kjaerhus Classic EQ - anyone use it? It's freeeee...

UstadKhanAli

• Members

Gentlefolk,

I came across this Dominion modeling device. I don't think i can use it, but it seems interesting, so I'm passing it along because I'm a sweetheart of a guy. :D It's not a compressor, but allows you to shape the attack/sustain.

http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.php?item=2&subItem=4

dominion

signal modelling device

What is dominion?

If you were searching for a tool to shape the envelope of a signal, giving you total control of the signal's attack & sustain phase, dominion is certainly something for you!

But it's got more to offer...

• Members

Welcome to the land of the cheap and free VST. The rest of your life will be sent sifting for gold in the gravel...
;)

:D

Before, I was limited in what I could look for because I couldn't use the VST-RTAS wrapper. This opens up a gigantic world since there's a LOT of stuff in VST.

I believe someone on the GearSlutz forum mentioned that jacking the high shelf at 10kHz produced beautiful results that sounded "analog" because of the 4x oversampling and that it sounded much better than his other plugins.

• Members

Though they ain't cheap, you have to look at the URS stuff. Lots of good stuff there. URS has iLok based demos so you can demo them without commiting. The Channel Strip Pro provides a lot of stuff in a single plug.

CCSP looks awfully tempting. Here are a couple of reviews:

Pro Audio Review: URS Plugins Classic Console Strip Pro

Sound On Sound: URS Classic Console Strip Pro

...and a 1,000+ post Gearslutz thread:

URS Classic Console Strip Pro

It can be had for less than $500, if you're willing to do some digging -- not cheap, but still a bargain for what it does, IMO.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I'm in the middle of rewiring my studio to accommodate the new computer rig/Digi002, but wanted to thank everyone again for sharing their great advice and knowledge.

In my search for various stuff, I came across some VST plugins that might be of some use to some people, the Blue Cat Audio stuff. On my system, when I used the controls quickly, it glitched and caused everything to stop several times, so be aware of that. I got a dialogue box that said that I was running out of CPU power (I was not). However, when I started it again and used the controls more calmly, all was good. This did happen several times, though.

I also came across what appears to be a killer analog delay-type plugin called the Audio Damage Dubstation. You can listen to a quick demo on the page, and it sounds really great, and the price is only $39. They also have a free compressor plugin called the Audio Damage Rough Rider, which I think someone mentioned here before. I haven't tried it, actually. Maybe later!

I ended up going with the Massey TD5 delay because it better suited my needs and plus I had already downloaded the demo and gotten familiar with it, but the Audio Damage Dubstation does sound really great.

I also purchased the Massey L2007 Limiter, which seems to sound much better than my old Max DUY (granted, I'm comparing the Massey to a nine year old plugin).

And I purchased the Massey Tape Head. This latter one works really well, although it's very strong, and for many applications, using it on the lowest or next to lowest setting seems to work just fine. However, if you want major tape saturation-type effects, this works quite well.

I think I have all the essentials to create a good mix...well, I'll probably have to get that Tel-Ray Variable Delay plugin at some point because I absolutely love that thing, but otherwise, I have some good stuff.

The hold-up here with the Tel-Ray is that Geoff and others have mentioned that Waves prefers (requires?) its own iLok, and I'd have to get another iLok just for the Tel-Ray. :( I'll probably hold off and see if it comes with PT 8.x. We'll see.

Thanks again!

• Members

The TelRay is great, but it's always been part of the optional "Factory" bundle -- don't know if that'll change with PT8...

...but if you like plugins based on funky old delays, check out the free WatKat by GSi (Watkins Copicat tape echo) -- lots of fun! The Roland 201 plug is very nice, but not quite up to the level of the UAD version (but it's a fraction of the cost, too).

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=products

While you're there, try the demos for their VB3 and MrRay73 MkII instruments (excellent hammond/leslie and rhodes). The Type 4 is the best spring reverb plugin I've ever heard -- good stuff.

• Members

Waevs doesn't require it's own iLok. If there's a problem, I assume it would be with the other package. Waves is now using all standard iLok mechanisms and there shouldn't be any issue. That might have been a problem in the past perhaps when they were using their own proprietary mechanisms, I dunno.

Definitely check out the Fish Fillet bundle. It's free and is very useful, particularly for a heavily saturated, lo-fi sound.

And also definitely check out the Stillwell stuff. Very inexpensive and good stuff.

• Members

Gotcha, thanks. I'm just finishing up a mix in which I used a lot of the Stillwell Vibe EQ and the Massey Tape Head, and they've already improved my mixes a lot. Great stuff. There's a really cool quality with the Tape Head that sort of "glues" things together in a way that my compressors cannot do. Beautiful. Great for overheads, snare, and even on the Master Buss. Sounds really really good.

And that Massey L2007 limiter is amazing. Doesn't squeeze the life out of stuff, but gets it louder, especially in Vibrant Mode. Very nice stuff.

Thanks, Dean!

I hope you're right about that iLok/Waves stuff. I just had a couple of people mention that and was nervous about getting in to more iLok stuff.

