Playing a signature guitar...

John_McEnroe

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am a Gilmour fan and I have a Gilmour Strat because of it. I like it. Who gives a {censored}
:idk:

Well if your band sounded like pink floyd, and you were playing a gilmour strat... I would think you were a douche.

;)

• Members

Well if your band sounded like pink floyd, and you were playing a gilmour strat... I would think you were a douche.

;)

I don't get that , but it's a good thing I'm not a douche then. I don't play PF stuff. I couldn't do it justice. My bands are diverse (see sig), but no PF

Oh.. and there is no signature on the guitar anyway, but I don't see how that makes a difference

• Members

Well it looks sick... but its the only trans blue jazzmaster with black pickguard and one knob you are going to find, so there is no hiding the fact that it is someone else's signature model.

I dont think the bedroom warrior set should have a problem with signature guitars... who cares... but people playing originals onstage thats something else

I think that if your own music is even in the same stratosphere as that of the person whose name is on the headstock of one of these signature guitars its pretty lame to play one...

Pete Townsen has been playing clapton strats on stage for quite some time.

• Members

How much did Clapton spend on Blackie? Or EVH on his Frankenstrat?

IIRC, SRV's Lenny would be around $800 in today's dollars. Now it's a $17,000 guitar
:facepalm:

The dark side of signature guitars...

True, but those are aimed at collectors.

• Members

How much did Clapton spend on Blackie? Or EVH on his Frankenstrat?

IIRC, SRV's Lenny would be around $800 in today's dollars. Now it's a $17,000 guitar
:facepalm:

The dark side of signature guitars...

I always got a kick out of the fact that the original frankenstein costed $170 which is almost the same price as my Douglas, but now it's $25,000. :eek::facepalm: I could build one for under $1,000.:facepalm::poke:

• Members

I don't get that , but it's a good thing I'm not a douche then. I don't play PF stuff. I couldn't do it justice. My bands are diverse (see sig), but no PF

Oh.. and there is no signature on the guitar anyway, but I don't see how that makes a difference

I agree, but a gilmour strat looks pretty much the same as any old strat. I would play a gilmour strat too, without issue.

• Members

really....repaint it, mod it, do whatever you want, but: if this guitars fits to YOUR needs you do not have to worry about about a signature job of a special artist.

I can see from your sig that you practice what you preach. ;)

I actually think the lee ranaldo jazz would be pretty cool in white or blonde.

• Members

I own one of the first SRV sig, strat's made. The reason I bought it was the neck was the biggest one Fender made at the time . Very comfortable.Liked the idea of a lefty whammy on a righty guitar.:idea:And I really liked the sound of the texas special pickup's.And the fact that it was an absolute sweetheart to look at.:love:And I never changed the pickguard.:poke:But yeah some sig. guitar's are pretty {censored}in lame with the skull's and demon's and such nonsense.:rolleyes::facepalm:

• Members

I can see from your sig that you practice what you preach.
;)

I actually think the lee ranaldo jazz would be pretty cool in white or blonde.

:rolleyes:

Well actually i have always been a fan of Clapton/Buddy guy but when I strated buying better guitars i had the same problems: "Do I relly need that? Do I have to copy an artist?" It ended up with buying a melody maker...:facepalm:

After some more guitars I finally played a Clapton sig and thought: "wow. This is it. Sounds like a strat. Sounds good feels good. And I do not sound like him. (which is ofcourse impossible but yeah i was young :D)" And so I fell in love with the nice little advantages the artist series often have....sure I do not only play them but the signature made me struggle for nothing. Years wasted :facepalm:

• Members

personally, I don't like paying the premium for a signature.

I don't have anything against it, cos at the end of the day, what everyone is forgetting is, its a guitar.

I think it boils down to what it looks like and how it plays. For instance

Signature guitar.DSCF0099.jpg

(yes, thats neon green BAT inlays :s )

signature guitar

ZakkWyldeBuzzSaw.jpg

signature guitar.

big.jpg

All Hideous IMO however.....

Signature guitar

fender-jim-adkins-telecaster.jpg

Signature Guitar

PRS_Santana_II_Model_Brazilian_Limited_E

Signature Guitar

fender-dave-murray-strat.jpg

Personally I think the bottom 3 are much more tasteful. But as they say there is no accounting for taste.

• Members

personally, I don't like paying the premium for a signature.

I don't have anything against it, cos at the end of the day, what everyone is forgetting is, its a guitar.

I think it boils down to what it looks like and how it plays. For instance

Signature guitar.
DSCF0099.jpg
(yes, thats neon green BAT inlays :s )

signature guitar

ZakkWyldeBuzzSaw.jpg
signature guitar.

big.jpg

All Hideous IMO however.....

Signature guitar

fender-jim-adkins-telecaster.jpg

Signature Guitar

PRS_Santana_II_Model_Brazilian_Limited_E

Signature Guitar

fender-dave-murray-strat.jpg

Personally I think the bottom 3 are much more tasteful. But as they say there is no accounting for taste.

I like the thinline tele. Who be it?

• Members

I would normally never even consider a signature guitar because who wants to play a guitar with someone else's name on the headstock.

What do you guys think? Inexcusable to play a signature guitar?

I really like the look of the lee ranaldo jazzblaster, if it was just a standard model I would buy it in a heart beat... I'm not even a sonic youth fan, but I must admit I am GASSING for this guitar...

I think its ok to collect sig models but to make them your main instrument is pretty fake IMO.

It tells me that you haven't got the creativity or the brains to create your own sound/guitar and just want to sound like some other player. OR look like some other player. Whatever, its all lame as {censored}!

I love modding my own guitars to my own specs BTW, there's nothing more satisfying.

• Members

I'd personally hesitate to get a signature guitar from a guitarist I really like, or from a dude who's in a band I really like.

Not even sure why that is. Maybe 'cause Id feel like a poser or a copycat or something. Or maybe cause I'd think it be deadly for my credibility when other people see me playing it? Nah, I just don't see the point in wanting to sound exactly like someone else. Which to me would seem the only reason to buy your fav guitarist's sig model.

But when I happen to like the specs of a signature guitar from some blues dude I never even heard of or even hate...I wouldn't care about the name on the headstock.

• Members

I buy an ax because it has to have features that I find useful.I have a Beck and Clapton strat not because they are two of my favorite artist but because those guitars kick ass. I also have 2 Wolfgangs for the same reasons and I play nothing at all like VH. But I have to agree that when an artist ax screams that artist SRV strat a Vanhalen Striped frankenstrat it kills the guitar and the person playing it . I know about 5 Iron Maiden songs but that Dave Murray strat after checking it out will be in my basement.

• Members

I own one of the first SRV sig, strat's made. The reason I bought it was the neck was the biggest one Fender made at the time . Very comfortable.Liked the idea of a lefty whammy on a righty guitar.:idea:And I really liked the sound of the texas special pickup's.And the fact that it was an absolute sweetheart to look at.:love:And I never changed the pickguard.:poke:But yeah some sig. guitar's are pretty {censored}in lame with the skull's and demon's and such nonsense.
:rolleyes::facepalm:

I have a more recent srv, 2007. It's my #1 gigging ax. I did not change the pickgaurd and I don't give a flip if it bothers anyone. I'm certainly no srv nor do I pretend to be. Like you, I love the neck, it's easily the nicest strat neck that fender makes (imo of course). I also love the sound.

So if fender made an identical strat, but it wasn't an srv sig strat, I would have bought that, but they don't, and I didn't.

Archived