School me on Dano pedals

JohnnyR

• Members

A blatant crosspost from the effects forum but here is my problem. I just became the only music gear dealer in a small town and one of my lines is Dano. I'm impressed with what I have heard about their line of pedal effects on the net and with the ones I have actually heard but what are your faves? I am starting out small in an established retail store which is not related to music but my wife and I have decided to expand to suit the needs of the community which is very artist oriented and since I am a (for 45 years) guitar player the leap is smaller than someone starting out cold. I am a dealer for D'Addario which also encompasses Dano and a number of other manufacturers dealing with all aspects of the music industry including drum gear, brass and woodwind etc. accessories in Canada.

This is in no way a plug for my business, the name of which I will not even mention but I'm interested in making intelligent choices when stocking our effort as money is tight and I need to be smart about it. Your opinions would be very welcome. Thanks folks.

J.R.

• Members

I like the new Cool Cat line of pedals - have the Fuzz, TOD, Drive, & Distortion. Accolades for the TOD are pretty much unanimous; the others have gotten generally positive reviews but not as consistently as the TOD.

I've got and liked the old Cool Cat Chorus; generally positive reviews, don't know how it stacks up with the new Cool Cat though.

The food pedals are hit and miss. I've got and liked the Fish 'n Chips, and it gets pretty good reviews; same goes for the French Toast. Haven't tried the FAB line, the reviews look mixed but the pedals are the ultimate in cheap.

Don't know why I'm writing this though - you'd have much better luck reading through the review on HC and elsewhere - there are loads of them, so you're more likely to get a better cross-section than with a thread here (or the FX forum).

Good luck!

• Members

I have some from the Mini, FAB, and Cool Cat line. All are incredible values and all have been trouble-free. That said, there really isn't much profit in the FABs or even the Minis to a certain extent. Some other budget pedals that have some impressive models are the Artecs, if you are looking at other lines.

• Members

I love Dano products. I have the Cool Cat CM-1, the FAB Distortion, the Wasabi Distortion (just sold this on ebay). I just got the Cool Cat Fuzz, and I have the Cool Cat overdrive coming. The only reason I sold the wasabi is I am running out of room. The only non-dano pedal I own is the Boss FBM-1 (Fender Bassman modeling) which I also like, but is more organic/tube-like.

In my opinion the Cool Cats are a big step up from the food pedals. I also have the hash brown pedal.

- W

A blatant crosspost from the effects forum but here is my problem. I just became the only music gear dealer in a small town and one of my lines is Dano. I'm impressed with what I have heard about their line of pedal effects on the net and with the ones I have actually heard but what are your faves? I am starting out small in an established retail store which is not related to music but my wife and I have decided to expand to suit the needs of the community which is very artist oriented and since I am a (for 45 years) guitar player the leap is smaller than someone starting out cold. I am a dealer for D'Addario which also encompasses Dano and a number of other manufacturers dealing with all aspects of the music industry including drum gear, brass and woodwind etc. accessories in Canada.

This is in no way a plug for my business, the name of which I will not even mention but I'm interested in making intelligent choices when stocking our effort as money is tight and I need to be smart about it. Your opinions would be very welcome. Thanks folks.

J.R.

I own a teaching studio/retail store in SoCal, and we also have an online storefront. We just started doing pedals in the last few months and the best selling pedal here (especially with out students) is the Cool Cat Drive pedal. Between the price being so low and the fact that you can get quite a few useful sounds outs of it its been flying off the shelf. I just got the transparent drive pedals in but we haven't tried it out in the store...

Here are a few vids I made for the students and that has helped move a few:

[YOUTUBE]Ny2S2dYczH0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]eCZ4BsuVuig[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Get both, then feed the CTO into the CO and you'll get silky lead tone...

^^^

Dano makes two overdrive pedals in the Cool Cat line. CTO-1 (Transparent overdrive), and the CO-1. The CTO has a gold case, the CO has a silver case. After listening to many clips, I prefer the CO-1. Which is being shipped to me.

