Replacing Strat pickguard?

RoboCop00

• Members

I plan on buying a mint green SSS pickguard to replace the white one on my Strat now (see avatar). I've never taken the PG off of a Strat, but I know the electronics are connected to it....

Is it an easy replacement? Just pop it off and put the new one on?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Everything but the jack is mounted to the pickguard, and the pick guard is mounted to the guitar. First remove the strings (easer to remove them than to work around them) than simply un screw the Pickups (the screws have a spring on them DON'T lose them) and un bolt the knobs. Removing the knobs is easy they just pull off.

• Members

Everything but the jack is mounted to the pickguard, and the pick guard is mounted to the guitar.
Fires remove the strings
(easer to remove them than to work around them) than simply un screw the PUPs and un bolt the knobs.

to be a smartass fire would likely remove the whole guitar

• Members

You have to de solder the jack from the volume pot. Remember how it's connected, keep all the screws in a cup. Sounds like fun, good luck.

Its not worth it to unsolder the jack for just changing the pickguard. Lay a towel over your guitar so you don't scratch it. Take the electronics out of the old pickguard, place them in the new, done.

• Members

I've probably done it 15 times... No soldering required. Probably the hardest part is getting the pickup height screws into the new pickguard, then through the spacer springs, then into the actual pickup/pickup cover.

But... I usually leave the strings on and just remove the neck unless I was needing to change the strings anyway.

• Members

I just did this two weeks ago. 15 minutes, tops.

1. Remove strings.

2. Remove VTT knobs and switch tip, and the nuts holding the pots.

3. Unscrew the eleven (or eight) pickguard screws.

4. Gently lift the pickguard, and turn it more or less upside down.

5. Unscrew the selector switch (2 screws).

6. Unscrew the pickups, trying to catch the little springs or rubber grommets as they fall off. The springs will likely stick to the pickup magnets. The covers will now just lift off.

7. Put the old PG aside, and put the new one in the ready position.

8. Assemble the new PU covers, carefully put the springs back onto the screws, and start to tighten them. Don't tighten the screws all the way yet, as they're adjusting the pickup height, which you later want to match the way they were.

9. Reattach the switch and the nuts for the VTT pots.

10. Carefully put the PG onto the face of the guitar, making sure the wires are inside the cavities.

11. Screw the 11 screws back in, pop on the new knobs and switch tip, set the pickups to their original heights.

12. Restring

• Members

i want to know how to also. How do u take the electronics out?

easiest job ever!! Just take off the strings, unscrew the pickguards and unscrew the parts, toss the old pick guard and replacfe with the new pick guard. screw it back together and replace the strings

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Quick question, when changing pick guards on a Strat, I know you must gently pull off the tone control knobs (obviously), but does the S1 volume knob work the same way?

Do you just gently pull off the S1 knob? Or is there some other trick to removing it?

Thanks for any help anybody can offer.

Archived