G+L Tribute series

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The tributes are nice guitars, I had a legacy. I'm surprised at the poster on page one who said that they were "a little heavy", my legacy was LIGHT. I'm talking about a pound less than an American Standard. The pickups on them are GREAT, and obviously the master bass/master treble knobs are great and give you infinite tones.

My only gripe with G&L's is the bridge. I just can't get used to it, strats are supposed to have a vintage trem setup flat. The way the trem on a G&L is setup (about 1/8th to 1/4 inch off the deck) it feels much higher to me (the neck sits higher out of the pocket as well so it makes sense). One other thing about the tributes is I think the maple fretboards look/feel a bit grubby, especially compared to the nice rosewood ones (and I guarantee you the maple FB ones will have sharp frets until you fix them). Anyway I wish I could have got on with the guitar because it was a great instrument.

• Members
Why bother with a Tribute version of something that you can already get for $845 for the 'real' thing?

http://www.guitaradoptions.com/g-l-sc-2-in-vintage-white.html

And as far as Tributes go, they are great for the money, but lets not get too carried away and act like they're the 'real' thing... They're not, and most are not even close.
:cop:

:lol:
By the guitars in your sig, it's pretty obvious your brand name fascination wouldn

• Members
Sure about that?

:idk:

I should have qualified that as "MY STRATS are supposed to have vintage trems setup flat". I thought that the context of my post made that clear. I will elaborate as to why I like it though. 1. no going sharp with picking hand on bridge 2. faster string changes (get in tune faster because the bridge is stationary) 3. It is physically more comfortable for me 4. I think with 5 springs tight the tone is warmer and louder acoustically 5. If you break a string you stay in tune.

Electric Blues are you just a troll? All your posts I've seen are "*smug comment* insert diatribe about how people play headstocks". I mean seriously, we are talking about instruments here not religious belief or anything.

• Members

Electric Blues are you just a troll? All your posts I've seen are "*smug comment* insert diatribe about how people play headstocks". I mean seriously, we are talking about instruments here not religious belief or anything.

You noticed that too?

:thu:

I just ignore ignorant {censored}s like that anymore. No use in trying to tell someone like that anything in the first place since they already know everything.

• Members
and most are not even close.

It's also the type of guy with a signature like this one, so everyone can be impressed with their gear.

2003 Gibson Les Paul Custom Silverburst
2008 Gibson Les Paul Axcess Iced Tea
2007 Gibson ES-339 Vintage Sunburst
2008 Gibson Faded Explorer Worn Brown
2009 Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker Worn White
2008 Charvel So-Cal Style 1 2H Candy Green
2008 Fender Classic Player Jaguar HH Sunburst

They're SO sensible about their brand choice that they feel threatened by an internet thread like this... or at least respond as if threatened.

SO insulted that instead of offering any type of intelligent argument revert to name calling or ignoring. If they were so happy with their guitars, why would they care what anyone else thought about their choice?

• Members

They're SO sensible about their brand choice that they feel threatened by an internet thread like this... or at least respond as if threatened.

SO insulted that instead of offering any type of intelligent argument revert to name calling or ignoring. If they were so happy with their guitars, why would they care what anyone else thought about their choice?

What the {censored} is your problem? Is my gear list so offensive to you that you have to make asinine assumptions about me based solely on my sig?

And how am I 'threatened' in any way by this thread, or any other for that matter?

I made a simple statement that Tributes are not the 'real thing', and they're not. I've owned several 'real' G&Ls and they were all great guitars. I owned a Tribute S-500 and it was good for what it was, but nothing outstanding. Same goes for other Tributes I've played.

If you like cheap guitars, good for you. I'd rather get the most out of my money so I buy guitars that are good deals to me at the time, regardless of what is on the headstock. Just so happens most of my recent good deals have been on nicer guitars, sorry if that makes me 'threatened' or offends you in any way...

• Members
I'd rather get the most out of my money so I buy guitars that are good deals to me at the time, regardless of what is on the headstock.
Just so happens most of my recent good deals have been on nicer guitars, sorry if that makes me 'threatened' or offends you in any way...

Cool if that's what you look for in a guitar and works for you.

I don't choose a guitar based on whether it's a good deal or not. I prefer to purchase extraordinary instruments, regardless of price, brand or place of origin.

• Members
Cool if that's what you look for in a guitar and works for you.

I don't choose a guitar based on whether it's a good deal or not. I prefer to purchase extraordinary instruments, regardless of price, brand or place of origin.

Another snarky douche bag comment, what a surprise. :rolleyes:

Would it make you feel better if I said my guitars were 'extraordinary instruments' AND a good deal?

I'm not sure why you're so obsessed with my list in the first place. A non-Custom Shop Custom, the cheapest Gibson semi-hollow, Faded Explorer, Melody Maker, Mexican Jaguar, Charvel, etc. Nothing there that's even close to high end except the Axcess and I got it for over 40% off MAP with a free Melody Maker, so it was pretty much a no-brainer.

