Can gear make you happy?

temnov

• Members

Good happy list, Roomjello!

having the gear to get there makes me happy in this pursuit. The u47 on well played acoustic guitar or the right stringed instrument is euphoric to me.

That's what I'm talking about!

And thank you Philbo for expressing it's better then I did :)

From what the OP said, it wasn't the gear that made him happy, but being able to get something from it that improved his sound. That's a winner!

• Members

Even though I have done that a few times myself in the past, I have to say that it is unethical to test gear at a local store, even Guitar Center, and then buy it online. You add to the store's expenses by using up the salespeople's time and you add wear and tear to the demonstration gear. The store can't control the sales tax and they also have to pay rent, utilities etc. Unlike the online retailer the store is offering you a valuable service by having the item in stock and available for you to try. That service costs the store money that an online retailer doesn't have to pay. As long as the price is reasonable (which it always is at GC) you should buy from the store that you let you demo the gear. If everyone starts buying online all the time, while still taking advantage of local retailers, demoing an instrument or device will no longer be an option.

yeah, I agree in a sense, actually I do buy from them, straps, cables mic, stands,lots and lots of strings, picks, t-shirts, close-0uts, tuners...biggest thing I bought was a Danolectro guitar a few years back...it was a real 'oinker' (not GC's fault) so I gave it away,

I am actually on good terms with the peeps at GC even though I kiddingly indicated othewise, and have brought them band friends who made two big purchases, A PA and a full kit of high end drums over the last few years.

I have never taken up a salespersons time, I am retired, I usually go in the afternoon on a weeday when the store is empty and the sales peeps are standing around...no one ever comes over, unless they are bored and want to shoot the {censored} with me.

BTW Guitar Center has owned Musicians Friend since 2000...they also own HC

• Members

Ahhh, gear. I like researching gear but... I do not purchase it unless needed. My gear makes me happy but I don't need to buy all the time.

My wishlist of new gear is

* fishman acoustic image blender

* 12 channel mixer

Pretty limited, my few guitars do me well ('89 washburn, '83 fender strat), along with other instruments. I've a few pedals but I've moved away from them. I've a great ashdown acoustic amp that I use for multiple purposes. But with the exception of a few bits and pieces (I find I don't use my TC Helicon VoiceTone Create XT as much as I'd like), I pretty much play and use all my gear on a weekly basis and *that* makes me happy.

In fact my audio interface seems to have bitten the dust, but since I've been playing a lot more live recently, it hasn't bothered me much.

• Members

I am happiest when I can be creative. I love creating something--- a synth patch, a digital sample, a song, a complex room impulse, an arrangement--- when I can really "get it right", and feel proud of my abilities. Hardware and software that allow me to do this certainly do make me deliriously happy.

I think the only time I had something resembling "buyer's remorse" was when I bought a rather fancy octapad-type drum-trigger setup. I learned, to my disappointment, that I am not much of a drummer, haha.

But most musical possessions do indeed thrill me.

• Members
Hardware and software that allow me to do this certainly do make me deliriously happy.

While getting and using properly a new gear, mostly hardware, makes me happy I found out that I stopped using bunch of plug-ins that I bought druing the years.

It's not like it makes me un-happy, it's just the gear I'm getting in last couple of years sounds great and will keep value for years to come while plug-ins are quickly going out of service. Kind of unexpected discovery :(

It is the GEAR.

Am I getting to pro-HW guy? Will my next topic to be like " Plug-ins suck"? Don't think so, however it's a full circle for me personally. Starting with all analog in 80s, going back full digital in 2000s and getting back to hardware in 2010s.

• Members
While getting and using properly a new gear, mostly hardware, makes me happy I found out that I stopped using bunch of plug-ins that I bought druing the years.

It's not like it makes me un-happy, it's just the gear I'm getting in last couple of years sounds great and will keep value for years to come while plug-ins are quickly going out of service. Kind of unexpected discovery
:(

It is the GEAR.

Am I getting to pro-HW guy? Will my next topic to be like " Plug-ins suck"? Don't think so, however it's a full circle for me personally. Starting with all analog in 80s, going back full digital in 2000s and getting back to hardware in 2010s.

I do find it funny how over the years I have downsized with each studio build. As I write this, I have an iMac in front of me, the Duet 2 connected to 2 Avalon 737s and headphones. I`ll connect my keyboard tonight. That 20 space rack that used to sit to my right is now in the corner waiting to be sold on eBay. As computers get faster and faster and the sounds sound better than ever, I will most likely continue on this inward path. My Waves plug ins still amaze me and I don`t expect plugs to go away any time, I actually expect them to sound so good within 5 years, you`ll see lots of hardware on the market for cheap. Just my POV...

• Members

Yeah, plugs will sound better compared to other plugs, but I'm afraid we've already lost our former hi-fi point of reference, so they will only sound better to a degree to those of us who still have good hardware to compare.

And it

• Members

Jeff makes an important point - I'm a firm believer in the fetish aspect of possessions. Meaning that things seem to have a power in themselves, but they really don't - it's our attitudes and values that have the power.

But in the sense of everyday lingo, I'm ok with not quibbling and saying that some of my gear has made me very happy. My Guild dreadnought sounds better and better as it ages, and I would be so very :cry: were it to get nicked, and I love the way it sounds more all the time, very :):) indeed.

nat whilk ii

• Members
That's it.

I remodeled my space and finally was able to use some stuff that I couldn't use before. The sound changed in a great way. That made me feel very good
:)

Do you feel the same? Or you fine with what you've got and just the fact that you are making music and working on it makes you happy?

YES. Next question!

• Members
I play several instruments, so it's everything, really

Several for me, too :) But in general it's a new set I just finished with good converters and several OTBs. It's not GAS, I had this gear for a while but couldn't use it for mixing, just recording. And I'm getting more mixing jobs than before.

• Members

HELLYES gear can make you happy!!!! LOL I can't tell you how happy my first real keyboard made me (a 5 octave KORG Triton LE with the EXB-SMBL option) and how many thousands of hours of joy it gave me....same goes for all the gear in my sig now, I can't tell you how much enjoyment I get from having all the musical stuff I do on my computer that I can control with 88 wieghted keys with AT, 2 pedals, once of which I can use to control the MW so I don't have to take my hands off the board, the other I can assign to whatever, assignable footswitch, dedicated sustain pedal, and a breath controller I can assign to whatever, not to mention 32 assignable knobs and 24 buttons to control all the musical stuff on my computer via my BCR2000, that makes me happy, being able to use actual knobs in real time as opposed to a mouse, not to mention the fact that all the sounds and music making possiblities of Reason and Logic make me EXTREMELY happy....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It'll make me happy if I sell it !! Today I brought some dj gear I bought years ago to a music shop and put it on consignment. Hopefully it'll sell and I'll get some bucks. That will make me happy. I really don't see myself dj'ing anymore, so selling off the system makes sense. I'm doing it this way instead of E-Bay because the gear is very heavy and shipping would cost a bundle.

Archived