Edwards Guitars

baja85

• Members

well thats one story going around the web, as far as I`m concerned it hasn`t been proven just hearsay from a few people on the web...some guys have e-mails saying it`s true...others have e-mails saying it isn`t...so for me it`s still just a rumor, not that I lose sleep over it or anything `cause I get em used for less than half people are paying for them overseas...if you really want an Edwards...make sure it`s from the Duncan series that came out early this decade...prior to those they most often came with ESP/Edwards p`ups and menay of the Les Paul types had bolt on necks...but once they decided to make em with Duncan p`ups they really took off abroad...funny `cause in this city I think I`m the only one who buys em...not sure how popular they are in the big cities but up here, not so much. To me they very much look like the MIC Burnys I see in local shops so it wouldn`t surprise me one bit if they were made in the same factories...those Burnys come with Duncans too now so they`d just have to add a different name on the headstock but I asked in the local Rock Inn and was told there is no China connection while other folks on the web insist there is, one thing for sure...ESP knows but they ain`t spilling the beans, and one reason may be...if there was a China connection they`d be even less popular here that they already are, so maybe ESP doesn`t wa nt to reveal the truth...anyways...I`ve never once heard or read Japanese people talking about the MIC MIJ thang...evidently people here don`t care or won`t buy them even if they are entirely MIJ.
So...keep an eye on the Ishibashi U-Box and get a used one and save a few hundred clams.

• Members

I'm so confused...I've always thought edwards guitars were 100% MIJ....I've played loads of MIJ and MIC guitars and there is no comparison IMO. I would never pick up a chinese made guitar (or a korean one for that matter) but I've owned and loved many japanese made ibanez, fender, and squier instruments and been totally satisfied...over the last year or so I've considered buying a used edwards but this thread has kind of ruined it for me....I guess I've just played so many {censored} guitars from china and korea that i couldnt justify buying one.....so, what's the deal? made in china, assembled in japan like highway one fenders are made in mexico and assembled in the US or are they fully made in japan?

also, zenbu, you say people in japan dont buy edwards guitars? if so, why not?

• Members

I just bought an Edward E-LP-92 from Ishibashi, and it is a fantastic guitar, regardless of where it is made.

If ESP controls the factory, gets good quality wood, makes sure the machines are running properly, ensures QC, why it would matter where it's made?

• Members

I'm not yet buying the MIC thing. As far as I can tell it's an unconfirmed rumor.

If it does turn out to be true, it wouldn't make any difference to me. I judge a guitar on how it plays and sounds, not where it's made. My Edwards is my #1 and a better LP than the Gibsons I've owned.

• Members

yeah I was playing my Edwards strat last night, unglugged mind you `cause the wife was sleeping, but I just love the neck on that thing. I have Edwards/Duncan strats, Les Paul types, a LP junior and had the 335 type...all very nice indeed, and if I come across a tele I`m gonna buy it too and remember I get em used for great prices so I ain`t complaining. If thats the quailty of MICs nowadays, we may have to get used to the fact that most Japanese companies will move production there because they`re doing a find job, but like I say, there are conflicting stories all around the web sites I visit and pardon me if I don`t believe everything I read on line eh...just that theres so much bad info on older MIJs out there that I`ve become a skeptic. Are the Edwards/Duncans nice guitars...youbetcha...are they the best MIJs today?...not by a long shot, but it`s really difficult finding anything negative said about em.
I wouldn`t consider myself qualified to speak for all of Japan, but in the city I`m in, the Edwards just ain`t popular...I`ve seen many sent back to Tokyo because they weren`t selling in local shops and you know players here have been getting used Gibson Les Paul Standards for around $1000.oo so they prefer those.. There are no Edwards/Duncans in the local Rock Inn at this time, couple of used ones but the kids running that used gear shop now have no idea on pricing so if they drop their prices, I may be interested but not like I NEED more Edwards though I`d love a tele.

• Members

So...keep an eye on the Ishibashi U-Box and get a used one and save a few hundred clams.

