Can I Use Lighter Fluid To Clean My Les Paul

bobc

• Members

Is it ok to use lighter fluid to clean the finish of my Les Paul Standard Plus?

I think GC uses Dunlop Guitar Polish & Cleaner on their guitars when they put them on display. They always have that sticky feeling.

I want to clean that off and just wipe the guitar sown with a damp cotton cloth and then a dry cotton cloth after playiing.

I read that the finish on these guitars allows the wood to breath so I don't want to defeat that by putting polish on it and stop it from breathing.

Will lighter fluid get this off so I can just clean it with a damp cloth after that?

Is there any posability that lighter fluid will hurt the finish?

Can lighter fluid hurt any of the other parts of the guitar, like plastic, metal, ect...?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Consider the fact that Naptha (lighter fluid) is an extremely effective chemical solvent, and the finish of your guitar, be it Poly or nitro, is solvent-based...

I would not TOUCH lighter fluid to your axe...

• Members

Yes you can, it's done every day. I never used lighter fluid I use naptha but as asasha said it's basically naptha. I wouldnt use it on plastic without testing it.

By that argument Naptha isn't safe for a poly or nitro finish, which are plastic-based...

:idk:

• Members

Thank you for the replies.

I called Gibson and they said it was ok to use the nappha (lighter fluid) on the guitar, but they DO NOT recommend the Dunlop 65 Polish & Cleaner on their guitars. They ONLY recommend the Gibson products because they actually contain traces of the finish in them and will NOT stop the wood from breathing.

• Members

Thank you for the replies.

I called Gibson and they said it was ok to use the nappha
(lighter fluid) on the guitar, but they DO NOT recommend the Dunlop 65 Polish & Cleaner on their guitars. They ONLY recommend the Gibson products because they actually contain traces of the finish in them and will NOT stop the wood from breathing.

Smart Guy.

This is the internet and "facts" are cheap.

• Members

Windex will take off old grease and cleaners too.

BTW, the wood on your guitar isn't breathing, it's dead. The finish is sealed in nitro. Nothing gets in or out. Miught as well be sealed in a thin coat of plastic.

Modern nitro is very different from the old stuff and is a lot better BTW.

• Members

I think Jimmy Hendrix once cleaned one of his strat with it. If it's good for Jimmy...

Seriously, though, when I first read the title, my first thought was: "Whaaaaaaat?!?!?!?

Missed it by 2 minutes!

• Members

Windex will take off old grease and cleaners too.

BTW, the wood on your guitar isn't breathing, it's dead. The finish is sealed in nitro. Nothing gets in or out. Miught as well be sealed in a thin coat of plastic.

Modern nitro is very different from the old stuff and is a lot better BTW.

I would NOT use windex. It has amonia in it and can scratch the finish. I won't even use the stuff on my car windows. Naptha (lighter fluid) is used all of the time to clean and polish instruments. Keep it off the fretboard because it could dry it out if it is rosewood or ebony.

• Members

what bottle of lighter fluid cost $129? is it vintage or something? haha

:thu:

Why yes it is vintage, aint she a beauty. Found her in the basement. 1 owner all original, Norlin era I believe.:thu:

• Members

I think GC uses Dunlop Guitar Polish & Cleaner on their guitars when they put them on display. They always have that sticky feeling.

You're joking, right?

I don't think I've ever seen a guitar at GC that had anything used on it before it was put on display (or after for that matter).

• Members

I've got a can of lacquer thinner lying around somewhere...

Will that work as well?

You bet, but you have to really soak the rag good before you apply it. And as soon as you do, you need to swirl it around fast, and push hard. Test it on your top before you do the back. It will work faster if you fill the pickup cavities first.

• Members

You bet, but you have to really soak the rag good before you apply it. And as soon as you do, you need to swirl it around fast, and push hard. Test it on your top before you do the back. It will work faster if you fill the pickup cavities first.

GREAT thanks alot!

You just saved me some $$ on lighter fluid!!:thu:

Archived