My First Act Sheena Story

Songman68

• Members

Well First Act finally caught up with me. I had a phone message today when I got home from work. They said they were reviewing my purchase order and realized that they hadn't billed my credit card for my Sheena, but they were going to do that today LOL. I purchased the guitar at the end of December. I was wondering when they were going to realize I hadn't paid for it yet. Oh well $99.00 for a guitar like the Sheena is a bargain. Free would have been better, but I am happy with $99.

Interesting. I bought a Sheena at about the same time, and haven't yet been billed.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I have 2, and only paid for one....

I keep waiting for them to call or email saying they want me to return to one I wanted returned, but I asked them twice for a return shipping label. It has been a few weeks now....

that reminds me of my friend who ordered a mesa boogie amp off ebay... when it came it didn't work so he emailed the store and asked if he could just pay the difference for a new one and send the broken one back... they said sure, so he paid like $300 and they sent him another mesa boogie head and NEVER asked for the old one back. He called them multiple times and they kept saying they were gonna send fedex to come pick it up. After a year passed, he got the broken amp fixed and sold it. So basically he got a brand new mesa boogie amp for $300. :facepalm:

ANYWAYS... this post makes me excited because my sheena should be here any day. :lol:

• Members
Which one is it?

Yeah, I apologize. I was re-evaluating one of my Sheenas recently and noticed that the radius is indeed 16" and not 14" as I previously mentioned. I actually checked the radius of the fretboard without the strings prior to the fret levelling, and noticed a bit of gapping between the 14" radius gauge and the board. So I checked it with the 16" gauge and guess what, no gap. So again, my apologies. It's a 16" radius, not 14". :facepalm:

• Members

Forgive the newbie... I am looking for a low priced guitar to start learning how to play. I came across this thread and it seems like the Sheena is a good guitar for the price (I like bargains :) ). Anyway... FA is out of stock and I see a guy on Ebay is selling them for $149. My question is, is there another guitar for the price that I should also consider? I see Rondo music has some B stocks that are around $150 as well.

If it isn't obvious by now, I have absolutely no idea where to start.... I was hoping to buy a guitar/amp for $200/$250. That's about all I knew.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Members
Nice job Verne, that pickguard came out great.
:thu:
I see you opted to leave the pickups white, or just haven't gotten around to painting them black yet? I think it looks nice as is, for what it's worth.

I appreciate the kind words. I took the pictures right after I got her home from the luthier who did the pickguard and some repairs to this one and another. I have not really had a chance to do anything other than work on setup. I'm kinda on the fence about making the pickups black. The "screwup" potential is a bit too high for my liking so I'll probably just leave it the way it is. Taking the stark white of the other pickguard out of the equation tempers the look quite a bit, so the cream pickup covers aren't bugging me anymore. I do really like the way the new pickguard makes the guitar look.

• Members

Here's one for all you drooling over a Sheena with MOP binding - I was doing a setup yesterday and could not, for the life of me, get the low E string intonated. It's 2 to 3 cents flat even with the saddle adjusted all the way. I measured the distance between the TOM and the part that holds the ball ends on my Les Paul, which intonates fine, and the Sheena and got these measures [first is the bass side then the treble side]:

Les Paul - 1 3/16" - 1 4/16"
Sheena - 1" - 1 1/8"

There's only a 1/16" difference on the LP but a 2/16" [1/8"] difference on the Sheena and that 1/8" appears to be making a difference. Looks like I either have to pay to get the TOM moved or live with a flat E string. The Sheena with the plain binding didn't have this problem. Damn!

• Members

i actually REALLY like the tele style pickguard on it. and that you left all the pick up holes the same, so if you go back to the stock one you wont have little holes in the body.

hopefully all you sheena owners will check this... but what kind of case are you using with it? the body is too big for my hardshell case... i haven't tried my rickenbacker case yet though, it might fit in that one...

• Members
difference on the Sheena and that 1/8" appears to be making a difference. Looks like I either have to pay to get the TOM moved or live with a flat E string. The Sheena with the plain binding didn't have this problem. Damn!

Verne.
:facepalm:

Measure it from the nut. The tails could be improperly placed just as easily as the TOM.

• Members

K - solved the intonation problem. I sold that guitar. The other MOP intonated fine, so I kept it.

On the case, and I know this may not be very helpful to you stateside people but, I was down at Long and McQuade yesterday [closest thing in Canada to a Guitar Center] and they have a generic [Yorkville make I believe] rectangular Strat/Tele case that works. They are a bit "airy" for Fenders, but the Sheena fits in, albeit snuggly. $70 CDN, which is around $55 US with current exchange rates.

Somebody else had mentioned this one:

yhst-50206111187217_2040_23986377
http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/xadehashcafi.html

also works snugly, so it's probably the same dimensions. They appear to be in stock again.

• Members
so even though the description said red, and the code was not for black, they were black? waht's the last three digits of the model number on the box?

I didn't check the code. I did email JR after I ordered to ask the color (I didn't really care, but I was curious). They said it would be black and it was! The guitar sounds great, I'm glad I finally caved :)

Archived