Best EG Practice Amp... Any Suggestions?

dimibetan

• Members

I'm planning to buy an electric guitar practice amp for my (favorite) nephew's birthday.

He's just starting to learn how to play, actually (Inspired by me :lol:).

Anyway, do you guys have any suggestions?

Not too expensive and not too cheap either (maybe around $100-$200).

I know, my nephew will learn well using a good practice amp. :thu:

Thanks

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd say a spider combo of some sort, now they definetly arent gigging amps but hey thats not what you need.

they are simple to use and fairly versatile for the money

Which Spider combo: Spider III 15, Spider III 30, or Micro Spider 6W?

• Members

The general consensus for best practice amps seem to be the Roland Cube series or the Peavey Vypers. Both are known for quality sound, reliability, and also will give your nephew a slew of sounds and effects to mess around with.

You are a cool uncle

• Members

Yeah, a Roland Cube (micro cube perhaps?) is the way to go. besides being nice little amps, the parents will love you for getting something with a headphone jack

Actually, my brother is on guitars also. He planning to buy him a cheap MFx. I think the 15x will do. Probably, it will mess-up my brother gift because it has built-in fx. :lol:

Thanks

Edit: mess-up means my nephew will probably use the MFx seldom because of the amp has built-in fx.

• Members

Roland Cubes are great.Find a used Cube 60 and your good to go.

Too powerful in my opinion. I have a 30x and its great and I can keep up with drummers.

Do you really want someone learning to have a gig worthy amp?

Even a 15 would suffice but the 30 does sound better and would be good for a long time.

Billy

• Members

Too powerful in my opinion. I have a 30x and its great and I can keep up with drummers.

Do you really want someone learning to have a gig worthy amp?

Even a 15 would suffice but the 30 does sound better and would be good for a long time.

Billy

I think the 60 or the 30 is too loud. It will only be for home use.

Maybe good for me:lol:, but not for my nephew.

How about the Vox Pathfinder 15R (cheaper)?

Since my brother (his father) will buy him an MFx, means no need of built-in fx.

• Members

Either the Roland Cube or this Vox http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483551

Or if you can go $280 and you think he might be more of a "metal guy" AMS has a pretty good deal on the Marshall Microstack these days. The MG15MSZW. Good for getting a multitude of Marshall-esque tones at practice volumes. Surprising amount of bass too coming out of the two 10s. More bassy naturally than my Fender Blues Jr.

• Members

For lower price small combos I like the little line 6 spyders too. The 15 or 30 watt version. The latter has more sound versatility and would sound fuller then the 15 so would rank it first choice of the two. You should really concider getting something that has enough power like the 30 watt one so he can jam with friends some too. Makes for better learning experience imo.

The Marshall microstack if you can find great condition one used since is little above your stated budget. Not as versatile as the spyders, but very good marshall tone for kids. He could use just one cab for at home for softer volume stuff, and both when jamming with friends when more volume and sound projection is needed,

• Members

How about the
Vox Pathfinder 15R
(cheaper)?

Since my brother (his father) will buy him an MFx, means no need of built-in fx.

Those get a lot of love around here, but I bought one and hated it. Sounded like there was a sweatshirt stuffed in the speaker. Make sure you play before you buy and buy the exact one you play. I also have a AD50VT that has gone tits up on my and it's just been played in the bedroom, so I'm not impressed by Vox's reliability.

• Members

...Make sure you play before you buy and buy the exact one you play...

Just curious... I havent tried Vox amps, actually. This is for my nephew, special but not too special. I might have GAS on the "too special" and keep it rather than giving it (ya know what I mean?).

Yes, Im going to try those amps you all have suggested.

And I will still wait for other suggestions. Maybe a day or two...

• Members

How about the
Vox Pathfinder 15R
(cheaper)?

I have a Pathfinder 15R and get some good tones out of it. It does have a headphone jack, so that's a plus. It does not have a CD/line input jack though...and that might be useful for someone just learning, if their instructor is going to have them play along with practice tracks.

• Members

I was thinking of that or the 20X.

Definitely go with a modeler of some sort, and you can't go wrong with any of the Cubes. They're all fantastic. I keep trying other practice amps, but always come back to the Cubes (I've owned a few). I've tried all the modelers, and the Cubes are the best. I keep trying the Spiders and try to like them, but the tones of the Cube just blow them away. The tones on the Spider are just so sterile and digital sounding. I REALLY tried to like the Vypyr, but all the ones I've tried have had this terrible, very obvious digital fizz trail with even a slight amount of gain. They're also reported to have serious reliability issues (apparently the highest defective return rate of any item at GC). I also tried to like the Vox VT series (both the old and new), but all the models sound so ice picky, harsh, and uber-bright to me, no matter how I adjusted the EQ (and I've tried tons of these amps). The overdrive tones are decent, but the cleans are over-the-top glassy and ice-picky.

So I'd go with one of the Cubes. I'd personally go with the Cube 20X over the 15X (which I did) for the effects, the Tube Drive Model (which is great!), and the footswitch option. It also has an acoustic modeler, which sounds decent if you're not an acoustic purist. It'd be great for a beginner who doesn't own an acoustic, for sure. The Micro Cube amp is (very) cool too, but don't expect to jam with others, play in a band, etc. with it. But it's nice to have around in addition to other amps. Personally, I'd go with the 20X for him, as it will grow better with him and allow him to eventually start playing with others (hopefully sooner than later).

Anyway, I'm widdling down my amp collection, so my Cube 20X is hitting the chopping block, if you'd be interested. Love the tones from this amp, but apparently paying rent is more important to owning another amp.

Archived