Best EG Practice Amp... Any Suggestions?

dimibetan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I made my comment above, but with the Vox Pathfinder popping up, I'll add my 2 cents to that piece.

I think the cleans on them are amazing for the price and size. They sound more deep, resonant, and tube-like than you would or should expect. But agree, their overdrive tone sucks (although a kid might enjoy them - it's got two gain modes and variable gain). But I've also found that with a Digitech Bad Monkey up front, they sound pretty damn good. (I picked up a couple of those pedals for $30 each) I was really surprised how well that little solid state amp takes pedals (in a tube amp - like manner).

I've A/B'd my Pathfinder against the Cube 30 I bought for my stepson and I preferred the cleans on the Pathfinder - the Cube sounded more cube, i.e. boxy.

So you could buy the Pathfinder R and add a pedal for Christmas or next B-day.

But I wouldn't deny the versatility of a Cube or a Vox AD series.

But I don't want to vote above cuz I haven't tried out the Line 6 or Peavey Vypyr.

• Members

Another possibility I've run across in researching small amps is the Vox DA5, DA10 & DA20. I've heard the DA10 is the best sounding of the three. Anyone have any experience with those? Battery portability and built-in attenuator.

BTW, I'm an IT guy with an obsessive need to research and

• Members

Aren't they over his price range?

You can find the standard G-dec for 250 or less, sometimes dipping below 200. And since it's a great practice amp, but not a great gigging amp, the G-dec, G-dec 30 and G-dec executive often show up in like new condition.

If I were buying the amp, I'd go with the Micro Cube. It's a no brainer. But since we are throwing out all the options, the g-decs should be in there.

• Members

I have the Micro Cube & the Vox DA5, Both are great in thier own rights. I prefer the Vox. You can consider small tube amps Blackheart, Fender Champ and on & on. But the Micro cube & the Vox sound good at lower levels plus "mom & dad won't be yelling to turn that crap down". They have good built in effects and take well to many different type of guitars ie... Single coil, Humbucker, P-90...blah blah blah. Plus they are both relatively cheap $125.00 to $139.00. The Vox even has adjustable wattage out put. 05, 1.5, or 5 watts.

Good Luck

• Members

I just got the new Vox VT15 tonight and it's :love: !!!!

Highly recommended!

Sounds much better than my Vox DA5 and it's much better (has more features) than my Vox AD30VT! The presets are actually nice on it! (I never use them on the AD30vT because I don't like them!)

• Members

I'm planning to buy an electric guitar practice amp for my (favorite) nephew's birthday.

He's just starting to learn how to play, actually (Inspired by me
:lol:
).

Anyway, do you guys have any suggestions?

Not too expensive and not too cheap either (maybe around $100-$200).

I know, my nephew will learn well using a good practice amp.
:thu:

Thanks

as far as your poll options go id go with the cube, i've heard alot about the vypers malfunctioning.

have you considered a pod or v-amp? something that he can play with headphones so that he isn't bothering his parents, they're just as versatile as any modeler out there very cheap used and can always be ran into an amp when he gets his chops up.

• Members

the roland cube series amps are great,i had a 20x for my first amp...unfortuneately i had to trade it + cash for my fender power chorus 2x12...but i do likes my fender:D...the vox practice amps are supposed to be killer.i'm not a big peavey fan but the transtube stuff seems pretty cool...but you definately wouldn't be dissapointed with the roland cube series...

Damon

• Members

I have the Randall rx35 dm. I think it is a good amp. The gain channel is awesome. The effects are ok for what they are. They also have the similar model that doesn't have built in effects. I think the Randalls always seem to take a back seat to vyprs and cubes and that shouldn't be the case. There is just something about that Randall gain sound that I love.

• Members

Roland Micro Cube. IMO an ideal first amp. It will give you some different sounds to play with (amp models/effects) and when you are ready for a bigger amp for gigs/whatever, it will still serve as a portable/travel/outdoor amp. If you are looking for something larger, I like the Vox AD series.

Archived