My First Act Sheena Story

Songman68

• Members
Hey dude, listen. If you're interested, I may have an extra FA humbucker neck pickup in white that I'd be willing to trade for your neck single coil pup when you get it back from the repair shop. Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig it out of my pickup box. That will definitely give your Sheena a Shelia edge. What I love about her is she has such a Les Paul type growl to her with the humbucker in the neck. Anyway, let me know. Thanks.
:thu:

I'll spend a couple weeks with it and let you know.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ii just got my Sheena and amp in today.

First impressions on the amp - the foot-switchable boost is nice, and the effects sound pretty decent. The amp models sound OK. I haven't spent but like 5 minutes with it, and only played the Sheena with it, so I don't really have a full tone report. Well worth the $150 I have in it so far.

First impressions of the Sheena - such a pretty guitar. The top on mine is pretty dark, I almost can't see the grain of the flame - which looks to be nice, but it is really hard to tell. Mine has the cream binding, but I can definitely see where the MOP binding would look killer. It sounds pretty good so far, and definitely agree with the Tele comparisons with the bridge. There seems to be a pretty bid volume drop between my bridge and neck pups with the bridge being louder. I'll have to adjust it a little. The action is a little on the high side - but I guess I am used to that. The neck is a little wider than I amused to on some others, but not uncomfortable.

The one question I have is why bother sending a guitar like this with strings this crappy? Might have well just sent it without strings.

• Members

ok, sheena owners who have returned one with firstact.com, i need your help please!
I just recieved my 2nd Sheena which was an exchange for the 1st one that had some minor damage but.... I don't see a return label? Was it supposed to be a UPS return sticker in the box?

• Members

ok, sheena owners who have returned one with firstact.com, i need your help please!

I just recieved my 2nd Sheena which was an exchange for the 1st one that had some minor damage but.... I don't see a return label? Was it supposed to be a UPS return sticker in the box?

yes, it was in the replacement box when I got it.

• Members

Man, I am kicking myself. My luthiers shops is dim. He had a {censored}load of people in there so I just pulled out the guitar, played it for a second and went home. It felt good and most of the buzz was gone ( I don't expect zero buzz).

Once I got it under good light, there are scratches everywhere, even around the knobs! WTF. Did someone gig with this for a week? My guess it that it was fret dust or steel wool strands, and he wiped them off with a cloth, thus scratching the {censored} out it. Then glue has leaked over the nut on the high E side (like a clear super glue type). It looks like he tried to lower the nut some, but its not flat to the headstock on the high E side, you can see a gap. And to top it off, he flipped the bridge! The problem with that is that the saddles are notched in a specific hierarchy for the strings. I can call him and bitch, but I don't want him {censored}ing up my guitar any more. I will give him some credit for leveling out the high frets.

Rockinhacker, I should have just shipped it to you. You know how to work on these and appreciate them for what they are.

• Members
Forgive me, not trying to be a jerk however, I find it hard to believe any one who is "an accomplished guitar player" can mistake a Sheena for any Gibson.

They do have almost identical headstocks....

10309128c.jpg

618090.JPG

Maybe he thought it was one of those weird one-offs that Gibson put out in the 70s and 80s.

• Members
Boys, check this deal on fleabay for a rare Sheena. Better jump on it quick!

http://cgi.ebay.com/First-Act-Sheena-Setneck-Firebird-POSSIBLE-DISCOUNT_W0QQitemZ120358546833QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item120358546833&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Ha ha ha...which one of you is trying to unload his Sheena for a profit? And only $34.95 for shipping...what a deal. Funny that FA only charged me $7 for shipping on a brand new one. :idk:

• Members
  • Members
Man, I am kicking myself. My luthiers shops is dim. He had a {censored}load of people in there so I just pulled out the guitar, played it for a second and went home. It felt good and most of the buzz was gone ( I don't expect zero buzz).

Once I got it under good light, there are scratches everywhere, even around the knobs! WTF. Did someone gig with this for a week? My guess it that it was fret dust or steel wool strands, and he wiped them off with a cloth, thus scratching the {censored} out it. Then glue has leaked over the nut on the high E side (like a clear super glue type). It looks like he tried to lower the nut some, but its not flat to the headstock on the high E side, you can see a gap. And to top it off, he flipped the bridge! The problem with that is that the saddles are notched in a specific hierarchy for the strings. I can call him and bitch, but I don't want him {censored}ing up my guitar any more. I will give him some credit for leveling out the high frets.

Rockinhacker, I should have just shipped it to you. You know how to work on these and appreciate them for what they are.

Yeah, I would have taken care of it for you, and properly too, with no scratching. Fear not. There is a solution. First, loosen all the strings, carefully pull the bridge straight up and off the guitar, turn it around and re-install it. Then retune and you should be straight. As far as the scratches are concerned, that's gonna take a bit more effort. You will have to remove all the hardware, pickups, knobs, etc. You'll have to go to the auto parts store, and get a container of Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound, the red label, Maguier's Final Polish, and Maguier's Final Wax. Make sure to get a good, soft, non-abrasive finishing pad for the rubbing compound. Soft, clean cotton rags are suitable for the polish and wax. Make sure the pad is moist but not soaking wet. Make sure to work the compound in the same direction as the grain, NOT in a circular motion. That would imprint fine swirl scratches that are a bitch to buff out. Working the compound in the same direction as the grain makes it much harder to see any fine scratches. Rub until the area looks a bit hazy. Then immediately wipe off with a clean cloth, buffing and turning the cloth constantly as you go. Once you finish with the compound, move on the the polish and wax. Just follow the directions and you'll be fine. Take before and after pics so you can go to the store manager and bitch about this hack of a luthier that messed up your guitar. Remember, take your time, pace yourself, and you'll do fine. :thu:

• Members

I DO NOT want to get embroiled in the oil/finishing debate, but do want to share an observation. I was at NAMM this past weekend and Fender brought one of their custom shop techs, along with his tech bench and all his tools, and had him setup in the display area. He was working on a raw Charvel neck and was using Tru-Oil for both the neck and fretboard to seal it. I talked with him a bit about it and he said that's all they use and it's available from WalMart.

That's the extent of my knowledge on the subject!

• Members
Another great deal from someone living close to me who bought 9 Sheena's and now wants to double his profit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/First-Act-Limited-Edition-CE240-Sheena-Blue_W0QQitemZ370142139213QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item370142139213&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

The outrage! Why do people insist on trying to make money by selling things for more than they paid for them?!? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Members

I DO NOT want to get embroiled in the oil/finishing debate, but do want to share an observation. I was at NAMM this past weekend and Fender brought one of their custom shop techs, along with his tech bench and all his tools, and had him setup in the display area. He was working on a raw Charvel neck and was using Tru-Oil for both the neck and fretboard to seal it. I talked with him a bit about it and he said that's all they use and it's available from WalMart.

That's the extent of my knowledge on the subject!

Thanks for the info!

• Members
The outrage! Why do people insist on trying to make money by selling things for more than they paid for them?!?
:mad:

Because that's how a business is run? :confused:
I see no problem with selling the guitars at a profit if you can....why not? It's STILL far less than what Amazon is getting for them.

Archived