Most Versatile Electric Guitar?

runnrdad

• Members

People always seem to say a Strat, or HSS Strat. Yes they're definitely and obviously versatile, but in my opinion so is any guitar when you know how to tweak it and the amp settings.

This.

I would have a V because I like them. If Albert King and Lonnie Mack can work the blues around the V like that, it's clear any guitar can work any role as it's secondary to the player behind it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Definitely an ES-335. I've owned Strats and Superstrats and played plenty of Teles and Pauls. A good ES can hang in there with a Les Paul for rocking out on the bridge pickup and can get some good twang on the bridge played clean as well. Warm jazzy tones on the neck pickup, and the middle has a nice zing on the top end. The semi-hollow gives you more clarity from the humbuckers than a solidbody, so while you'll never nail Strat tones, you will still get great articulation.

• Members

I'd say any Fender as you can drop in whatever pickups you like and have it anyway you want. You could have a strat with any mix of single coils and humbuckers.

Personally though I'd rather have a telecaster, maybe with 3 pickups just to make it a tad more versatile. I just get on with them better then strats but I do like the middle/neck pickup sound.

Archived