Someday I may become an American.

audioicon

• Members

Thats because your citizenship can be rejected and or terminated.

Because if you are an Arab, colored person, your patriotism is questioned everytime you try to be apart of something.

Maybe people wouldn't feel this way if they were made to feel apart of something.

AI

I don't think anyone denies that racism still exists here in the USA. I wish it didn't. We've come a long way though.

The KKK and people like Jeremiah Wright are now the fringe aspects of our society and not the norm.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Just curious, and please with all due respect you don't have to answer this question if you don't feel like answering.

1) Is your wife black and of color?

2) Is your wife a muslim, does she wear a turbin or a scarf?

3) Is her father a muslim?

4) Did she every traveled to Saudi Arabia?

5) Did she pray at the airport?

Yes, to all those questions!

Uh, no. By the way, I was is no way equating someone else's experience with my wife's. But, I was pointing out that even as different her experince may be from your's, or someone else's, I have learned 1st hand that it can be tough. As tough as your experience? I don't pretend to know and I suspect not. But a thick skin is needed for this. No?

Do you wear a turbin?

• Members

The president also swears an oath going into office, but W seems to think The USC is just a goddamn piece of paper. Maybe that's where people get these ideas.
;)

Well, the oath is more a declaration if intent "I will faithfully execute"..."to the best of my ability" (protect the constitution, as opposed to the USC...the USC would probably best fall under the first part and if he did it in good-faith...)

;)

• Members

Nothing is stopping me! The truth is I'm at a time in my life where
"a document" cannot convince me that I'm part of something."

I think the document he (she?) was describing is not to convince you so much as it is to document a change in citizenship so that you can do things like vote in fed elections.

Americans are Americans. Well, at least that's what I use to think.

ooh, that's a tough one - esp as we are a union of states "Americans are Amercians" is a pretty broad brush

• Members

As far as I know, nobody from the McCain camp has ever called Obama a Muslim. What McCain has called Obama is a tax and spend liberal. With the most liberal voting record in the senate, it is clear Obama is just that.

The fact that Powell has made these lame excuses as a reason for supporting this extremely liberal candidate makes me lose my respect for Powell.

I agree.

• Members

You remind me of the people who rate the movies, like the movie critics.

No matter the how the movie was put together, people will have their own views about it.

Threads are virtual conversations, sometimes they are not sequential.

But I respect your views.

Apparently nothing I have said appeared to matter to you when it comes to the actual subject but rather to dissect and scrutinized what I'm saying.

Well, you are entitled to your views and opinion just as I am.

AI

I read everything you said. I chose to address one part of it that is not only contradictory, but also perhaps educational IF you choose to stop and think about it for a moment. You lamented about others being able to see past stereotypes, while you yourself presented a very old and all-too-common common one. Ask yourself why you might harbor such a generalized view, and you might just find the answer to your own question - perhaps because it's very easy to think in terms of shorthand generalizations rather than specifics?

But anyway...I agree with your statement about not needing a piece of paper to define your citizenship. In my opinion that's quite true - somewhat akin to the benchmarks of one's patriotism being adherence to things like the Pledge Of Allegiance, which I find to be somewhat ridiculous: a verse that came along many years after the country was founded; was re-written during an anti-Communist movement in the 1950s to include "under God" specifically; yet if you don't choose to stand in the correct position with everyone else & say The Magic Words about how you love our piece of cloth more than anyone else's, you are suddenly somehow un-American - as if a truly subversive person would hesitate to go through the motions while tearing down the edifices of our country.

Of course, on another level it really is all about that piece of paper...

• Moderators

Audioicon,

My neighbors are Iranian/American. The mom, our friend was wearing a berka as a kid in Iran. Her daughters were born here and are your average American girls.

One day one of the girls was over hanging out with my daughter and some of her other friends. One of these friends asked, "What are you?". That's what American kids ask each other. We're a melting pot. So the 'what are you' means, what's your heritage? She replied, "Terrorist". I about fell out of my chair laughing. This kid is 13. She deals with unfair scrutiny all the time. "Terrorist? What do mean? I want to know what nationality your mom is". She again replied, "That's my heritage. My mom's a terrorist."

Funny kid. Tough kid. She just smiled at the other kid asking. She recognizes ignorance and has come up with a means of it not getting in her way. Unpleasant? Uh, yeah. Does she have a choice? Perhaps. Seems to me though, she's got better things to do than get bogged down in other people's stupidity. Like I said, smart kid.

• Members

Audioicon,

My neighbors are Iranian/American. The mom, our friend was wearing a berka as a kid in Iran. Her daughters were born here and are your average American girls.

One day one of the girls was over hanging out with my daughter and some of her other friends. One of these friends asked, "What are you?". That's what American kids ask each other. We're a melting pot. So the 'what are you' means, what's your heritage? She replied, "Terrorist". I about fell out of my chair laughing. This kid is 13. She deals with unfair scrutiny all the time. "Terrorist? What do mean? I want to know what nationality your mom is". She again replied, "That's my heritage. My mom's a terrorist."

Funny kid. Tough kid. She just smiled at the other kid asking. She recognizes ignorance and has come up with a means of it not getting in her way. Unpleasant? Uh, yeah. Does she have a choice? Perhaps. Seems to me though, she's got better things to do than get bogged down in other people's stupidity. Like I said, smart kid.

I'm not sensitive to these statements! I have traveled all my life and have seen my share of "hate" nothing is new but what bothers me is when you live in a country that's suppose to be an example of modern civilization and these things continue to happen in what I considered the most advanced moments of our time is just disturbing.

Again, I understand your point.

AI

Archived