CTS - need opinions please!

Kramerguy

• Members

Hi guys and gals,

Wish I was here to discuss more fun stuff like NGD's and GAS, but my problem has become serious.

I was diagnosed with CTS about a year ago, in both hands, but far more advanced in the left (chord) hand. They put me on a nocturnal brace and vitamin regiment to attempt to "manage" it and see how it goes.

For the last 10 months, it seemed to be manageable (although in hindsight, It was slowly but surely getting worse, I just didn't realize it), and about two to three weeks ago, it avalanced into the abyss. It's got to the point that my hand is in constant pain/numbness/burning, especially at night, as any of you who've had it might know. Fingering a simple G or C chord is painful and causes loss of feeling in my hand. I barely made it through two gigs last weekend and have two more this weekend.. not sure if I will make it though or not..

So now I have to make a decision, and it's not looking like an easy one.

Chiropracters claim they can "cure" it without surgery, and there's claims that the surgery is maginally effective, etc..

Now the surgeons (AMA) claims the opposite, that the surgery is 99.8% successful, and that chiropractors can cause permanent damage with their treatments.

So countless hours of google later, I can't find a common concensus from ANYONE that helps me to make a decision on which treatment option to choose.

But I'm out of time, ALL seem to agree that at this point, if I don't do something NOW, I could cause permanent damage just by doing nothing..

So those of you who have had CTS (severe), please let me know your circumstances, and how it was or was not resolved.

PLEASE no 2nd and 3rd person responses!! I've been hearing a LOT "my friend had it" type stories for a couple of weeks, and want to be able to ask specific questions to those who've had it, and respond as needed.

The way I see it is that making the wrong decision can permanently damage my hand(s) and I can't stand the thought of life without playing...

So thanks everyone, in advance.

• Members

My mom had surgery for carpal tunnel. That is what you have, right? Anyway, she has never regained the strength or grip in her hands. I would suggest massaging your hands and arms really good, hot & cold treatments, supplements for nerve health and anti swelling. And just let your hands rest more, and stretch them well. I had some symptoms but they have gone away mostly over time with a variety of therapies as I've suggested. Basically STOP the moment your hands feel stressed.

Sorry that was sort of s 2nd person response. The doctors recommend surgery because that's how they and hospitals make the most money. They also like you coming in for office calls as often as possible because that's an easy $80+ to say, "looks good, having any other problems?" "Ok, see you next time".

• Members

but thats the same response I get from the chiro's - gotta come in and get an adjustment, make everything ok.. come back next week and pay your co-pay...

I need to talk with people who've had it and had either surgery or chiro and whether it worked or not. I found millions of testimonials online about what doesn't work (half say the other half doesn't work and is in it for the money)

You can see how frustrating this is

• Members

i've had problems with that burning/numbness of my left hand at night....at times it's woke me up it was so bad...but it isn't as bad as it was when I first strarted playing....it only bothers me now if I play for a very extended time.

Can't help you with treatment as I've had none but various hand stretching techniques seems to help........I'd be interested in hearing from guitarists who have had the surgery too....

• Members

I have no specific advice. But, if it were me, I'd definitely take the advice of a physician/medical doctor over some quack chiropractor.

Actually, I'd probably hit up the empirical research on treatment/management of symptoms, but that's just me. But I'd definitely go to an MD.

Do you have any physician friends/family members/etc.? You might be able to get a more unbiased opinion that way, if you're afraid that physicians are trying to nickel and dime you. But I can pretty much guarantee that if a physician is nickel and diming you, so is a chiropractor.

I'd also recommend that you locate an occupational (or physical) therapist who specializes in working with musicians. He or she may be able to help you make adjustments to how you play and so forth that may relieve symptoms.

• Members

If that's you in your avatar you should work on playing with your wrist in a straighter position. You should keep your wrist as straight as possible whenever you can while playing.

If you feel any discomfort in your wrist in the area of the carpal tunnel find a less stressful position to play that piece, even if it's just a little discomfort. It may be of great benefit for you and anyone else to relearn the way you play some things to possibly avoid surgery and maybe eliminate your CTS symptoms altogether.

• Members

if you're going to go to a chiropractor, make sure he/she is also an MD - most good chiropractors also have an MD behind their names. They are qualified medical professionals and have helped many people who were thought to be hopeless...almost always in a non-invasive manner...

only other advice I'd have would be 2nd/3rd hand, but surgery absolutely wouldn't be the first thing I tried...it would be the last...

• Members

Chiropractors around these parts claim they can fix everything from migraines, to carpal tunnel, to back injuries, neck injuries, etc. etc.

Go to a doctor you trust. Then go to another doctor for a second opinion. Most likely the only thing that will give you a chance of fixing this thing is surgery. If you wanna mess around with this for years, pay a bunch of money and never be 100% then go to a chiropractor. If you want a chance at getting healthy and getting rid of it, have surgery.

• Members

If that's you in your avatar you should work on playing with your wrist in a straighter position. You should keep your wrist as straight as possible whenever you can while playing.

If you feel any discomfort in your wrist in the area of the carpal tunnel find a less stressful position to play that piece, even if it's just a little discomfort. It may be of great benefit for you and anyone else to relearn the way you play some things to possibly avoid surgery and maybe eliminate your CTS symptoms altogether.

Yeah, that's me in the avatar- I thought the lower slung the guitar, the worse it was for the wrists - I have it jacked pretty high, ultimately because it's the most comfortable position, but I'm also a little confused about "straightening out my wrist" as I don't know how to have it wrapped around the neck, yet straight? Can you give me some more insight?

Archived