecules and atoms and happy blood chemical reactions actually flow out of the mic while I'm singing into it. It's like a 2 way street. Singing out/happiness in. Down my pipes and into my soul.

It is scary... but mostly it's just happy.

• Members

Jeff, I believe there are actually happiness atoms flowing through my RE20.

There's nothing wrong with that at all. I'll be the last person to tell a happy person that he/she isn't actually happy, or actually happy for the reasons they think they are. Happiness is a perception, and it doesn't really matter at all whether it's a correct perception or otherwise.

I sound muffly singing through an RE20, but that's just me. I love your recordings, so again, I have nothing bad to say about the mic or its impetus toward your sense of well being.

In related news, this guy seems to have a pretty good understanding of happiness (and it probably doesn't come from a stomp box in his case). :)

• Members

I don't think anything that you can purchase with money can "make you happy". Conversely, I think one can be very happy without relying on material goods to make them so.

Once you get past the bottom two rungs of Maslow's hierachy of needs (i.e., you're not starving to death and no one in your family is in danger, etc.), happiness comes from a combination of living up to challenges you set for yourself, from close relationships, and from feeling that your life has some meaning. I find happiness all over the place, in the music I make (both the process and the results), in seeing interesting wildlife, learning about the universe, laughing, spending time with my lady, seeing my son mature, and many more items of that ilk.

However, if you buy something that allows you to more easily accomplish something that subsequently will make you happy, then it's just a step on the right path. But it's not the path itself. A new guitar may inspire me to write a new song (happy), or it might sit there gathering dust and be a reminder that I'm not making the best use of my time on the planet (not happy). There are no guarantees. If you are happy, chances are you will continue to find happiness in things that other people may never notice.

Nicely put Weezer... :thu: I truly admire your optimism,

Your cup seems always to be more than 1/2 full.

Now, if that nice Gibson acoustic you own isn't making you happy , I will gladly take it off your hands .;)

• Members

Now, if that nice Gibson acoustic you own isn't making you happy , I will gladly take it off your hands .
;)

It's actually a Martin D-18V, my friend. And while it's merely a glued-together collection of mahogany, spruce, and ebony, I do find that the result of playing it brings a smile to my face more often than not. :)

• Members

I'm somewhere in the middle lately, learning to look at new stuff as just more stuff that I don't really need, but still GASing for a few things anyway. My inventory is still pretty basic so I'm hoping to get to where I need and be content.

• Members

No, not by itself. A beautiful and beautifully written song can make me happy. People I love make me happy. Physical things don't per se but in conjuction with other things, perhaps. If I'm writing a song and a certain guitar provides the perfect tone for a solo that would make me happy.

Happiness is not a warm gun.

• Members

It's actually a Martin D-18V, my friend. And while it's merely a glued-together collection of mahogany, spruce, and ebony, I do find that the result of playing it brings a smile to my face more often than not.
:)

you know Jeff, I just went out to gas up my Jeep and I said to myself, 'Self, Jeff's guitar is a Martin, not a Gibson,'

I was thinking of my Dad's Old '38 Gibson 'Parlor' guitar That I had put up as my Avatar awhile back.

BTW 'mahogany, spruce and Ebony' is a really happy combination of woods.

• Members

From what the OP said, it wasn't the gear that made him happy, but being able to get something from it that improved his sound. That's a winner!

Generally speaking 'stuff' owns you; makes you maintain it, keep track of it, sucking up time you could be using to do things you enjoy. Any more, the only time I buy gear is when I have a definite use for it.

That said, here's my latest toy:

DV019_Jpg_Regular_518037_close_angle.jpg

• Members

When I buy gear it's usually from Musicians Friend...

Then I like to read the reviews, go to Guitar Center and test everything until they get tired of my ass and start shooting me stink eye...

I don't generally buy from them cuz they charge 7% state sales tax.

Even though I have done that a few times myself in the past, I have to say that it is unethical to test gear at a local store, even Guitar Center, and then buy it online. You add to the store's expenses by using up the salespeople's time and you add wear and tear to the demonstration gear. The store can't control the sales tax and they also have to pay rent, utilities etc. Unlike the online retailer the store is offering you a valuable service by having the item in stock and available for you to try. That service costs the store money that an online retailer doesn't have to pay. As long as the price is reasonable (which it always is at GC) you should buy from the store that you let you demo the gear. If everyone starts buying online all the time, while still taking advantage of local retailers, demoing an instrument or device will no longer be an option.

• Members

I don`t think any piece of gear has ever made me happy in my personal life. I have had studio setups where I had a boatload of gear and nothing happened, as Blue eluded to. Then I got rid of stuff and created work to be proud of. It wasn`t the gear that made me more or less productive or happy. My production made me happy/satisfied.

On the other hand, there have been pieces of gear that have brought me years and years of satisfaction because of the quality these pieces of gear allow me: Apple computers, Avalon 737s, AT4050 mics, Roland FP-3 keyboard, Digital Performer, Reason and Waves plugs-in come to mind. Though none of these pieces inspired a song, they have made me sound better and have allowed me to better express myself and I think that that is what I`m trying to get at. Some gear allows for better expression but I`m happiest when I am producing something of quality and that can be done with just my old trusty guitar, a piece of paper and pencil.

• Members

For many years, I would buy lots of gear one piece at a time to equip my studio. I'd buy something on a 90 day same as cash deal, then in 90 days after it was paid off I'd buy something else. Over the years I ended up with a lot of equipment. Most of it's outdated now and it's all proved to be a big waste of money, but it made me happy, and even today I don't want to sell any of it. If I would have bought silver instead, I'd be a rich man today.

• Members

I've always been much happier when I coveted music ability rather than music gear. Coveting ability and skill (not referring to merely being a better technician), at least to me, means living in the moment- you can always do something to improve your playing. Also IMO, improving your skill is more likely to help you acquire the gear than vice versa.

But mainly, my happiest moments have been the feeling of accomplishment I got from being able to do something that I had not been able to do the day or week/year before.

• Members

I have some gear that makes me happy inside by what it does, mostly microphones do that. The other stuff is just good tools that get me to where i hear. I become unhappy when i cannot achieve that. so having the gear to get there makes me happy in this pursuit. The u47 on well played acoustic guitar or the right stringed instrument is euphoric to me.

As are certain sounds sent to 456 1/4 track tape. As is a great guitar amp or drum, tuned just right.

But as for being happy about buying gear, it's more of an illusion, i get happy when i purchase it, wait desperately for it, then check it out and the romance is gone and it becomes a tool, hopefully a good one. There are gems though that constantly deliver and satisfy those are the magic happy tools.

Massive passive

Trakker

EL8

Electronaut M63 tube pre

KM56's

U47

M49

AEA R84/88/92

Blackface Fenders

etc

Archived