Samick guitars??

cincy_cosmo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have two Samicks.

One is a 335-style branded Vantage but has an Epiphone label inside. It's incredibly well-made. It has what may be my favorite humbucking pickup in it.

My other Samick is a Royale RL-3. These are incredicle steals on eBay. The one I got was new old stock. It was set up perfectly. I don't know if the setup came from the factory or if the seller did it.

• Members

I have a Samick Greg Bennet desgin Corsair bass. Initially okay for $200 but I noticed about 6 months after I got it - sighting down the neck that the neck appeared noticabely twisted (it was not the case when I first got it, I check the neck of every guitar I look at). Doesn't seem to affect playability but just kind of annoying. I think most Samick brand guitars are excellent value, but they'll only ever be a budget line to me.

• Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mckpaw0Qbk8

greg bennett talking about photo and real quilt tops

well, i'll cut to the meat. :)

he claims that the avion, royale and lasalle lines all uses real flame veneers. However, he concedes that torino and ultra uses photoflame because "the angles were too severe for a proper veneer... some photofinishes ended up being more expensive than veneers".

so, i took out my av3 and compared it to the photo on the website. the flame pattern is noticably different. does this mean it's veneer? i've always assumed that photoflames look all the same on the same series of guitars.

• Members

World Music = SAMICK

Samick Makes:

1. Epiphone

2. PRS SE series

3. Agile

4. Jackson

5. ESP

6. Ibanez

7. Michael Kelly

8. Dillion

9. Dean

10. Johnson

11. Jay Turser

There are more - oh, yeah you've played a Samick. Just like someone else wrote Samick has many factories around in the east, along with Cort.

• Members

A Samick isn't necessarily a Samick-different factories/models/lines=different quality and price ranges. Grabbed this artist series SGDSC02893.jpg from some crazy lady in North Hollywood for $140 w/case. Set neck, mahogany body + neck. Stock pickups not bad, threw in an old ('79) Duncan Distortion in the bridge, replaced the pots/caps, quick set up and set the intonation.

Lightweight bastard kicks unholy ass (even SG lifer and Bad Religoid Brian Baker was impressed). One of my favorite necks as well. A set of grovers, and she's roadworthy.

• Members
well, i'll cut to the meat.
:)

he claims that the avion, royale and lasalle lines all uses real flame veneers. However, he concedes that torino and ultra uses photoflame because "the angles were too severe for a proper veneer... some photofinishes ended up being more expensive than veneers".

so, i took out my av3 and compared it to the photo on the website. the flame pattern is noticably different. does this mean it's veneer? i've always assumed that photoflames look all the same on the same series of guitars.

I'm guessing they use pattern scheme similar to the type they use for floor tiles. Probably about four different patterns so the guitars right next to each other on the wall don't look exactly the same. The 1st and the 5th though...

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I have owned 3 SAMICK guitars and have been nothing but impressed. I actually just ordered another, TMJ 5 CE. I play all the time both solo and group and when it comes to Acoustic/Electric I only use SAMICK.:thu:

Attached is 2 of the 3 I own.

• Members

I was at a musicgoround with my 16 yr. son. He wanted to get something, I was merely the designated driver. First thing to catch my eye was an B-1M/CBL. Made in Indonesia, Bennett Series strat copy with a transparent green/blue finish & maple/maple neck. It looked & felt pretty damn good. Much better than I was anticipating when I saw the price. Most likely never played. Marked at a ridiculously low price but the 16 yr wasn't interested. I was mainly trying to keep him away from anything too pointy or with a FR. So he went for a black Fernandez strat, but it had a broken trussrod. Eventually talked him into a blue Yamaha Pacifica, which I told him to get right after he dismissed the Samick anyway.

We left & went home, but all night & the next morning, that Samick called me back to musicgoround. So, I bought it for my 5 yr old son's upcoming birthday. :lol::thu: It keeps him out of my stuff & I get to play it as well. Then I had to buy him an H&K 15-R amp, so he (we) have something to plug it into. It's a win-win all around. :) I would definitely consider buying another Samick or a higher end model, all for myself next time.

I.......

own...

three.

They're pretty nice. Typical Korean build. No surprises.

Burgess how's the Samick SPN 4450 since your NGD post? I saw one for sale over the weekend, at a consignment type Barn Sale place. No idea what the model was, except it had a thick transparent greyish finish, over quilted maple & gold flaking hardware. Looked basically like yours. The price they wanted was $375, but they would let me have it for only $350. ;) I forgot about it, until I saw your post. Claimed it was over $1000 new & a whole bunch other BS, to go along with it. It was all stock. They didn't have an amp available for a test drive. Although a nice looker, I didn't care for it much. The body seemed abnormally thin. Seemed really light & almost like a toy to me.

• Members

I have a thing for Samick Valley Arts guitars. I have had a couple and found them to be of great quality. I even had one of their basses. The transparent finishes on their Valley Arts ones are absolutely hot. I only have one Samick Valley Arts guitar these days. It is a SSM1-PH. The single coils sound great but I put a DiMarzio Air Zone in the neck. I would prefer one of the transparent finishes but I absolutely love the feel of this guitar.

SamickSuperStrata.jpgSamickSuperStratb.jpg

SamickSuperStrata.jpgSamickSuperStratb.jpg

• Members

Three of them here. One a stratish-sort of thing, but not a direct clone. One a P-bass copy. One a Blues Saraceno Radio 10, which is sort of a combination of a Peavey Wolfgang and a Tele.

All are decent guitars. I take the Samick bass along as a backup bass when playing a bass gig. The pickup was dead when I got it, replaced it with an "EMG Select" pickup. Sounds and plays fine.

• Members

Samick and I believe Cort make most of the guitars in the world. I have owned several Samicks and they were real nice. Didn't the Valley Arts guitars start as a Samick? I now have a Samick TV Twenty in Plaid and it kicks ass. Of course it's a signature model.

TVTwenty2.jpg

TVTwenty7.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived