Which pickup for Strat do you prefer?

dimibetan

• Members

The only single coil sized HB's I've owned or have extensive experience with are the Hot Rails, the Cool Rails, the SD Little 59 and the 10K Lil Killer. I currently have the Lil Killer in my main strat and have had for about 2 years. That will change, probably this evening, but I personally still like the pickup and that entire guard will go into my #3 strat.

On the other hand, another forum member, the opinion of which I value, says he doesn't care at all for the Lil Killer in the middle of one of his strats. I think he has a couple Dimarzios or maybe Duncans in the other positions and he feels they are obviously have better tone.

:idk:

The Hot Rails is the definitive pickup if you want boosted mids... Think Iron Maiden. I personally wouldn't get the Cool Rails specifically for a metal tone. The Little 59 is metal capable, but not ideal. I put a Little 59 in the third MIM I ever owned and it always worked pretty well for me, but I wasn't very metal at the time. I'm still not, but I used to be enough to know what works for metal and what doesn't.

I'd go for the Hot Rails if you want that type of tone, or the Lil Killer if you want a more balanced tone rather than the mid peak type tone.

• Members

I've got SD custom hot flats in mine and they do manage a fairly heavy sound, not as well as a purpose built metaller, but better than any "normal" strat.

Have you haken your pick guard off, it's quite likely the body is routed either HSS or swimming pool, allowing you to either change the guard for a hss or make a small cut in your guard to accommodate the HB

• Members

Thanks, but the electronics would be complicated if I have two passive and one active pups.

Then the Dimarzios. I would do a Chopper cause its brighter. But the Fast tracks good for metal. I think the Duncan humbucker singles are a little muddy/fuzzy sounding with lots of gain. But I do prefer the sound of Dimarzio over Duncan. Never tried the GFS, but I hear great things about em.

• Members
I have the most experience with the Hot Rails. Yeah, I'd say that pickup can do metal: just ask John 5 or the guys from Iron Maiden . . .

I'm also eyeing the
Rio Grande Railgunner
pickup, which claims to be their BBQ in a Strat configuration. The BBQ is a hella sweet pickup: that could be worth checking out too.

rgwc_thumbnail.jpg

whoa!!! $98!!! :eek:

• Members

Ok...

If I were to send my Strat to a luthier and make it HSS, what Humbucker do you prefer for metal?

- DiMarzio D Activator-X

- DiMarzio X2N

- Seymour Duncan Alternative 8

- Duncan Distortion

- GFS Crunchy Rails

Your comments and other suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks!!!

• Members

Ok...

If I were to send my Strat to a luthier and make it HSS, what Humbucker do you prefer for metal?

- DiMarzio D Activator-X

- DiMarzio X2N

- Seymour Duncan Alternative 8

- Duncan Distortion

- GFS Crunchy Rails

Your comments and other suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks!!!

BG-Pups.com - Custom wound for your desires

Archived