carvin custom guitar questions

thetrooper9

• Members

i cant seem to find a guitar that has everything i want so im thinking about ordering a custom carvin.

ive looked all over the site and i cant find anything about neck thickness. i want a neck about the same thickness as my gibson explorer or a bit thicker than an ibanez neck.

can someone tell me what the neck thickness of a carvin is?

how are the pickups?

im also concerned about the body comfort. basically what i want is a gibson explorer in a different shape. im looking at the ct4 and dc body styles.

what would you recommend if i like ibanez rg body styles the best and also like strat body styles.

• Members

the only thing that carvin is missing from their custom shop is the ability to specify neck profile. That would be badass.

That, and possibly graphics for those that want them.

Anyway, I just received my custom order Carvin last week. It's a Bolt Plus and I was worried about the neck profile. I wasn't sure if I'd like it. But it turned out to be perfect for me. In fact, the entire guitar is awesome. I'll encourange anyone to try a Carvin now.

• Members

I went to the Santa Ana store, CA...I found that the necks are close to the feel of a 60's neck...found on the Gibsons...very fast and comfortable.

:facepalm:

I have not a clue what 60's Gibson this guy is playing.

The person above who said, "thicker than an Ibanez, wider than a Strat, and not as deep as an SG." was on the money.

If you are into the traditional Fender necks (50/60/70s) or the Gibson necks a Carvin will not feel close.

Not saying it's bad - just different and neck is all preference.

If you think you're going to get a 60ish Les Paul/SG shape you'll be dissapointed

• Members

carvin necks are thicker than an Ibanez, wider than a Strat, and not as deep as an SG. At least, that's how they feel to me. I haven't taken measurements (though I'm sure the measurements are available on the site).

if your description is right that sounds like a perfect neck for me.

• Members

I was under the impression that Carvin now offers a variety of radii for their necks...

Yes but I don't think it has anything to do with neck thickness or back shape. It's strictly fretboard radius.

• Members

well more of a strat shape and string through.

thats a carvin right?

tell me about it

sorry I didnt get back to you till today.

I've got 3 explorers (2 are Custom Shops) I would call those necks something like a 59 tapper neck... not thin like 60s or not entirely chuncky like the 50's... if that makes sence.

The carvin neck is a 14" frettboard radius .. It feels very similar to the explorer, to me I think it feels better, maybe because of the ebony vs rosewood which I know has nothing to do with the neck size. The Carvin also has SS fretts. I'm a Big guy 6'4" 225lbs so I like bigger necks.

Anyway I would definately do it again... the Carvin is my Main Rock and Roll go to guitar. It gets play'd the most and I have quite a few to choose from.

good luck :wave:

• Members

if your description is right that sounds like a perfect neck for me.

It is for me as well, which is why I own 4 of them!

Historically, they were thinner. So, if you find one from late 80's, early 90's, it may resemble the Ibby a bit more. After that, they retained the width, and added a bit of depth.

As for radius, you have the choice of 3 different radii, with 12" standard. You can also go 14 or 16, I think.

I've got Gibsons, Fenders, and a PRS. I love all of those guitars, but Carvins just fit me like a glove, and they're my favorite to play these days. It's also my favorite scale (25"), and they balance well, so it's the total package for me.

• Members

i cant seem to find a guitar that has everything i want so im thinking about ordering a custom carvin.

An excellent idea..

can someone tell me what the neck thickness of a carvin is?

As described, kind of like a cross between an Ibanez Wizard (width) and a Fender Strat (depth and shape) ..

how are the pickups?

Depends on who you ask.. If you ask someone that doesn't own them, they suck, worst pickups ever made.. If you ask someone that actually owns them, they're really good. I have C22's in my DC and S22's in my CT, and they are surprisingly good. You don't get vintage Les Paul tones, nor do you get brutal EMG tones. What you do get through are very usable tones that cover a broad range of playing styles.. I play a large variety of styles, ranging from smooth jazz to metal to classical, and these pickups do a nice job of everything I need.

what would you recommend if i like ibanez rg body styles the best and also like strat body styles.

The new ST model. It's a bigger body, more like a Jackson Soloist style body.

95003b.jpg

• Members

ok im working on st300 build. ive got everything figured out except the wood. im used to playing a all mahogany body and neck with a rosewood fingerboard gibson.

im going with an alder body im not sure what to do about the neck and fingerboard.

so far im thinking a mahogany neck will warm it some and then an ebony fretboard. ive never heard of a alder guitar with a mahogany neck though. i dont want it to be too bright. maybe i should just go with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard.

any suggestions?

• Members

I just bought my 3rd DC that'll be here next week and I can say without a doubt that Carvin are the best bargain in guitars, IMO.

If you wanna keep it warm I'd suggest the mahogany body and neck if it's in your budget........or at least the body.

For fretboards I love the slicker feel of ebony myself. Oiling rosewood boards is very annoying and maple either has a thick finish or gets grungy after time.

If you haven't seen the satin finish on a rounded body here are some pics.

It's a very cool look that you can't get from many (if any) other companies.

12.jpg

blueparrot-dc127-1.jpg

• Members

I just bought my 3rd DC that'll be here next week and I can say without a doubt that Carvin are the best bargain in guitars, IMO.

wow those look nice. do you find the alder and ebony overly bright at all for high gain leads?

i want it to be brighter than my gibson but not ear piercing.

also is the 5 piece neck a good idea?

sorry for so many questions but since im doing a custom guitar i want everything to be just right.

Archived