VINTAGE HARMONY.........NICE ELECTRIC......???

cdgooden

• Members

Didn't Harmony restart production (or rather, someone bought the name) within the last decade? It seems to me there was a Paul Stanley signature model that was their flagship. Of course, Kiss was gearing up for a tour, and Paul was willing to take the endorsement dollars for his, what, fourth signature edition?

Yes, I suppose, it seems I read that somewhere too, 2003 I think was the last production of any new models, I think the rest of them are copies of previous models. Not sure though could not find any more information on that either.

• Members

...Certainly appreciate all of the info so far, guess I was just expecting more out of Harmony Forums...

Not sure I understand this part... are you under the misconception that Harmony-central is somehow affiliated with Harmony Instruments?

Regardless, if your guitar doesn't have a serial number or model designation of any sort, I'd also be inclined to think that it's just another example of the many, many, many Asian-made (mostly Korean) instruments that were marketed through stores like JC Penny, Sears, etc throughout the 80's. Many, if not most of them, had plywood bodies. These were typically regarded as 'student' instruments and tend not to hold much of a resale value due to the inconsistency of workmanship.

After a quick Google search, I found another discussion regarding a white Harmony flying V here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-345361.html

Hope that helps :thu:

• Members

Well it is not plywood, music store said mahogony and rosewood just painted..

...and salesmen never lie, right?

It's really easy to tell if it's made of plywood, by the way. just pull out one of the pickups and look to see if there are layers of wood like this (only painted):

Film_Faced_Plywood.jpg

If so, you've got plywood... not that it's necessarily a bad thing. Many great guitars have been made from plywood (Kramer, anyone?).

• 10 years later...
  • Members

I actually have the same guitar. White with gold knobs and so forth ... It was made in the early 80s. It is a rare Harmony guitar. I also own the Explorer counterpart Harmony made around the same time. The sound my 666 makes has continued to wow other guitar players and it's one of my prized guitars in my collection. I just saw one sell on reverb not long ago for $400. There is one listed there now in ok condition for $250. I went through the same thing you have with no one even knowing Harmony made a flying V. Until you play that guitar I feel any opinion knocking it is not to be taken. Its amazing guitar ... Of my 45 guitars I rank it in my top 10 favorites at #7. I'd hold onto it because it will only be more rare with time. From someone who actually owns one 

Archived