Going Strap Shopping Today. Halp!

GiantFoamHat

• Members

I lost my other strap at a gig. It was a gift but it wasn't very high quality. I'm out to find something comfortable but relatively affordable. The nicer padded straps I've seen also unfortunately happen to cost $80-100. Maybe the brands I'm looking at are inflated though?

I had a $30 Levi leather strap before. I'd like to get something that will spread the weight of the guitar out a bit. Maybe a bit of padding.

What should I look for?

• Members

I recently got an Italia leather strap. I was a bit hesitant to buy something online that I couldn't feel first however I was also really disappointed at the stuff I found in guitar shops. For me it came between an Italia strap and the new reunion blues wool strap. The Italia turned out to be a great value for the money. The leather is super thick, and really high quality. I also got them to make it in a shorter length because I didn't want to have to use the second hole in the end of the stap to get the right guitar height. I just sent them the length I wanted and they sent me the strap in a few days. I'm super happy with it.

• Members

this thread got me curious about whats out there as far as straps go, i have the same straps for about 10 or 15 years so i really have no idea whats new in the world of straps these days...:idk:

I did a google search and found these websites , wow some really cool straps out there these days...:thu:

Eldorado straps - http://www.eldoradostraps.com/products.htm
StrapsonStrat-p.jpg

Strap king - http://guitarstrapking.com/catalog/5/luxury_padded
LPXBLT.jpg

Levys leathers - http://www.levysleathers.com/music
4952608c9efd7.jpg

straps at MF - Musicians Friend

Straps at ZZounds - ZZounds

cool thread , some nice stuff being made these days... :thu:

• Members

is it just me or do most leather straps with a "raw" suede underside just latch onto your shirt and pull it down your shoulder? Bothers the {censored} out of me. Something to look out for, I guess.

• Members

is it just me or do most leather straps with a "raw" suede underside just latch onto your shirt and pull it down your shoulder? Bothers the {censored} out of me. Something to look out for, I guess.

Yep, I've noticed that. In addition, they usually pad the wrong side of the strap, I notice that it's usually the shiny side that is raised a bit and is what really has the padding on it.

However, I've found a very useful trick: turn the damn thing inside out :facepalm:

I put the "outside" (shiny part) against your shoulder and let the suede show. I actually think it looks better and it's way more comfortable that way too. Don't have to keep looking like a dork messing with your shirt while playing. :thu:

• Members

I went to a thrift store and bought two big western leather belts. I put them together (hole end of one into the buckle of the other), cut to length, and punched holes with slits to fit over the strap knobs of the guitar.

Total cost: $4

Yes, I'm a tight-ass.

Archived