breakthrough in my playing

captainultimus

• Members

so i got home from work this morning and no one was home so i decided to crank it and i start playing and all of the sudden everything i played started sounding amazing no matter what i played even if it was sloppy it sounded amazing not like my gear sounds good like my playing has improved to the point were that playing sounds good not just my gear. i dont know if im just crazy or does anyone know what im talking about and has had a similar moment.

• Members

I know exactly what you mean! Unfortunately, for me, it happens about twice a year...then it's gone the next day:mad: It feels like time is slowed down and I'm able to put my fingers exactly where I want them without thinking about the notes. I'm not thinking about 5th fret, 2nd string or "what do I play over a Am7b5"--It just happens! It makes up for all of the crappy practice sessions for the rest of the year:thu:

• Members

If you were cranking loud and usually play quietly then it's probably because your playing is being helped by amp compression. This can transform a dry, harsh amp tone and make it inspiring and flattering, just like you describe. As a result of the guitar suddenly becoming responsive and sounding better you are likewise inspired and play better too. Positive feedback all round and you have a great time.

This is one reason it's great to play LOUD as a guitar player. :D

• Members

You entered "the zone." Now figure out what got you there and learn to summon it.

Usually it takes me a little *help* to reach the zone :poke: But seriously, when you go there, it's all good! And as already stated, being able to go there at will is the trick. And I ain't there yet. I think it helps to just Not Think At All. Not about work, or kids, or life, or playing, or anything. :thu:

• Members

You entered "the zone." Now figure out what got you there and learn to summon it.

The 'zone' is a very fleeting thing. Can we ever summon it? Seems to just happen out of the blue for me. We all reach a certain consistent level due to the amount of time we work on playing guitar. The 'zone' are those times when the 'magic' happens. Ideas flow incessantly, your fingers act seemingly on their own and your tone is amazing. If I could summon that at will, I'd have a house in Maui!

Archived