Woody's Melody Maker

Woody_in_MN

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

that is a spectacular price!!!

i know the feeling of the finish - they were probably rougher than the Faded LP Classics (worn TV Yellow guitars w/crown inlays) - those felt like {censored}. I'm sure with a couple of passes with some 150 grit sandpaper -> Wet/Dry paper -> Finishing Steel Wool, that guitar would be real nice, aesthetically!

I love the tone of P90s. I'm totally satisfied w/my SG Classic... wouldnt settle for anything less than a Historic Gibson if i needed a humbucker guitar @ this point. Between my tele, jag and SG, i can get any sort of clean to heavy tone i'd need... the P90, if played right through a well EQ'd crunchy amp, can get great Tool-ish crunch. 70's rock tones, "Custard Pie" delivered in spades. I love them!

• Members

Mine just came today too... It's bugging me a bit. Super heavy grainage, and the whole right side has no grainage, and there is a large scratch in it. Black smudges on the neck, and three chips on the bottom... Do you have to pay return shipping? Or do they pay it?
:lol:

Boy - if you just don't like it, I think you pay shipping. But if there are "defects" they may do a swap - but maybe you don't want that. I would check their published return policy - then call them. But these have been getting a lot of interest. You might be able to sell it for a small profit to a forumite if you really don't like it.

In my case, if I keep it (and I probably will) I am going to apply some paint thinner on the side where the paint is thicker to lighten it up to do a closer match to the side that shows the grain.

The MM is a different animal, that's for sure.

- W

• Members

that is a spectacular price!!!

i know the feeling of the finish - they were probably rougher than the Faded LP Classics (worn TV Yellow guitars w/crown inlays) - those felt like {censored}. I'm sure with a couple of passes with some 150 grit sandpaper -> Wet/Dry paper -> Finishing Steel Wool, that guitar would be real nice, aesthetically!

I
love
the tone of P90s. I'm totally satisfied w/my SG Classic... wouldnt settle for anything less than a Historic Gibson if i needed a humbucker guitar @ this point. Between my tele, jag and SG, i can get any sort of clean to heavy tone i'd need... the P90, if played right through a well EQ'd crunchy amp, can get great Tool-ish crunch. 70's rock tones, "Custard Pie" delivered in spades. I love them!

Maybe you knew this, but this MM comes with a special designed single coil. A quite hot one. Hot in a good way.

- W

• Members
Boy - if you just don't like it, I think you pay shipping. But if there are "defects" they may do a swap - but maybe you don't want that. I would check their published return policy - then call them. But these have been getting a lot of interest. You might be able to sell it for a small profit to a forumite if you really don't like it.

In my case, if I keep it (and I probably will) I am going to apply some paint thinner on the side where the paint is thicker to lighten it up to do a closer match to the side that shows the grain.

The MM is a different animal, that's for sure.

- W

Don't get me wrong - I AM keeping a Melody Maker, and pimping it out. BG MM90 Pup, Tonepro bridge, Tulip Tuning Pegs, Couch Strap, Chickenhead knobs... But, I need to find the right one. I love the guitar, but that one scratch, those three chips, and the smudges on the neck are holding me back. I mean, it's supposed to look old, but still. Is Musiciansfriend picky when it comes to blemishes on a "worn" guitar? :lol:

• Members

Every time I see a new guitar thread I see that dog Lamb Chop. I take it that white shepard loves guitars.

Well of course. She is my dog.

Actually she was sitting in for Aslan. I'm not sure how much more I'll be posting her. I may stop when Leopardstar returns.

- w

• Members
Don't get me wrong - I AM keeping
a
Melody Maker, and pimping it out. BG MM90 Pup, Tonepro bridge, Tulip Tuning Pegs, Couch Strap, Chickenhead knobs... But, I need to find the right one. I love the guitar, but that one scratch, those three chips, and the smudges on the neck are holding me back. I mean, it's supposed to look old, but still. Is Musiciansfriend picky when it comes to blemishes on a "worn" guitar?
:lol:

My guess is they will do a swap if you have defects. I would call them.

- w

• Members

Only a match for the older ones ? Too bad - I saw a tortoise for a Junior for $35 I thought I would try. I guess I'll keep looking, or just stay with black.

- W

I found a Tortoise on Ebay for a Melody Maker like ours a little while ago... Looks to be made well. I could probably find it.

• Members

I found a Tortoise on Ebay for a Melody Maker like ours a little while ago... Looks to be made well. I could probably find it.

