Reverend Jetstream HB - Short Review

Woody_in_MN

• Members

Background: Music Toyz has been blowing out some Hamers, and Reverends over the last couple weeks. Ever since I saw a demo of a Reverend Volcano (V shape) I had been intrigued with Reverends, and hoped to get one if there was an opportunity. I had my eye on a Jetstream HB. I liked the general body shape. A bit Jaguar-ish. The pic listed on eBay was black w/ tortoise pickguard, that looked really sharp. However after reading the listing closer a couple days later, I realized it was 3-tone Maple Flame. I was not sure I would like the maple flame, but after watching a demo of the Jetstream, which was also 3 tone maple flame, I started to warm up to it. Then when I decided I was going to sell my Jaguar HH (the bridge PUP was not hot enough for my taste), the bing/paypal rebate went up to 12%. And I bought the Jetstream.

First Impressions: The Jetstream Arrived last Thursday. Honestly I was a bit under-impressed. The reviews had been so high. The quality seemed OK, but I just thought it did not play that well (unplugged). Also the body is flat on both sides. This is not my most comfortable guitar. Thursday night, I loosened the strings, and applied fret doctor to the fret board

• Members

Sorry you had problems with the setup, my Manta Ray was very good out of the gate. I had some little washer thing come loose after a week or so that cause a buzzing but other than that and a slight intonation adjustment on the A string nothing has been changed since I got it

Glad you're digging it though. :thu:

• Members

^^^

Thanks. I played it again for about 20 minutes tonight thu my Kustom 16. I just love the hot bridge PUP. I can almost get feedback off the bidge PUP with all the controls turned up, and gain on the Kustom abot 1/3 the way up. I turn the bass control down, and get a real twangy tone. I'm still impressed.

- w

• Members

Congrats on the new rev !!

These are still the best kept secret in the market.

Bummer about the set-up issue... they are usually ready to go off the shelf (or are supposed to be).

What I would suggest now is to join the rev forum and start looking for the next victim ! :poke: well.. I'm kinda speaking from experience.. so many cool models.. reasonably priced... KICK ASS FRIGGIN GUITARS !!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cop:

sorry.. it happens.

• Members

That's a beautiful Rev.

The Revs were a Revelation to me when I went down to the local dealer and tried them out. Played like butter (shop sets them up nicely) and the pups are terrific (and yes, the bass contour is awesome).

Watch out, now you'll be gassin' for some of their other models.

Congrats and enjoy.

• Members

I'm not suprised that they don't thrill as much unplugged these days. With the old semihollow, phenolic laminate bodies you would get this amazing resonance when you played unplugged. A solid body just wouldn't deliver the same punch.

That being said, it's good to hear that the plugged-in sound rocked. They really are a great company, and will go out of their way to address any problems you have with their stuff. I have two Revs already, and someday I'm sure I'll own another one...

Archived