Most Versatile Electric Guitar?

runnrdad

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know if it's THE most versatile electric guitar ever made, but it's the most versatile I've ever owned. It's a limited edition goldtop Fender Tele with dual DiMarzio humbuckers (Air Norton/Tone Zone) both with coil split. The neck pickup sounds great split, and gives an excellent Fender single coil sound - better than any split humbucker I've heard. In humbucker mode, it's warm and rich and gets close to Gibson territory, as does the Tone Zone in the bridge which is fat as hell and screams on high gain leads with amazing sustain. I never thought I'd be able to get Santana-type tones out of a Tele, but this does it. If I want classic Tele twang on the bridge, I can just flip the switch to single coil mode - not quite as bright as a true single coil, but close enough. And the middle position with both pickups only adds to the tonal variety.

• Members

well it depends on how you define versatility, if its the guitar that can do the most genres, its the strat, but a strat sounds like a strat no matter what, its hard to get a thicker tone out of it and you cant make it sound like a les paul. so if you are looking at the guitar that can get the most SOUNDs, it would probably be a PRS of some sort or an ESP PB500

• Members

I would say the BC Rich Perfect 10.... take off four strings and it goes from sounding like a 12 to a 6. It has coil and phase switches for Strat or L P sounds and Vari sound to dial in the more compressed PRS sound. I just took off the bottom tuners because I do not need all the versatility...but I can put them back on if I ever feel the need for a 12 string sound.

• Members

Vox Virage. The 390 pickups provide a a lot of tonal variety.

Maybe this. Strat is the obvious answer, especially with a splittable bridge pickup, and it may be the right one. After playing a 335 quite a bit over the last week, I was reminded of all the things it could do very well, from amazing blues to RAWK. Since the Virage kind of takes that to the next level, I think this is a good answer. Maybe a tie???

On the other hand, with it's 25" scale and great playability, I often think that my PRS is the only guitar I really need. So, I guess a three-way tie for me!

• Members

If you could own only
one
guitar, and you wanted to play like Larry Carlton sometimes, Mark Knopfler sometimes, and Brad Paisley sometimes, which
ONE
guitar can give you the greatest range of sounds?

Probably a tele if i wanted the sounds of those guys.

But i'd always rather have the playability of a strat.

• Members

Archived