I'll put my MIM Keeley Strat up against any MIA Strat out there......

NappyDugOut

• Members

My 2003 MIM is one of the very best Strats I've ever played, period. Easily better all the way around than my friend's 2005 MIA Standard. It came with an upgraded switch, tuners, pickups and neck. It was a custom order for a sponsored Country band. I was lucky enough to find it on CL after the break up.:p

• Members
My 2003 MIM is one of the very best Strats I've ever played, period. Easily better all the way around than my friend's 2005 MIA Standard. It came with an upgraded switch, tuners, pickups and neck. It was a custom order for a sponsored Country band. I was lucky enough to find it on CL after the break up.
:p

Well at that point, it's not really an MIM Strat anymore is it?

FWIW- I've got an '03 MIM Strat with all new electronics and Fat 50's pu's; it sounds good and plays well, but it's still not up to the tone and playability of any of my MIA Strats, some of which are bone stock.

• Members

For me MIM strats can't really be compared to MIA strats.

MIM strats have a narrower string spacing, a 6 screw tremolo system, and 21 fret necks that are often a smaller radius.

MIA have wider string spacing, a superior two point trem system, 22 frets, and a finger board radius that is simply more comfortable to play on.

So for me it's apples and oranges. I'm sure MIM strats can be fine guitars, just not the same thing as a usa strat tough.

• Members

Well at that point, it's not really an MIM Strat anymore is it?

FWIW- I've got an '03 MIM Strat with all new electronics and Fat 50's pu's; it sounds good and plays well, but it's still not up to the tone and playability of any of my MIA Strats, some of which are bone stock.

My thoughts exactly...

To the OP...

A HUUUUUGE part of what makes it a MIM strat is the pickups. Granted, the body and neck were still assembled in Mexico, but dude... of COURSE your Keeley's are probably gonna sound better than any MIM strats and a lot of MIA strats as well... THE PICKUPS COST $250-$299 (depending on which set you get)... My MIA strat cost me $700 brand new, and I'd be willing to bet that mine plays much better than any MIM strat out there; the quality of work is just better out of the MIA strats.

But yeah... your MIM strat isn't as much a MIM strat anymore...

• Members
I enjoyed your playing, NappyDugOut! Sounds great!
:thu:

How do you like the RT-20? I use a chorus pedal on fast speed to simulate the Leslie rotating speaker sound.

The RT-20 is great, the distortion is kinda lame. If I want distortion with it I use a Keeley Java Boost. When used in stereo with two amps it's AWESOME!!!!

• Members

I've tried putting my guitars up against one another a few times. Nothing ever happens though, they just sit there staring at each other.

Yeah the little critters never breed in captivity.

Archived