Growing paranoid about my health

Phait

• Members

Man.

Always something new with my immediate family in the last couple years. How about a breakdown as far back as I can think?

But first off, my mom and my dad have nothing wrong with them, aside from dad having a bit of high blood pressure and slightly overweight.

- Grandpa died in 1990 due to emphysema from long term smoking at I think 71

- Grandma died last year at 87 (long good life) after kidneys failed due to some kind of late bone cancer, also was anemic.

- My other Grandpa has some kind of cancer he's living with, he's in his 60s

- My other grandma is diabetic and has some heart problems, she's 69

- My cousin was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome last year (I have heard she walks like my grandma did in her old age) -- in her 30s

- My other cousin now has to have a tumor removed from her uterus and she is also anemic, she's in her 30s

- My aunt who told me the former and has gotten my head spinning about this... has to have a couple thyroid glands removed as one has some small tumors or something, plus she had a bit of skin cancer on her nose (nothing I could ever notice) - she is perhaps 58

- My other cousin who is 25 recently was found to have a tumor or cyst probably in uterus (she had a couple kids in recent years), I believe it was benign though

The rest of the family which is healthy excluding mom or dad... my 2 other aunts have nothing that I'm aware of, my eldest uncle (62) is by far the healthiest of us all never had anything, always eats very well (eschews sugar a lot, eats whole grains, yada yada), keeps fit, great energy, my other uncle who is 59 has been smoking all his life, eats a lot of red meat, drinks diet pepsi and has a thing for sweets has nothing wrong with him.

Interestingly, the trend is that these health problems are more dominant in women of the family.

I'm just wondering when I'll get something and die before I'm ready. :mad::(

• Members

Our fates may be written... certainly, the ultimate is certain.

But it's always struck me that those who are convinced they know what the future holds are usually fooling themselves.

But, that said, there is no doubt that such a prophecy can prove to be self-fulfilling...

If you think you're going to die young, you may well take chances, big and small, you might not otherwise take.

Now, that could be good, or it could be bad... but if you put yourself in danger's path too many times, it would appear you're increasing the likelihood that such a vision of the future may well come true sooner than it might have, otherwise.

• Members

Have you ever heard of the concept that we make things happen or come to fruition by designing and solidifying the detail of the event in our minds by constant thought and focus?

Think about it. Anytime you have really wanted something badly enough to obsess over it until it happened, you got that thing, whether it was a job or a piece of gear or a girl etc.

Well the power of the truth of that carries over to the negative side as well.

If you dwell on your mate cheating on you, losing your job or poor health etc etc long enough, you are doing nothing but fertilizing the grounds for those exact things to happen, and if you continue they will and do inevitably happen.

So think of your self as happy and healthy, envision yourself being healthy and happy, envision yourself as powerful and in control of your state of being and make it all positive rather than dismal.

It may be your only option.

• Members

I don't believe that "The Secret" nonsense at all. If willpower was so strong, so many of us would be a lot better off. Attitude has an effect but it won't manifest physical things or states-of-being.

Well the "secret" is a project a bunch of schmucks did to make money. The concept has been around for centuries, just because it was made into a girly movie doesn't make it moot.

Your will power is very strong you just have to choose to use it Phait.

The problem is most people don't realize they have that ability.

I'm not going to try to talk you into it but your attitude is clearly one of a person who isn't taking charge of themselves because they believe they do not have that ability. Will power is a force at your disposal, like electricity is, you have to direct it somewhere useful, or it just sits there unused.

A question, if it isn't you controlling you, who is it?

If you relinquish control, that means you are basically just reacting to everything that happens around you. You will end up emotional and erratic and afraid.

• Members

I don't believe that "The Secret" nonsense at all. If willpower was so strong, so many of us would be a lot better off. Attitude has an effect but it won't manifest physical things or states-of-being.

Take the Dalai Lama personality test. Just 4 questions and the answers will surprise you. Get pencil and paper to write your answers as you go along. You will need it at the end. Please be sure that your answers are what you really feel.

This is fun to do, but you have to follow the instructions very closely. Do not cheat.

MAKE A WISH BEFORE BEGINNING THE TEST !!

1) Put the following 5 animals in the order of your preference:

Cow

Tiger

Sheep

Horse

Pig

2) Write one word that describes each one of the following:

Dog

Cat

Rat

Coffee

Sea

3) Think of someone (who also knows you and is important to you) that you can relate them to the following colors. (Please do not repeat your answer twice. Name just one person for each color:

Yellow

Orange

Red

White

Green

4) Finally, write down your favorite number and your favorite day of the week.

