Fretboard replacement.

joseflovesyou

• Members

I'd like to replace the fretboard on my silverburst SG, with an ebony board with NO inlay

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Electric_guitar:_Fingerboards/Gibson_24-3_4_Scale_Fingerboard.html

So, stew mac makes that board, 24 frets.

Is their room on an SG, to put a 24 fret board on? It looks like their is enough room between the end of the current board, and the neck pickup, so I think it's covered in that way, but would that last 2 frets just be... not glued to anything, and just floating there? Is this possible?

I realize this is purely frivolous, but I personally don't collect guitars anymore, and I'd just like to make the one I have absolutely perfect.

I also plan on getting the headstock bound in pearl.

• Members

Man... good luck. Sounds expensive. I'd imagine a minimum of $200 for the fretboard plus another $200 minimum for a refret. Probably closer to $300 for the fret work.

Having said that, an ebony board with no inlays on a silverburst sounds pretty hot. :eek:

Looking at my SG, it does look like you could squeeze 24 frets on there and have maybe 1/4" left. But you/he would have to rig up something on the body to make up the difference in space between where the body ends and the fretboard would begin.

• Members

Yes, you can do that. The last two frets overhanging would be no problem, in fact I would see no reason why the luthier couldn't fill in with something underneath. That little plate that's there now only covers the gap where the neck tenon comes out. Are you going to want the fretboard bound? I've replaced fretboards, and for me, the binding and refinishing is the hardest part. Unbound I'd guess $200 to install the board (the ebony board itself will run about $40) and another $200 for frets. Not sure about the finish.

• Members

Yes, you can do that. The last two frets overhanging would be no problem, in fact I would see no reason why the luthier couldn't fill in with something underneath. That little plate that's there now only covers the gap where the neck tenon comes out. Are you going to want the fretboard bound? I've replaced fretboards, and for me, the binding and refinishing is the hardest part. Unbound I'd guess $200 to install the board (the ebony board itself will run about $40) and another $200 for frets. Not sure about the finish.

Bound for sure.

And yeah, I know it's going to cost a ton, but that doesn't really matter to me. Having my dream guitar, is what's important.

Another question... something I probably wouldn't do, but it could be an option, since I'm sure it would cost much less. So perhaps just something to do for now, until I have more money...

Would a luthier take out the pearl inlays it currently has, and be able to put in wood, ebony inlays?

Cost?

Would it be noticeable, that they are inlays?

• Members

I am very aware of that fact, i am suggesting 22 frets be kept.

For what reason? There is 24 fret SGs out there, the supreme, and I believe the Diablo. I can't think of anything it would effect negatively, besides just the... not being the "standard" Which I don't care much about it being like a stock guitar, clearly.

• Members

Unless you want to see about moving your neck pup, you may not have room for 24.

But, you do what you want.

Well yeah, if it came to that, I wouldn't do it, but on an SG, I'm pretty sure there is already room for 2 more frets.

What about replacing the inlays with ebony? You seem like the right person to ask such a thing. How noticeable would it be that they are inlays? Price?

• Members

Would a luthier take out the pearl inlays it currently has, and be able to put in wood, ebony inlays?

That's do-able, and surely easier than replacing the fingerboard although that's possible too. It wouldn't be invisible, but you might like the subtle visibility of it anyway. You'd get new frets either way.

Having said that, my recommendation would be to have somebody custom-build that guitar for you. Or order it through Custom Shop.

• Members
That's do-able, and surely easier than replacing the fingerboard although that's possible too. It wouldn't be invisible, but you might like the subtle visibility of it anyway. You'd get new frets either way.

Having said that, my recommendation would be to have somebody custom-build that guitar for you. Or order it through Custom Shop.

Archived