- W

• Members

I have:

Fish n Chips EQ. I nearly always use it when I play because it's real good as an EQ or boost.

Cool Cat Drive. To me it sounds like crunchy overdrive with a lot of bite. It can really scream. I like it best with humbuckers because it brightens them up a bit.

Cool Cat Distortion. IMO sounds warmer and smoother than the Drive pedal. I like it on single coils to smoothen them out.

But with both overdrive pedals I find they work real good on any kind of guitar. They rock, and are a great value.

• Members

I got 3 of the cool cats because of the price for true bypass pedals

The TOD is great and gets a nice crunch out of my amp and can do so at low volumes. With the level control it can get very loud very fast too

The Distortion is also a fave but it won't get you to metal territory but thats ok for me...Sabbath level at the most I'd say

The Chorus is very cool and I've used it a fair bit but it probably gets less use than the other 2 but more than my delay or wah (not Danos)

All in all I've been pretty pleased. I had some cutting out problems with the Chorus and got very good CS from Danoelectric who took the pedal back and returned a new one without any hassles

• Members

I have the Daddyo Overdrive and it sounds great with my peavey classic. Plus it could be used as a weapon when needed:thu:

I picked up on of these too, and maybe that is the way to go - direct to amp. I haven't really found it works for me in my rig, but I sometimes share it if someone shows up and needs and OD and it is workable, and is a backup in case I have catastrophic failure of my Tonelab LE or Tech 21 Trademark 10.

• Members

I have 3 of the minis. The BLT is usually on my board for slapback/shower room reverb. Sounds great for rockabilly & surfy tones, but needs a bit of tweaking. The Tuna Melt is a great little tremolo pedal - really rich sounding on the 'soft' setting and pretty brutal on the 'hard' setting. My amp has trem, so it doesn't see enough use, but I wouldn't part with it. Finally, I have the Fish N Chips, which I haven't really used much yet. For use on a pedalboard, they're great because they're small and you can wedge 'em into tight corners. On the other hand their size means that you have to be pretty accurate with your footwork to switch them on and off.

• Members

I have:

Fish n Chips EQ. I nearly always use it when I play because it's real good as an EQ or boost.

Cool Cat Drive. To me it sounds like crunchy overdrive with a lot of bite. It can really scream. I like it best with humbuckers because it brightens them up a bit.

Cool Cat Distortion. IMO sounds warmer and smoother than the Drive pedal. I like it on single coils to smoothen them out.

But with both overdrive pedals I find they work real good on any kind of guitar. They rock, and are a great value.

I have the same Cool Cat pedals and agree 100% with your post. I also like the CC Drive into the CC Distortion, I set my Drive and make small adjustments to the Distortion to dirty up the sound.

• Members

I have a set of the fab pedals... Metal, Flange, Delay, and Chorus.

Metal = very tight, bright, and a bit harsh, not fizzy though. When running on battery power, some settings drop higher notes down an octave, which makes it unusable on those settings, others are just fine. Can't recommend it, but I am not a metal guy either.

Flange = Awesome. Its pretty subtle compared to a lot of other flanger pedals. sounds great.

Delay = really a slapback delay. no time adjustment, some cool sounds to be had. I don't use it.

Chorus = good. On par with most other stompbox choruses.

hope that helps :thu:

• Members

Reel Echo is one of the best digitally simulated echo units on the market. It simulates reel to reel echo and the box is built like a tank. I have one and I love it. The high end reverb unit from them has much the same rep from what I have read. Reel Echo is not the same as the Dano Echo. i've heard good things about the Cool Cat Transparent Over Drive.

-Jacksix

• Members

Dano pedals are actually alright, they are about as good as built in effects on a Vox or something which is great if you have an amp without built in effects and dont want to spend a {censored}load on effects, if you have built in effects dont bother though, they arent much better. Im probably going to get a Dano reverb.

Archived