John Mayer updates a pic of the prototype black relic

campfirehero

• Members

Fender no longer uses nitro in production. That particular compound is illegal in California.

Seriously, nitro is toxic.

MOST "nitro" production guitars these days are layered thinly on top of a poly finish. And that is done off site, where guitars are shipped to another source for painting (hence the price hike). That way you still get the desirable checking over the years - but the instrument remains stable.

Nitro finishes are still being supplied (you can get them online from various paint stores), but only weekend warriors and independent luthiers seem to be using them anymore.

And even then, most of them don't bother with nitro simply because of the risks involved in the spraying process.

• Members

Why does the mere mention of John Mayer's name make me want to throw up and punch something at the same time?

Because of the fact that he is a douchebag, but you can't help but respect his damn good guitar skills.

But I like his music so it's good either way for me.

• Members

i never realized his bridge, saddle etc are gold.

Also have there been any other artists series guitars that are reliced? and when the do that is it by hand or is there a mold they layover while spraying the paint? Just curious...

• Members

i never realized his bridge, saddle etc are gold.

Also have there been any other artists series guitars that are reliced? and when the do that is it by hand or is there a mold they layover while spraying the paint? Just curious...

off the top of my head, the SRV strat and Rory Gallagher

and for the price you pay for Custom Shop, I would imagine its all done by hand.

• Members

Why does the mere mention of John Mayer's name make me want to throw up and punch something at the same time?

Because you are too thickheaded to get beyond the two singles you heard 8 years ago to realize that John Mayer is an incredibly talented guitarist. And you have anger issues

• Members

I should invent a relic robot.....it'll play the {censored} out of your guitar day and night.....until it looks bitchin'. :cool:

Next.....drop and bang your guitar on stuff when you aren't pay any attention while you're walking down the hallway with your guitar strapped on because you want to see yourself in the mirror robot.

• Members

Fender no longer uses nitro in production. That particular compound is illegal in California.

Seriously, nitro is toxic.

MOST "nitro" production guitars these days are layered thinly on top of a poly finish. And that is done off site, where guitars are shipped to another source for painting (hence the price hike). That way you still get the desirable checking over the years - but the instrument remains stable.

Nitro finishes are still being supplied (you can get them online from various paint stores), but only weekend warriors and independent luthiers seem to be using them anymore.

And even then, most of them don't bother with nitro simply because of the risks involved in the spraying process.

they do it in their arizona factory

Archived