Playing a signature guitar...

John_McEnroe

• Members

I would normally never even consider a signature guitar because who wants to play a guitar with someone else's name on the headstock.

What do you guys think? Inexcusable to play a signature guitar?

I really like the look of the lee ranaldo jazzblaster, if it was just a standard model I would buy it in a heart beat... I'm not even a sonic youth fan, but I must admit I am GASSING for this guitar...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really don't understand the stigma that a lot of people attach to signature guitars. If the guitar has the features you want and it sounds and plays good for you, who cares whose name is on the headstock?

• Members

I really don't understand the stigma that a lot of people attach to signature guitars. If the guitar has the features you want and it sounds and plays good for you, who cares whose name is on the headstock?

I agree. Had they produced a lefty, I would have seriously considered the thingy-off-blink-182 Fender, or the Epi sig guitars... Really fancied the idea of the Epi with a Bigsby and something along the lines of a Flitertron dropped in. [Edited to add: the pointg of this example was that I don't think I could name a single B-182 song if my life depended on it).

I suppose I wouldn't see myself going for the Slipknot model, but then that's so not a style of guitar I'd play anyhow, so it's probably unfair.... that, and so many of the people who wouldn't touch a sig model are opposed to the very concept. The one thing I can see in that attitude is that if you're trying to establish yourself as a credible originals act, you don't want to pick up something that too readily pigeonholes you as a wannabe, but there's ways round that - alternative finishes, and whatnot.

• Members

exactly. i'm seriously looking at the new Pete Anderson sig Reverend. i can't tell you a single song that he's played on. but it looks right for what i want.

• Members

From what I understand, they are normally the finest examples of any particular instrument you can find. If money was no object, and I picked up a 'sig' guitar (as long as it was not really obvious like the SRV one), and I loved it, I would probably get it. In fact, I would be very happy to receive the Joe Bonamassa Les Paul if anyone needs it taking off their hands.

• Members

I can't think of a worse reason to not want to play a guitar. That being said, those Angus SGs are awesome but I really don't like the cartoon.

Redd Volkaert while playing with Merle Haggard played a Merle Haggard Tele but he did swap the pickups out.

• Members

This topic surfaces pretty frequently and a search would bring you up-to-date on the debate ... but if we cut to the chase, the only issue is:

It doesn't matter how you feel about the player, only how you feel about the guitar.

No matter how much you love the player, if the guitar isn't right for you, then leave it be. And no matter how indifferent yiu might be to the player, if the guitar works for you, that's all that matters.

I own three sigs: a Custom Shop Jeff Beck Strat, an old MIJ Jerry Donahue Tele and a PRS Santana SE Mk 1. All lovely.

EDIT: Needless to say, when I play 'em I sound nothing like Jeff Beck, Jerry Donahue or Carlos Santana. My loss (and my audiences') entirely.

• Members

I own a Jeff Beck strat and love it. It was the apex of my 15 year search for the strat that was right for me. I did find a limited run custom shop strat about 7 months later that came close but not close enough. Aren't all Paul Reed Smith guitars signature guitars? The Steinberger Spirit that I have is based on the design that was co-created by Mike Rutherford of Genesis, so that makes is a quasi-signature...

Honestly, I wouldn't care if it said Harmony on it so long as it played right for me and had the sound I wanted. Oh wait, I own one of those too :)

• Members

I dig signature guitars. The Dean from Hell is a dream guitar of mine, because I'm huge Dimebag fan. I've always wanted to make an EVH style Frankenstein. If I had teh money, I'd build myself a few replica guitars for artists, like David Gilmour's black strat, EVH's Frankenstein, 5150, and bumblebee, Mick Mars' Chrome top Tele, etc, etc. I just think it would be really cool.

• Members

I am talking about signature guitars that are easily identifiable. I dont think anyone would recognize a billy corgan strat. The ranaldo jazzmaster on the other hand...

That's different. If it's got a bunch of lame artwork or whatever, chances are I won't want it based solely on how it looks.

• Members

:thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu:

• Members

That's different. If it's got a bunch of lame artwork or whatever, chances are I won't want it based solely on how it looks.

Well it looks sick... but its the only trans blue jazzmaster with black pickguard and one knob you are going to find, so there is no hiding the fact that it is someone else's signature model.

I dont think the bedroom warrior set should have a problem with signature guitars... who cares... but people playing originals onstage thats something else

I think that if your own music is even in the same stratosphere as that of the person whose name is on the headstock of one of these signature guitars its pretty lame to play one...

• Members

how's that?

Because there are hundreds of different les pauls. We are talking about specific guitars with an individuals name on the headstock that are easily identifiable at a glance.

You may as well call all Fenders signature models.

Archived