What kind of music is this - Tibetan throat singing?

Phait

• Members

at 00:26 and on a bit

I'm trying to find an online radio station to listen to things like this.

Yes. One of the more know groups of this type of music is the Gyuto Monks Tantric Choir who have released a few CDs. I saw them live and it was stunning. The floor was shaking from just the vocals.

• Members

I've also seen the Gyuto Monks Tantric Choir. Same thing. The floor was shaking. Experiencing them in person is astounding. I've also heard Tibetan chanting in numerous monasteries throughout India (Bylakuppe, Ladakh & Dharamsala in the Himalayas, and elsewhere).

Last FM There are a lot of different things here, but if you want to hear the choirs, just keep flipping through the various songs.

Each of the monks will hit the fundamental and one or more harmonics. To hear 20 or more people doing this is phenomenal.

[YOUTUBE]M6LwoXma_X0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The late Paul Pena was really into this stuff. I played and recorded with him in the late 60s, when he was a student at Clark U. in Worcester; he was an extremely talented blues/rock singer/writer even back then. He wrote "Jet Airliner", the Steve Miller hit (that's why it has a reference to "New England town"; Paul grew up on Cape Cod).

He later moved to the west coast and got deeply into Tuvan throat singing, and fused that approach with the blues -- there's a movie and soundtrack album about this, called "Genghis Blues":

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=251796848&s=143441

Paul's bio here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Pena

• Members

There was a guy at MusicPlayer.com who had a group which performed this kind of music... his band's name was "Big Sky". Good stuff.

Steve Sklar, I googled him.

He came to Los Angeles to perform before. Went to check it out. Good stuff.

• Members

Then again, it turned someone on to Tibetan chanting. So it sucks/it's great.

Well, okay...

The chanting heard on this videos is prayer, not performance. Actually, and as the monks understand it, also whenever only the recording is played back, its prayer are effectively said anew.

The liturgical arts of Tibetan Buddhism is sacred, and should not be used for a sugar soft drink tv-spot.

When I added tibetan tantric prayers to one movement of a symphony, they said that I should threat it with respect. This even though some of the text is wordly, respectively strive to cut away veils of illusions and transcendends the everyday world of human folly.

Or lets say it this way. If I would be religious, and some knucklehead would use the prayers of my believe for a tv add, I would protest. But the days of respect are gone.

Archived