• Members

I'm not doubting willpower as a useful thing in and of itself but what I got from halljams post and which reminded me of The Secret was that by sheer willpower you can manifest things to come to fruition such as curing an illness, waking up and wow you won the lottery, and look the stormy clouds parted just before you were to cancel a great day of golf because of sheer willpower. No. That would be god's job, if there is one. Life is too full of variables.

• Members

I'm not doubting willpower as a useful thing in and of itself but what I got from halljams post and which reminded me of The Secret was that by sheer willpower you can
manifest things to come to fruition
such as curing an illness, waking up and wow you won the lottery, and look the stormy clouds parted just before you were to cancel a great day of golf because of sheer willpower. No. That would be god's job, if there is one. Life is too full of variables.

Have you heard of yogi's who can stop their heart beating, can you do that?

Why? Because you have never spent any time learning how?

Have seen musicians who blow your mind?

You know how much mind boggling effort it takes to achieve some things, so discounting your own ability to access certain powers is just as silly as saying i can't ever be a great musician. It is simply giving up before you start or not really wanting it in the first place. But it's there if you want it.

Curing illness and preventing illness especially are in a very real way assisted by your mentality.

I think you are copping out by throwing the cloud parting and lottery comments in there. Lumping it in with silly {censored} doesn't justify your rejection of it at all.

• Members

Phait, if you are concerned about your health then see a doctor for a physical.

I just had one done for the first time in many years. It felt good hearing that everything is in good order on me. The doctor can tell you things you need to watch for based upon your test results. It's a good habit to get into.

Attitude has an effect but it won't manifest physical things or states-of-being.

As a person who has suffered from depression in my past I can assure you that your attitude can have physical affects. People with depression can often experience a range of health problems. Halljams isn't kidding you. Your body's ability to fight off disease is definitely affected. Have you ever seen someone who looked ten years older than they are? A lot of times those people live miserable lives.

I'm trying to remember about how old you are. Mid-twenties maybe? You're at a stage in your life where you may still have some inertia from being a teen, but you are probably developing some of the habits which will have negative affects on you as you grow older (maybe drinking, smoking, less exercise etc). These are the years where you can form habits which help keep you healthy as you hit your thirties, forties and beyond. You can make those changes at just about anytime, but it's harder to do the older you get. Start small and work your way up.

• Members

Phait,

Stress and depression are very capable of having adverse effects on one's anatomical or physiological state of being. Mindset can also play a huge role in one's successes or failures in life.

I won't get off into a long drawn out lecture about negative vs. positive thoughts, but there's a LOT to be said for believing in yourself and your own capabilities.

As far as the two young lady relatives that have experienced problems with female organs; the birth control pill has caused many women, both young and old, health issues relative to premalignant or malignant tumors on their uterus or their ovaries. I, personally, underwent two surgeries between the ages of 23 and 28 because of adverse side effects stemming from the usage of birth control pills. After getting off of the pill at age 29 to start a family, and ending any need for future birth control upon the birth of my 2nd child; I have never had any recurrences of the cancerous or precancerous symptoms.

I'm a firm believer in adopting a healthy lifestyle to maintain a healthy life. If you are consuming foods, drinks, artificial stimulants or sedatives, cigarettes, drugs, and other things that are not good for you; you WILL decrease your lifespan. If you live ruthlessly on the edge without taking any precautions to avoid tragedy or you deliberately place yourself in harms way; you WILL decrease your lifespan. Exercise and eat right and you will prolong your life and feel better in doing so.

On the flip side, if you worry TOO MUCH about living a long and healthy life and you avoid ALL THINGS that "might" be fun because you are afraid you might get hurt, or hooked, or you might enjoy a bit of laughter, and even worse yet, you might die by allowing yourself to live; then you have already let yourself die inside....

This is a fantastic song and offers a lot of good advice for those that think life has got the better of them.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Moderators

"Growing paranoid about my health"

Paranoid - Exhibiting or characterized by extreme and irrational fear or distrust.

Extreme and irrational. I know you're using the term to make a point but don't dismiss it too quick. You said paranoid. The modern definition might be: freaked".

You don't think being freaked about your health might have some effect on your health? Forget the Secret for a second. We do become what we think about all the time.

Take 2 kids with the same background. Now feed one thoughts of despair. Of mistrust. Of feeling deprived of what's "theirs".

Feed the other thoughts of opportunity and possibility. Have him picture the positive result of his dreams and aspirations.

Who's going to do well? And your thoughts don't effect you and how your life turns out? Even your health? Especially your health?

Archived