G+L Tribute series

• Members

I just got a tribute s500 and figured I'd recommend them to EVERYONEEE, played it side by side American Fenders and when set up properly they play much better than the American Standards and almost as good as an Eric Johnson signature I tried out. :eek:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've got an ASAT Tribute that I bought because it played and sounded better than any US Made G&L or Fender Tele in the store. Was looking at Teles, ASATs and Bluesboys, and picked this one up on a whim and was instantly smitten. It's become my Number 1.

Only gripe is I need to do some work on the volume pot, it's a bit noisy, and the contact cleaner hasn't really helped.

• Members

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Count me in as a tad unimpressed with the Tributes compared to the real-deal G&L models they mimic -- unless they've done something recently that might change my mind.

They actually have done something recently. All the old tributes had tribute hardware. New tributes have the same bridge, machine heads, pickups, pots, caps, etc, etc, as the US models. US made G+Ls actually have a different neck on them that isn't necessarily better, it's a bit fatter which I don't care for, I've managed to get the action as low as my Gibby SG with no fret buzz and it sounds amazing. Of course they might not be quite as good as the US models but they're better than most Fenders and aren't $1500 worse than the US models.

Best bang for your buck in my opinion. I love this guitar.

EDIT: Venture head, if you got it a while ago I suggest changing out pots and caps anyways, new tributes have the same pots and caps as the Americans but the old ones had garbage pots and caps that everyone was complaining about.

• Members

The thing I don't understand is: if G&L is so much better than Fender, why does Fender outsell G&L 1000:1?

:idk:

Does every 15 year old kid picking up a guitar know that?

no. they know "Fender" and "Fender" can be found at just about every guitar shop.

Fender simply has a MUCH larger established market because of their brand name

• Members

The thing I don't understand is: if G&L is so much better than Fender, why does Fender outsell G&L 1000:1?

:idk:

Same reason Gibson can get away with selling $3000 Les Pauls with high frets and crappy finish. Some Fenders are very good, and some Gibsons are amazing, but these big mass production companies quality control is starting to get out of hand. Fender is a great company that makes great guitars, but you're paying for the name on the headstock.

• Members

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Count me in as a tad unimpressed with the Tributes compared to the real-deal G&L models they mimic -- unless they've done something recently that might change my mind.

Considering they are a third of the cost the are pretty good in that respect

• Members

we sell a ton of tributes in the store i work at. for the money they are fantastic, althought the Legacy line is a little heavy due to that massive trem block.(close to a pound of metal).

The hardware is the same except the trib. have mighty mite pots. the big diff in rha americans are there are now like 5-7 neck options and the bodies are far more contoured. also the necks on USA maple necks are cut diff. the fretboard is cut lenghtwise then the truss is laid in and the maple cap put back on....the grain fits nicer because the wood remembers. trib have one option and maybe 2 finishes. But, for all that, i love my trib S-500 (05' burst maple neck, pearl white guard)

Congrats!!! great guitar.

• Members

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Me, too, although I haven't played one in a year or so.

For me it was like "cool G&L!", then I play it, and it's "WTF us wrong with this"?

:(

• Members

Me, too, although I haven't played one in a year or so.

For me it was like "cool G&L!", then I play it, and it's "WTF us wrong with this"?

:(

Setup, they're like any guitar, it needs to be setup right. Anybody who complains about these guitars played one setup poorly and failed to realize that or just dislike how strats play in general. All guitars are different but every G+L tribute I've played that is setup half decent is on par with most of the Fenders I've played.

The quality and playability is definitely there. Though I have to say I got a good one, I played about 5 of them and while most I thought were good but not great the one I got plays on par with my 61 reissue SG which is saying a lot.

• Members

Setup, they're like any guitar, it needs to be setup right. Anybody who complains about these guitars played one setup poorly and failed to realize that or just dislike how strats play in general. All guitars are different but every G+L tribute I've played that is setup half decent is on par with most of the Fenders I've played.

The quality and playability is definitely there. Though I have to say I got a good one, I played about 5 of them and while most I thought were good but not great the one I got plays on par with my 61 reissue SG which is saying a lot.

Nope.

I can tell.

:)

• Members

If someone at G&L is reading this, I would like to see a Tribute SC-2 and an SC-1, like tomorrow or sooner.
:wave:

Why bother with a Tribute version of something that you can already get for $845 for the 'real' thing?

http://www.guitaradoptions.com/g-l-sc-2-in-vintage-white.html

And as far as Tributes go, they are great for the money, but lets not get too carried away and act like they're the 'real' thing... They're not, and most are not even close. :cop:

• Members

I just got a tribute s500 and figured I'd recommend them to EVERYONEEE, played it side by side American Fenders and when set up properly they play much better than the American Standards and almost as good as an Eric Johnson signature I tried out.
:eek:

No way. It can't be any good. It's made by Asians.

It'll play slanted notes. Good for bending only.

;)

• Members

got a USA asat special and legacy. both are great though the asat special gets alot more play time than the legacy.

the legacy actually plays better but the asat specials pickups rule.

I've considered swapping round the necks to see if that would make the asat play as good as the legacy.

• Members

Nope.

I can tell.

:)

Same here. I recently played an Tribute Bluesboy and it did not compare to my G&L ASAT Bluesboy. The fretwork, feel, and hardware and, of course, sound was just not there - not even close. They are a good value, but are not on the same planet as the USA G&Ls.

• Members

Same here. I recently played an Tribute Bluesboy and it did not compare to my G&L ASAT Bluesboy. The fretwork, feel, and hardware and, of course, sound was just not there - not even close. They are a good value, but are not on the same planet as the USA G&Ls.

Yes.

I have 3 G&L USA guitars, and a bevy of Strats and Teles.

I do know the difference when playing a Tribute.

That is not to say that some Tribs are not gems, possibly.

The ones I've played did not impress.

The G&L Bluesboy is one fine guitar.:thu:

• Members

Yes.

I have 3 G&L USA guitars, and a bevy of Strats and Teles.

I do know the difference when playing a Tribute.

That is not to say that
some
Tribs are not gems, possibly.

The ones I've played did not impress.

The G&L Bluesboy is one fine guitar.
:thu:

Tributes are like Gibsons: you have to play a few to find the one. :D

I think that I played 9 before I got my S-500 Tribute. It was a great guitar, superb value for the money, but the US versions are in a different league.

I also had a Will Ray Tribute. Unfortunately the store only had 2 or 3 and neither was great. Again, great value for the money.

I recently sold my USA S-500 with Rocketfire pickups. If I ever get a "Strat" in the future that will be at the top of my list. Superb in terms of sound and feel. I did not like the stock G&L pickups that much, though.

Archived