Learn the notes on the fretboard

scolfax

• Members

I get that, but I wonder if it's smarter practice to know both octaves immediately.

One reason not to take that approach would be to keep the information bite-sized. And you're really learning both at the same time anyway.

• Members

I got 31 in a row and quit the test.....

Not sure what the point is, to be honest.

Once you know them, you know 'em.

Doesn't teach you what notes "go" with what.....just where they are.

Right. The point is.... for people that don't know them. Also, I think the online test isn't that great. You have to be at the fretboard.

• Members
no point in learning south of 12

its the same as 1 - 11 as far as notes go at least

Let's not forget that the scale gets shorter and shorter and that some fretboards change radius the higher you get on the neck. So it your hands have more learning to up there as well :cop:

• Members

Everyone should go through the exercise that you did, that's great! Actually, that's one of the first exercises in Fretboard Roadmaps.

But the point of the videos is memorizing the fretboard, the next step to knowing how to derive where the notes are. Meaning, can you go straight to the, say, A note on the third string without having to think about it.

And the approach the video guy is taking is not to relate each note to a note two strings over, which is one way to do it. He also suggests going through the natural notes in the order: CBDFEGA, which makes sense if you watch the vids.

Archived