• Members

Effects > uncheck 'Commercial' and 'Unreleased' > Search = 821 free plugins

I've been searching through there. It's really great. That's a super great website anyway, whether it's free or not. I have no problem paying someone for their plugins if I am going to use them. I've paid for three of them today already, and paid for the Stillwell Vibe EQ a couple of days ago, and I think they're a steal at the prices that they're going for.

• Members

Waevs doesn't require it's own iLok. If there's a problem, I assume it would be with the other package. Waves is now using all standard iLok mechanisms and there shouldn't be any issue. That might have been a problem in the past perhaps when they were using their own proprietary mechanisms, I dunno.

It's true that Waves doesn't require that you get a separate iLok for their products, but they want you to nonetheless -- or they did the last time I checked into it. I doubt that preference has changed as my understanding is that it's because they don't play by Pace's rules when it comes to authorized iLok replacements. The link below contains the only relevant information I could find online:

Waves V4 and V5 iLok Policy

It might be good to call Waves to find out for sure though.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Gentlefolk,

I came across this Dominion modeling device. I don't think i can use it, but it seems interesting, so I'm passing it along because I'm a sweetheart of a guy.
It's not a compressor, but allows you to shape the attack/sustain.

Yeah, the digitalfishphones stuff is very good as well. I think he now works for MAGIX. You might want to take a look at the "free" sticky I started over in the recording vorum. A long read, but lots of good stuff...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006407

Gentlefolk,

I came across this Dominion modeling device. I don't think i can use it, but it seems interesting, so I'm passing it along because I'm a sweetheart of a guy.
It's not a compressor, but allows you to shape the attack/sustain.

The Digital Fish Phones stuff is a must have Ken - at least grab the compressor (Blockfish) and give that a try - like the Kjaerhus stuff, it's definitely worth the download. :)

BTW, there are a ton of threads over in The Trenches with good freeware VST suggestions. While I have occasionally found a VST that won't work with the FXpansion VST / RTAS wrapper, the vast majority of the ones from major companies or large / well-known indie coders (Massey et al) seem to work just fine with it. Of course, there's the Mac / PC issue (not all of them are cross platform capable), but the wrapper should open up a lot of possibilities for you!

• Members

That link is for V4 and V5, which are old versions. V6 does use standard iLok mechanisms, as I pointed out in my post. There's no problem having a single iLok. You could do it in V5 as well, since I did it all along.

Dean, I feel like you're talking about apples and I'm talking about oranges. To be clear, I'm not talking about whether or not it was technically possible to use a single iLok with your Waves products and other products. It is possible, and it has been for years now. We're in agreement on that.

What I'm talking about is whether or not Waves recommends that you use a separate iLok for their products.

I just called them ten minutes ago and talked to their sales department to get the official word. What I was told is that they did recommend that their customers use a separate iLok for their products -- until they released version 6 (in July of this year). If you have version 6, then that recommendation no longer applies -- but it's still recommended for versions 5 and earlier. I was also told that the reason they recommended that their customers use a separate iLok for Waves products through version 5 was that Waves was unable to transfer its iLok authorizations to other iLoks before version 6. Now with version 6, it is possible move your Waves authorizations to another iLok.

Lastly, I was told that the reason that they don't allow Pace to cover Waves products with Pace's "Zero Downtime" policy is that Waves Upgrade Plan version 6 users are automatically covered already.

The bottom line is I was right that Waves wanted their users to purchase separate iLoks for their products (up until four months ago), but I was wrong in my assumption that they still do for their current product line.

I hope that clears everything up.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

The Digital Fish Phones stuff is a must have Ken - at least grab the compressor (Blockfish) and give that a try - like the Kjaerhus stuff, it's definitely worth the download.
:)

BTW, there are a ton of threads over in The Trenches with good freeware VST suggestions. While I have occasionally found a VST that won't work with the FXpansion VST / RTAS wrapper, the vast majority of the ones from major companies or large / well-known indie coders (Massey et al) seem to work just fine with it. Of course, there's the Mac / PC issue (not all of them are cross platform capable), but the wrapper should open up a lot of possibilities for you!

The wrapper already has opened up a lot of possibilities, and I've just scratched the surface. I don't need too much stuff, but these things all sound good.

Blockfish looks intriguing because of this description:

You can remove the front plate and make further adjustments on the circuit board.

Everything is possible: clean, transparent, loud, punchy, silky, subtle, fat. But still with a unique sonic character.

blockfish_pcb.jpg

• Members

Ken
, I'm sorry that my information was out of date.

Best,

Geoff

There's definitely no need to apologize! Actually, the whole discussion seems to have cleared up a lot here, which is great.

I made some of the computer tweaks that you linked to, although I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had already done almost all of them already.

• Members

Yeah, the digitalfishphones stuff is very good as well. I think he now works for MAGIX. You might want to take a look at the "free" sticky I started over in the recording vorum. A long read, but lots of good stuff...

That's a great thread! I stumbled across that when I was doing a search for something, but didn't realize that you were the one who started it! Great thread! Thanks!

Archived