Playing a signature guitar...

John_McEnroe

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because there are hundreds of different les pauls. We are talking about specific guitars with an individuals name on the headstock that are easily identifiable at a glance.

You may as well call all Fenders signature models.

They also have

Billy Gibbons

Jimmy Page

Jeff Beck

Warren Haynes

etc, etc,

I can tell you, barring cost, I would have no issues playing a Pearly Gates on any Stage. It is a beautiful guitar.

• Members

Corgan3.jpg

From a distance, nobody except a total Fender or Smashing Pumpkins geek is going to know if it's a BC signature mode. If it's got the features you like in a strat at the right price why should you care? It's already got Leo's last name on it.

• Members

Corgan3.jpg
From a distance, nobody except a total Fender or Smashing Pumpkins geek is going to know if it's a BC signature mode. If it's got the features you like in a strat at the right price why should you care? It's already got Leo's last name on it.

You obviously didn't read the thread... thanks for posting though. :wave:

• Members

I realize a Les Paul has les pauls signature on it...

Do you guys truly not think there is any difference between a Billy Corgan stratocaster and a Les paul standard? Please....

I think there is a grey area of difference. It would be like comparing a Joe perry l.p. to if a new guitar player had a sig jag-stang made.

I would play a sig guitar if I liked it. Even if I didn't like or know the player.

• Members

signature guitars used to not just be a guitar that was already out with a name tagged onto it.

I am aware of that. There were no les pauls before the "les paul" guitar. You cannot get a "pre signature les paul"

What I am talking about, which I know you understand but are just trying to be difficult, are things like the Slash Les paul... the Jeff Beck les paul... blah blah blah.

I would personally have no problem playing a slash les paul because I wouldn't recognize a slash song if raped my eardrums. I have a problem playing a Lee Ranaldo guitar because while my music is nothing like sonic youth, it is in the same general ball park.

• Members

exactly. i'm seriously looking at the new Pete Anderson sig Reverend. i can't tell you a single song that he's played on. but it looks right for what i want.

I picked up a Pete Anderson in black last week. Great guitar. It's the perfect mix of Gretsch and Gibson. Very well built. There are some clips of Pete playing the guitar at Truefire.com.

• Members

Usually I'm not even remotely interested in signature guitars. They were made to a certain player's specifications, not to mine.

On the other hand, if I want an instruments with those features and specifications I wouldn't mind buying one.

The downside is that usually there is a price premium associated with having a signature model. AFAIK Jimmy Vaughan's model has always been very affordable, though.

I've never owned a signature model, but I can't wait until my EBMM Steve Morse arrives this week. I wanted a versatile guitar that would work for different genres and that gave me good single coil and humbucker tones. Out of the ones I considered this one made the most sense to me.

• Members

Eric Johnson's strat is not signed, just his stick figure man logo on the neck plate. One of the best assembly line strats from Fender. For me, this strat has the same quality as a custom shop and it's price also reflects that.

My go to guitar is my Clapton signature strat. The mid boost circut provides for great versistillity. I'm also a big fan of the Eric Johnson strat very weel thought out.

• Members

I know technically les pauls are sig guitars but I'm not counting them as such in this post...

so that makes... ummm 2 sig guitars (again, non les-paul ones) that I own

1) peavey wolfgang. While a bit of a one-trick pony, this pony nails that trick perfectly. this is a kick ass rock machine - make no mistakes. and it doesnt matter if it had hannah montana's name on it I'd still rock it in a heartbeat

2) eric johnson strat. a very VERY excellent strat. its about as different of a strat as you can get while still being a strat.

Ironically, I don't even listen to VH or EJ much.. not like I'm a fanboy. So I am not ashamed to play a sig guitar in public during a show. Besides only other guitarists would recognize them as being sig guitars anyway.

I think some sig guitars are by their own rights excellent guitars, while some others are obviously more production style guitars modified slightly to be a money maker.

• Members

Ironically, I don't even listen to VH or EJ much.. not like I'm a fanboy.

The same applies to me in Steve Morse's case. I had heard some of his work and although I have a lot of respect for him I was unfamiliar with most of his work. I loved his Open Ears column and was more familiar with that, but not with his music.

I just began listening more closely in part to hear what sounds could be achieved with his guitar. Maybe I'm a fan now :D

Archived