Good 3x3 tuners for my Ibanez GAX70

2pacHendrix

• Members

Hello there! I'm looking for some good 3x3 tuners for my ibanez gax70. It is slowly turning into my #1 guitar, but it can't stay in tune! So I'm looking for tuners and I'm gonna replace the nut (maybe)

Maybe some locking tuners, I looked at guitarfetish and found some good cheap tuners, but does anyone else have any other suggestions?

• Members

I put some tuners off of an ESP on my AX120. And replaced the saddles with Fender type bent saddles and replaced the pickups with Gibson 57 Classics. Very nice guitar. Another forum member who owns several very nice guitars still has his GAX70.

I'd probably say the nut is more likely a bigger issue than the tuners. Won't hurt to replace them, but it might not help at all. I'd suggest a graphite but installed by someone that knows what they are doing.

• Members

I put some tuners off of an ESP on my AX120. And replaced the saddles with Fender type bent saddles and replaced the pickups with Gibson 57 Classics. Very nice guitar. Another forum member who owns several very nice guitars still has his GAX70.

I'd probably say the nut is more likely a bigger issue than the tuners. Won't hurt to replace them, but it might not help at all. I'd suggest a graphite but installed by someone that knows what they are doing.

+1, and learn about a good set up. Tuners are only a part as most, even cheapies, can usually do the job (Gibson keystones). The problem is usually string binding at the nut, the saddles or ferrules, as well as not properly installing strings: too many winds around the post or sloppy loops around the posts.

• Members

I have an Ibanez GAX-75 (nearly identical model) and I don't have tuning issues. For your guitar, like the others said, it could be the nut that's the problem. Hope you get it fixed 'cause these are real nice guitars. Mine's still rockin' hard after 5 years.

• Members

Ibanez uses horrible nuts on their low end guitars. I swapped out the plastic nut for a graphtech one and it made a huuuuuuuuuge difference. Those plastic nuts won't even hold a good slot for that long before the string digs into the material and binds.

Love that pic btw. :thu:

I've got a Bigsby on mine. The stock tuners are fine. The nut, however, is likely in need of attention.

318880359_4916ac681e_o.jpg

• Members

Go through the hole, bend string up at 90 degree angle. Loop string around top once then cros over and begin winding down. should not need more than two wraps towards bottom.

If you really want tuners, I would suggest Grovers. Part # tk9700-01 at allparts. They are close in style to the tuners the guitar came with and the screw into the headstock rather than depending on studs.

You do need to replace the nut on the GAX guitars; the plastic is terrible and hollow to boot.

Archived