Tremolo question.

Blackhell

• Members

Okay guys, I know this kinda thread has probably been done, but I haven't seen one in the last 10 pages like this.

My question is: What would buy?

A guitar with a Floyd Rose (or any locking trem for that matter. Kahler or otherwise)

Or a Vintage Trem? (6screw, 2 point, wilkinsons, etc, etc.)?

I know this is all about what you play and your style, but it's a fair question.

I prefer the Floyd Rose, and mostly because I use it alot and the music I play calls for tricks you can only do on a Floyd Rose like pull-ups and REALLY high squeals.

State what you like, and the reason why.:)

• Members

I own an OFR, a Fishman (Wilky with a piezo, basically) and a Schaller Floyd right now.. In the past I've owned traditional strat trems, 2 point strat trems, Kahler trems, etc..

If I had to pick my absolute favorite trem bridge, it'd be the Ibanez Edge Pro. Best feel, best range, most stable, looks awesome, so easy to work on, and replaceable knife edges..

• Members

I have a Floyd on one of my guitars..Never use it..At most I would do would lay my palm on it and gently rock hand back and forward slightly for vibrato on open strings or close to the neck.Never used the Strat one..Have springs tighten up and 6 screws flush with bridge..Guess Im not into Whammy stuff..Although I like the look of a Floyd..It makes a guitar with a tremelo look tougher..

• Members

i have a Floyd, a standard AM Strat and a Bigsby Gretsch....and i freakin HATE the Floyd......yea....once they're locked down...they're indestructable...sorta.....but they are such a PITA...to work with.....in fact...it still has the same strings on it from 5 YEARS ago...cuz i don't wanna deal with it

• Members

Everyone wants the easy maintainability of a hardtail or simple strat trem, but nobody wants the ultimately low usablility that makes the guitar go stark out of tune once the trem's been used enough to justify its place on the guitar.
Because of this, I vote floyd, though jazzmaster trems are my favorite. If someone could make a hybrid, that'd be my vote.

• Members

I have one Wilkinson and one Strat whammy (Am Dlx with locking tuners). The Wilkinson has been excellent with Sperzel locking heads and graphite nut. The Strat's been more problematic: my guess is it's a combination of the nut (bone's great, but I think it needs more lube) and the fact that the Schaller locking heads are old and slipping.

Never owned a Floyd Rose-style, and the Bigsby is great but a pain to restring unless you have locking tuners.

• Members

The Music Man vintage trem is my favorite. I love the feel of it. I imagine though its awesome stability is greatly enhanced by the locking tuners and perfectly cut nuts.

I have had a luke, axis super sport, and now have a silhouette. When properly set up, you can't throw it of tune when you try.

• Members

I like two point non-locking paired with a good nut and locking tuners. For some reason, I feel like there is more spring in the feel (and I like that springy-ness).

But FRs are nice too as are hard tails.

Look: I like guitars! What can I say?

:wave:

• Members

The three best non-locking tremolo (well, actually vibrato) bridges, in my experience (and in order) are:

Trem-King: great tuning stability, smooth operation, doesn't detune when you bend or a string breaks -- expensive, requires routing to install

Parker Fly tremolo: good stability, easy to adjust tension and switch from locked to down only to full float -- fiddly to set up, cannot be retrofitted

Point Classic: good stability, especially with regard to return to zero, easy to adjust, smooth operation -- requires routing to install

• Members

Pretty happy with the 'Jeff Beck' system -- Fender 2pt bridge, LSR roller nut, Sperzel locking tuners.

Plus even the budget Korean version of the PRS trem system on my Santana SE seems to work impressively well.

Archived