Anything Ive seen in the U box is still priced in the $600-$700 shipped range. Overpriced unless you live in Japan and can yahooauction Japan one for half that.

If ESP controls the factory, gets good quality wood, makes sure the machines are running properly, ensures QC, why it would matter where it's made?

My experiance shows that the woods and the manufactering is just so-so.

I'm not yet buying the MIC thing. As far as I can tell it's an unconfirmed rumor.

You dont think it just a wee bit odd that 0 Edwards have Made in Japan written somewhere on them or about them? Not on the guitar, not on the papers or manuals, not on the website, nowhere!

• Members

I've bought two Edwardseseses from Japan, one from Ishibashi (E-CY-165CTM), and one from Ebay (Flying V... can't remember which seller off the top of my head). Both were great guitars, shipped with EMS, arrived in no time at all and in perfect condition. The V I just got with the standard cheapy soft case, and it arrived packed nicely with no problems. The 165CTM I bought a hard case for, which the guitar shipped in (plus the included softcase packed on top of it) and again, no problems. I've never had any problems with stuff shipping out of Japan actually, and I've bought a few things from there over the years.

• Moderators

If thats the quailty of MICs nowadays, we may have to get used to the fact that most Japanese companies will move production there

But isn't that already the case with the majority of Japanese consumer goods?

Why should the guitar industry differ?

All of the Japanese giants from Matsu{censored}a Electric Industrial Co, down to Tanaka tools, have some sort of Chinese manufacturing base going on.

China has almost a billion and a half population, and some of them are highly educated, trained and motivated, so why would anybody be surprised that they can knock out high quality products under a watchful Japanese eye?

• Members

But isn't that already the case with the majority of Japanese consumer goods?

Why should the guitar industry differ?

All of the Japanese giants from Matsu{censored}a Electric Industrial Co, down to Tanaka tools, have some sort of Chinese manufacturing base going on.

China has almost a billion and a half population, and some of them are highly educated, trained and motivated, so why would anybody be surprised that they can knock out high quality products under a watchful Japanese eye?

truth.

you don't hear many people turning the noses up at Japanese consumer electronics, now they have got over the initial "transistor radio" story. Or Japanese cars for that matter.

I seriuosly doubt that it is widely known quite how much is actually made in China and what an impact that has on global economic dynamics.

Still, China-bashing is a popular sport and China is a convenient target for many people.

• Members

we`re discussing guitars so thats what I`m refering to, I haven`t done a survey on what percenatge of goods sold in Japan are actually made here, I do know there have been plenty of news stories on Japanese companies busted for importing goods from other Asian countries and relabeled them as being Japanese, particularly food stuffs because they can get higher prices if it says MIJ.....many have been caught but I bet it`s the tip of the iceburgh.
Even if ESP came out tomorrow and said the Edwards/Duncans are MIC I wouldn`t stop buying them for $350.oo~$450.oo...if Ishibashi is now selling theirs for prices quoted above I guess they seen how much big nosed devils are paying for their Edwards overseas so why not jump on the bandwagon? I wouldn`t be surprised to learn that guys selling youse Edwards on line from Japan are buying them used and flipping them for quite a bit more. But if I never buy another Japanese guitar I`ve already got more fabulous models than any one guy could use in a single lifetime, I`ve been very lucky.
Of course lots of stuff comes from China...and Viet Nam and Korea etcetcetc... but the food scares over the last year/year and a half have had a huge impact on MIC goods sold in Japan now, not to mention the milk scandal that occured inside China, theres a lot of negative residue from that still. But I think things will settle down and China will replace Japan as the biggest Asian economy in the very near future, they are just too big to ignore, so Japan had better wake up and smell the coffee or they will be in for a rude awakening.

• Members

also, zenbu, you say people in japan dont buy edwards guitars? if so, why not?

The Japanese are EXTREMELY demanding on the pedigree of the guitars they buy, hence the Yamano "hand picked" Gibson Les Pauls. Google yamano gibson, see what's goin' on over there.

I'm sure they're just as determined to get the best Fenders, too.

Archived