Can I Use Lighter Fluid To Clean My Les Paul

bobc

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would NOT use windex. It has amonia in it and can scratch the finish. I won't even use the stuff on my car windows. Naptha (lighter fluid) is used all of the time to clean and polish instruments. Keep it off the fretboard because it could dry it out if it is rosewood or ebony.

Have you used it? Yeah...that Windex is one of the strongest abrasives known to man!

:rolleyes:

I have used it with no damage of any type to poly or nitro finishes. Takes all the grease and fingerprints of the finish and then you can use any guitar cleaner you prefer over it.

• Members

Have you used it? Yeah...that Windex is one of the strongest abrasives known to man!

:rolleyes:

I
have
used it with
no
damage of
any
type to poly or nitro finishes. Takes all the grease and fingerprints of the finish and then you can use any guitar cleaner you prefer over it.

I have not used it, and will never use it.

I've read and heard that cleaners with ammonia should not be used for cleaning guitars. I guess it depends on the Windex you use.

"Windex

• Members

I sometimes just remove the dust with a clean micro fiber cloth, and proceed with the Turtle Wax.

You would think Turtle Wax would be the worse thing you could use on a guitar but no, It works very well.

I visited a small guitar workshop in Paracho. The guys there made the most beautiful spanish guitars. There are many low quality factories in the same little town but a few high end guys and this was one of them.

I commented on the gorgeous finishes and they handed me a can of Turtle wax! I agree that a may be a hassle in the future if you ever decide to refinish because of the silicone but damn, it does make 'em bright!

• Members

Paracho guitars are -or used to be- very famous. Must have been great to be there.

Just to be specific, the one recommended by Suhr and Taylor is Turtle Wax Express Shine.

They build a lot more junk now and the tiny town has grown into a medium commercial town but there are still a few home shops that still build the top end guitars and really only a handful of them a year.

I live about a three hours drive from there.

• Members

Like others have said, my first thought on reading the title was wtf? Stupid question, but why not just use something that's designed for the job like, say, Gibson guitar polish? It's not expensive and there's no risk of your guitar spontaneously combusting.

• Members

I've never been there, but had heard of the place when I bought an acoustic guitar in the late 80s or early 90s. The closest I've been to Paracho is probably Chapala.
:)

Chapala? About three hours away from Paracho. I haven't been to Chapala in ages although I travel to Guadalajara all the time. Dang lake almost dried up but I hear it has recuperated and is back to normal now. :thu:

• Members

Like others have said, my first thought on reading the title was wtf? Stupid question, but why not just use something that's designed for the job like, say, Gibson guitar polish? It's not expensive and there's no risk of your guitar spontaneously combusting.

IIRC, the first time I read about using lighter fluid as a cleaner was while reading Dan Erlewine's guitar repair book.

http://books.google.com/books?id=zF24JMkjSpQC&dq=Dan+Erlewine&printsec=frontcover&source=an&hl=en&ei=OoIaSoPrA6WyMM_f4ZMP&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4

Guitar techs, luthiers, and others have been using alternative products with great results for many years. I've gotten better results from some of these products, while some "official" guitar products have been a disappointment. Some of these alternatives can eventually become "official" guitar products, as was the case with Meguiar's.

• Members

Chapala? About three hours away from Paracho. I haven't been to Chapala in ages although I travel to Guadalajara all the time. Dang lake almost dried up but I hear it has recuperated and is back to normal now.
:thu:

I was in Guadalajara in 93 I think. Beautiful place. Amazing Tortas Ahogadas :D

You're probably one of the few people here who will appreciate this picture so I'll post it:

2434526520031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

I think it's from the late 90s. I got to jam with him and Rafael Salgado, his harmonica player. Good times!!!!

My favorite harmonica player is still Jose Cruz (Real de Catorce).

• Members

Please don't use windex. I have permanent white/cloudy marks on the top of my wine red les paul custom from that {censored}. I feel a little sick every time I think about it. I wish I had the money to have it looked at by a pro finish guy. Maybe someday, I wish I just left the guitar dirty. Uugh

• Members

Hmmm....

OK...I've got a question....what would be best to bring a HW-1 Fender up to a gloss? And could it be tinted? I've got a blonde HW-1 P Bass and I want the neck a little darker and the body to have the same gloss shine as where my arm has buffed the top.

• Members

Please don't use windex. I have permanent white/cloudy marks on the top of my wine red les paul custom from that {censored}. I feel a little sick every time I think about it. I wish I had the money to have it looked at by a pro finish guy. Maybe someday, I wish I just left the guitar dirty. Uugh

Depending on how deep your finish is and how deep the windex has gone into the finish this may take it out. I use this on all my finish jobs and by hand it polishes out nicely.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Abrasives,_polishes,_buffers/ColorTone_Polishing_Compounds.html

• Members

Hmmm....

OK...I've got a question....what would be best to bring a HW-1 Fender up to a gloss? And could it be tinted? I've got a blonde HW-1 P Bass and I want the neck a little darker and the body to have the same gloss shine as where my arm has buffed the top.

Buffing it out will be best.

A fine cut or swirl removing polishing compound and a buffing wheel or polishing pad. I would learn from someone who knows what they are doing, because if you don't do it right, you can leave swirls and scratches.

I don't know hat kind of sealer the HW1 uses, AVRI's use a poly sealing coat, thin skins use a nitro one. The difference is the nitro sealing coat will shrink into the grain with the nitro finish, so you'll never be able to maintain a mirror-like gloss.

• Members

Won't the lighter fluid leave your guitar smelling somewhat like gasoline?

Naptha evaporates very fast. It's been a tool for removing stickers and other hard to remove gunk for decades now in just about every field imaginable. And it doesn't have the odor problems that soemthing like Goo Gone would have.

• Members

I was in Guadalajara in 93 I think. Beautiful place. Amazing Tortas Ahogadas
:D
You're probably one of the few people here who will appreciate this picture so I'll post it:

2434526520031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

I think it's from the late 90s. I got to jam with him and Rafael Salgado, his harmonica player. Good times!!!!

My favorite harmonica player is still Jose Cruz (Real de Catorce).

Alex Lora is pretty cool. He's still around and still fun to listen to... in an irreverant sort of way!

:thu:

Archived