So I got some new picks the other day

nuke_diver

• Members

Yah I know not a big $$ purchase. I got a few of the tortex ones since I had heard about them on here. I kind of like them though the stubber shaped one I'm not so keen on more because of the cut of the pick...its more oval and less sharp.

But I found that they seem stiffer than an equivalent nylon pick which is what I've been using. The 0.73mm one I got is noticably stiffer than the 0.88 Dunlop nylons that have been my standard for a few years now

Are they as durable?

• Members

I go through alot more tortex and fender picks way faster than the nylon. The nylons don't break, and they wear longer. The nylon has a softer attack, which I like a lot. I use all three varieties pretty regularly, pretty much whichever one i dig out of my bin first.

• Members
I wouldn't know about durability, I lose mine before they ever have a chance to actually 'wear' out
:facepalm:

Same here. I always lose picks for some reason.

I've been using the Tortex ones for years. They're my favorite. My preference in pick thickness has increased over the years too. I now use the thickest ones they make.

• Members
1153431533_TORTEX_STANDARD_418_GRP_463X3

There you go.

Yes the nylon ones have a softer attack and I've recently made the hard change to a new way of holding the pick which give me even a softer attack so I think that's why I like the tortex

I used to play fender mediums and still like fender thins for acoustic work but they usually break before I lose them. The nylons never break but they wear down to a degree where they aren't as easy to play with, are the tortex ones the same?

• Members

I haven't played with an actual celluloid pick in about 20+ years. I can wear through a Fender medium in about an hour. I used to use the gray nylon .88 or 1.0. Sometime around '95 or '96 I got tired of shredding bumped my string up to 10s and started using the Tortex .73s. I played liked that for the next 5 years. Then sometime in 2000 I went back up to heavy picks. I find I have much better control and I am much more precise. I'm using 1.14 Tortex or Derlin picks these days. I don' break these. After about a week the tips start to get nicely rounded and tend to glide over the strings. I hate when I lose one that is nice and worn in.

• Members

I use V picks exclusively! I despise a normal shaped pick now. They are expensive, but once you pay that much for a pick, you wont be just setting it down somewhere. You will know where it is at all times. :thu:

• Members

I used to use the green ones for awhile. I found the durability to be quite good. While I'd lose the logo pretty fast, minimal wear around the edges. Last fall I gave the little Jazz II picks a try and I'm totally hooked - I use normal sized picks for acoustic strumming but that's about it. The little picks are so precise.

Archived