VINTAGE HARMONY.........NICE ELECTRIC......???

cdgooden

• Members

I just bought a Harmony Flying V guitar, it is white with gold knobs I have pictures located here, please help me out, I do not know when it was made or anything else about it other than it is a harmony and I am guessing pretty old. If anyone has information please let me know. Thanks.

dscf8829.jpg

dscf8830.jpg

I have more pictures of the knobs the PUs and the back and neck too if you need it. I just want to know where to find info on this guitar.

• Members

Can anyone help me at all, or is this the only guitar like it in the world. Can't find anything on google and music stores can tell me nothing either. You guys seemed pretty knowledgeable. This is why I am here. Please I need to know.

• Members

So far the only thing I know for sure is it was not made in USA since it does have the "est 1892" this indicates an Asian Guitar. And it could date back to 1975, this is when the "est 1892" brand came out. Now some elaboration on what a possible model is the only 2 I can find is the H666 and H814 both of which were made in 1985 and neither of them were White. I was told by local music store that it is rare but no info is available.

• Members

Oh well, guess noone else knows either. I do know more than I did 2 hours ago, but still feel like I am in the dark. Is there a possibility this guitar is older than 1985 or would this be the norm for a flying V style guitar, since of course the majority were made in 1980-1985 in all brands. ????

• Members

You could take a look at the volume/tone pots to see if they are stamped with a date code......that could narrow down the date of manufacture (if they're original). Maybe there's a date under the neck where it mounts to the body.....?

.....that's all I've got. :wave:

Good luck.

• Members

Well since giving the price asked would in my opinion cause some prejudice, I would rather yall tell me what should be paid for a guitar like this, I have seen some prices on ebay that blew me away, but the guitars are nothing like this one, in the sense this is the only one with gold nobs and such and it is not white white it is a bit of an ivory color, and is in excellent condition. I have already bought the guitar. What would one of you find a fair price, I mean I could ask 200 but that does not mean someone will pay it. I bought it thinking that my husband would like it but he seems to like his acoustic electric and I play my fender strat with pride. So I guess I need a price to stick on it to sell.

• Members

I saw these reviews too, and I do not think it is the same guitar since "Harmony" did not make a flying V pre 1976 so a USA harmony that was never made could not be copied, this has to be an original from the Harmony maker, not a copy, and I doubt this guitar was sold at JC Penny. These are not labeled Harmony est. 1892, these have the maker with harmony small under the logo, I have seen these.

• Members

I could ask 200 but that does not mean someone will pay it.

it's all about location.

puit it on your local craigslist for $250 and see what happens.

you never know,some local kid who plays metal might want that.

:idk:

• Members

I saw these reviews too, and I do not think it is the same guitar since "Harmony" did not make a flying V pre 1976 so a USA harmony that was never made could not be copied, this has to be an original from the Harmony maker, not a copy, and I doubt this guitar was sold at JC Penny. These are not labeled Harmony est. 1892, these have the maker with harmony small under the logo, I have seen these.

Not quite sure what your point is, but I would have little doubt that the guitar in question was made in Korea, during the mid-late 80's and was sold through the J.C. Penny's store (or catalog).

• Members

Wasn't really making a point I guess just by holding this guitar and hearing the sound that comes out of it, just hard to believe it would be the same cheap guitar those people are talking about, this seems pretty high quality, would really love to see some pics of the JC penny V. I do not doubt it was made in Asia, since that is where all Harmony est. 1892 guitars come from. I am just going to stick it on ebay and see how it goes.

If anyone else has anymore information please let me know, I really don't like being in the blind, I like to know what I am selling backwards and forwards, this one is a mystery.

Certainly appreciate all of the info so far, guess I was just expecting more out of Harmony Forums, surely someone here sometime or another has seen this guitar and knows without a doubt. As I said before, it can't be the only one of its kind.

Ya'll are awesome.

• Members
, guess I was just expecting more out of Harmony Forums, .

This is not an appraisal service, its a forum. You are only hearing what you want to hear, someone above has given you the correct answer. It is from the mid to late 80's and was a catalog guitar. Probably a plywood body. They bring $100 or so on ebay.

• Members

Didn't Harmony restart production (or rather, someone bought the name) within the last decade? It seems to me there was a Paul Stanley signature model that was their flagship. Of course, Kiss was gearing up for a tour, and Paul was willing to take the endorsement dollars for his, what, fourth signature edition?

• Members

This is not an appraisal service, its a forum. You are only hearing what you want to hear, someone above has given you the correct answer. It is from the mid to late 80's and was a catalog guitar. Probably a plywood body. They bring $100 or so on ebay.

Well it is not plywood, music store said mahogony and rosewood just painted. So I know that is not correct, but the catalog part, could be, evidently no way to tell for sure, but since there is not a lot of information on it, you are probably right on that aspect. My husbands Alvarez Acoustic Electric was special order from a catalog as well, I paid over 1500.00 for that. So catalog does not mean cheap, but thanks for the hospitality. I did not give a whole lot of information at the beginning just to see how reliable this site is, so when something is said that I know is not correct I will say so. I have appreciated the information that I have received, but never expected rudeness. I do not hear what I want to hear, I just comment on what I know is not correct.

So just so you know, plywood is wrong. Thanks for trying though. Seems noone knows for sure, which I did not expect any less or any more, now the post about the Hondo or whatever, seems the closest so far except it does not say it anywhere on the guitar, but the models look the same as far as how it is assembled. same plates in the same location.

Archived