Edwards Guitars

baja85

• Members

I'm considering purchasing an Edwards guitar from Katana Guitars, and was wondering if any forumites have gone this route, and what their experience was like. I'm mostly concerned with shipping costs and the condition o fthe guitar upon arriving. If you've got any info for me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance, guys.

• Members

Yeah, I've only heard and read great things about the guitars themselves. I probably should have been more clear about looking for information on the shipping process, but it's 3AM where I live, so yeah.

• Members

I think most of the time guitars coming out of Japan use EMS. My experience has been that EMS is faster than just about anyone, and your package will arrive safely.

You can also check out EBay. There are a few Edwards sellers on there, and you might get a better price.

• Members

I would buy a used Gibson Classic off ebay for about the same price as the Edwards guitars on ebay. Also Gibson has a higher resale value. This one is alittle cheaper, 3 to 400.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ESP-Edwards-Lespaul-standerd-long-neck-tenon-Japan-made_W0QQitemZ120416161465QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item1c095cceb9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

• Members

Buy used from Ishibashi...this one is on there for just over 700 bucks..and it's the top of the line edwards if i'm not mistaken...(relic'd...)

3164335043.jpg

and this one for 530 bucks..

3162729041.jpg

shipping will be about 120 to 150 on top...and it will arrive packed so insanely well you'll actually get annoyed at how long it takes to get it out.

• Members

no offense to my fellow red stickian, but I'm not sure if the LP classic can touch the Edwards consistantly. I feel differently about the historics, of course.

I agree. I still feel a sadness in my heart for ever letting go of my old Edwards goldtop Les Paul. When I bought an LP Classic goldtop to fill that void, I got sick of it after a week. Good guitar, it just didn't match up I felt.

• Members

Do we break open the China issue in this thread?

You mean this?

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13235

I didn't know that. I thought they were MIJ. I don't know for me personally it kind of means something to have it properly "made in Japan". I do think the decades of experience in building probably makes some kind of difference.

But having said that, if ESP has their QC down then I suppose it doesn't matter too much. And Edwards do have a stellar rep no matter where they are made.

But honestly for the price of a new edwards you could also pick up a proper MIJ HANDMADE Bacchus series and I've seen them used on Ishibashi for less than that top of the line one I posted the pic of. You'd have to be a bit more patient on the used ones but personally I'd take a Bacchus any day of the week over an edwards.

• Members

You mean this?

I didn't know that. I thought they were MIJ. I don't know for me personally it kind of means something to have it properly "made in Japan". I do think the decades of experience in building probably makes some kind of difference.

But having said that, if ESP has their QC down then I suppose it doesn't matter too much. And Edwards do have a stellar rep no matter where they are made.

But honestly for the price of a new edwards you could also pick up a proper MIJ HANDMADE Bacchus series and I've seen them used on Ishibashi for less than that top of the line one I posted the pic of. You'd have to be a bit more patient on the used ones but personally I'd take a Bacchus any day of the week over an edwards.

That thread got locked, there's more info here...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/42463-edwards-made-china.html

• Moderators

You mean this?

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13235

I've now owned 3 Edwards and the guitars are excellent. The recent revelation has got me pretty excited as I'm hoping it'll drive the used prices down a tad, and it certainly won't help the new prices either. My 56Ri was superb, great build and great sound even with Seymour Average pickups.

However it's given me a different point of view on the Grass Roots range which are obviously the same guitars except with budget hardware and electronics, great modding platforms

• Members

I have 2 guitars from Katana

Both shipped japan to Canada In 5 business days.

Both times no damage at all.

I was shocked by the packaging. I was worried about shipping a guitar in a gig bag. To my surprise they didn't even put the guitar in the gig bag. Just single boxed with a papertowel roll to support the neck volute area. and some air filled plastic bags. and some newspaper to fill the box and protect the frets.

I wouldn't ship a guitar across town like that. but 2 got here with no shipping damage.
1 in new condition the other was a demo that had one ding.

Then I emailed to ask what string gauge was on the lp so they sent me a free pack of Curtis Mangan strings. weird.

Nice guitars though

• Members

Throw in the recent price increase, the $140 shipping charge, Made in China and the fact that the doller is equal to the yen now, these guitars are fine guitars, but they are no longer a good deal anymore by any means. I love mine, I will probably die with it, but it wasnt perfect, and I had to have a fret level done to it to get it to be playable. Wouldnt buy another one unless I could get it cheap. There are better guitars in the same price range that I would much rather have.

• Members

What's the word on Tokai? Are they made in Japan still? Because there's an absolutely stunning Les Paul copy in the UBOX at Ishibashi and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

Some are some aren't. depends on the model. The black one they have says MIJ on the back of the headstock. The burst is probably too judging by the price point...all the pictures won't seem to load. I think you'd be pretty safe with those.

Archived