I saw one on ebay for like $60. Seemed steep to put on a $250 guitar - but if its really a $500 guitar I lucked out and got for $250 - maybe its not too expensive. I guess it depends on how you look at it.

- W

• Members

I played my burst one at practice tonight. I have a DiMarzio rail sized Super Distortion in it. I'll tell you what. If you're in a band and want to cut through the mix...these things are the ticket. What a fun guitar. I can say the stock single coil will accomplish the same thing, no problem.

• Members

guys, this is the ultimate beater guitar. just throw it around, share it with the friends and family, ENJOY it, don't worry about its finish because it's raw as hell anyway. before you know it, this thing is so soft it's gonna have some awesome naturally occuring relicing and finish will wear out more. just have fun with it -- don't obsess over small cosmetic things, that's not the point of this guitar. this is a real gibson you can own and use as a real beater, a working gigging guitar, and not have to worry about stuff happening to it. and if you got it for $250, even better. this is a player not a gasper (gasping every time someone touches it).

btw I ordered some crap from jay the other day, most notably an intonatable bridge for my melody maker. it should work out great. the one piece of the puzzle missing in this guitar when it comes to being the ultimate "working man, functional" guitar is more precise intonation.

I also have a custom pickguard coming from a guy (cut to fit this melody maker but with a humbucker cutout instead) and I have a bgbucker coming from bryan in a few weeks. gonna go frankenstein on this thing. also getting a push pull pot for the coil split.

while the functional craftsmanship of this guitar is good, the one thing I'm noticing is that if the action is nice and low, the high e string has trouble playing on the last 8 or 9 frets, especially when bending. I think the frets could use leveled out a bit... future plans are to figure out how to do this myself, or have someone do it. I also wanna have someone replace the nut with bone. I'm not gonna try to replace the nut myself, especially bone, but I'd like to have it on there.

• Members

Maybe you knew this, but this MM comes with a special designed single coil. A quite hot one. Hot in a good way.

- W

ah at first glance i thought it was a P90 due to the polepieces gleaming between all the black - i thought the guard surrounding the pickup was the rest of the P90...

do you have a P90 equipped axe?

what woudl you compare the pickup to? it looks like a Mustang/Jaguar type s/c, and if its that hot, its prob akin to the Jag bridge pickup.

between this MM and the older RI, i like the aesthetics of the white one, but P90 tone, man...

I have a friend who has a PRS Modern Eagle (he won it thru being a monster salesman @ GC), and he much prefers my SG Classic on so many levels... even half-jokingly offering to pay double what i purchased it for. Funnily enough, I had traded my PRS Standard 24 (small heel, first factory era) for it and never looked back.

• Members

ah at first glance i thought it was a P90 due to the polepieces gleaming between all the black - i thought the guard surrounding the pickup was the rest of the P90...

what woudl you compare the pickup to? it looks like a Mustang/Jaguar type s/c, and if its that hot, its prob akin to the Jag bridge pickup.

between this MM and the older RI, i like the aesthetics of the white one, but P90 tone, man...

I have a friend who has a PRS Modern Eagle (he won it thru being a monster salesman @ GC), and he much prefers my SG Classic on so many levels... even half-jokingly offering to pay double what i purchased it for. Funnily enough, I had traded my PRS Standard 24 (small heel, first factory era) for it and never looked back.

I have a p90 guitar and the MM. many other things about these two guitars of mine are similar (mahogany, rosewood fretboard, wrap around tailpiece, etc) but the p90 is truly fatter and warmer and lacks that piercing high end bell tone stuff. very different sounding animals.

maybe I'll record some AB comparison between the P90 and MM with all amp settings the same to show you just how different.

mm3.jpg

• Members

I have the stock single coil. People say it sounds close to a Telecaster. I don't have a telecaster, so I can not say. The rest of my guitars have various varieties of humbucker. This sounds different from the humbuckers. Hot, but clear. Like Matt said - it has a piercing quality.

- w

• Members

^^^

Earlier I posted that one of the dangers of me keeping it was that I'd be tempted to work the cosmetics. Well, its happened.

Mr. Chitlins is right. The paint job is like white-wash from the factory. I tried to even up the finish with white polish - one thing led to another and I came to the conclusion that if I was going to go down this path, I might was well paint and re-finish the whole guitar, which is what I have started doing. I am painting the the guitar flat white. I am going to follow up with one or two coats of Minnwax Wipe on Poly. Stay tuned.

- W

Archived