• Members

Another snarky douche bag comment, what a surprise.
:rolleyes:

Not to choose sides or anything but while everyone is throwing F bombs around and calling people douches and so on...I'd be inclined to be of the opinion that you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to guitars strictly based upon your prior statements of course and admittedly without evidence of such.

By the way, my 'sig' would look like this if I put my guitars in it:

-2006 Fender U.S.A. 60th Anniversary HS Telecaster

-2006 Fender U.S.A. 60th Anniversary

• Members

Not to choose sides or anything but while everyone is throwing F bombs around and calling people douches and so on...I'd be inclined to be of the opinion that you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to guitars
strictly based upon your prior statements
of course and admittedly without evidence of such.

What prior statements made you come to that conclusion? That a Tribute isn't the 'real thing', or something else?

• Members
Another snarky douche bag comment, what a surprise.

Would it make you feel better if I said my guitars were 'extraordinary instruments' AND a good deal?

I'm not sure why you're so obsessed with my list in the first place. A
non-Custom
Shop Custom, the
cheapest
Gibson semi-hollow, Faded Explorer, Melody Maker, Mexican Jaguar, Charvel, etc. Nothing there that's even close to high end except the Axcess and I got it for over
40% off MAP
with a
free
Melody Maker, so it was pretty much a no-brainer.

I'm not obsessed with your list. After all, I'm not the one that has it as a sig.

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten"... but it all seems to be about price point with you. Well... at least judging from what you write in your posts. So I stand by my original post...

"By the guitars in your sig, it's pretty obvious your brand name fascination wouldn

• Members

What prior statements made you come to that conclusion? That a Tribute isn't the 'real thing', or something else?

Oh yes, it was your entire post #18.

I have also owned USA G&L products that I compared the Korean Tributes that I owned to. I'm not saying that my opinion is the end all or the be all either but I am saying that your voiced opinion is by far inaccurate.

• Members
I'm not obsessed with your list. After all, I'm not the one that has it as a sig.

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten"... but it all seems to be about price point with you. Well... at least judging from what you write in your posts. So I stand by my original post...

"By the guitars in your sig, it's pretty obvious your brand name fascination wouldn

• Members

Oh yes, it was your entire post #18.

I have also owned USA G&L products that I compared the Korean Tributes that I owned to. I'm not saying that my opinion is the end all or the be all either but I am saying that your voiced opinion is by far inaccurate.

So since your experience differs from mine, I 'don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to guitars'?

Sounds like a pretty big leap there, but think what you want...

• Members

why do you think that is?... considering they're the same pickups

electronics?

honest question btw
:)

mistersully, coming from you I know it is an honest question, not some veiled attempt to condemn me as a "brand snob". The pickups in a USA bluesboy and a tribute are not the same. The G&L has a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover and a G&L MFD in the bridge. So along with the pickups, and possibly the electronics, It may also be the fact that the body of the Tribute guitar was significantly thinner that my G&L.

Aside from the sound, the G&L also feels better. They PLEK their frets, and use wood binding on many of their guitars. Do not get me wrong. The Tributes are very good guitars. The Tribute Bluesboy is all the guitar I could ever need. The G&Ls are just a few steps up in sound, feel and build quality.

Or it could be, as others who have chimed in may think, that I am blinded by the G&L brand and am therefore tone deaf to any tonal qualities in a sub $700 guitar

• Members

But you obviously are for some reason, that was your reason for singling out my post in the first place even though others had similar opinions that you didn't have issue with...

I didn't realize it had become uncool to have gear in the sigs here, maybe I should remove it, or better yet fill it with Agiles, SXs, etc. so I won't be judged as a 'gear snob' by people like yourself.

What exactly is wrong with 'the real thing'? A USA G&L IS 'the real thing' when referring to G&Ls. A Tribute is not a USA G&L and therefore not 'the real thing'. I'm sure some are better and some are worse, but the ones I've tried weren't on the same level as 'the real thing'.

As far as me giving cheaper guitars much consideration goes, I guess you missed the post where I mentioned I recently owned a Tribute S-500.

I have found that those who are quick to call one out as a brand snob are far more obsessed with brand than most others on this board. It isn't possible for one to even hint that, heavens forbid, one prefers a Gibson Les Paul Standard over one if its many Asian imitators without being called a brand snob. Apparently the same thing happens when you prefer a USA G&L over a Tribute. Worse, if you happen to prefer a Gibson, it is because of marketing hype or the fact that you are blinded by the brand - not the obvious fact that Gibson actually makes some very good guitars! My Advice? Ignore it. You have some great guitars:thu:

• Members

So since your experience differs from mine, I 'don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to guitars'?

Sounds like a pretty big leap there, but think what you want...

It isn't a leap at all.

Your 'real thing' philosophy has been obliterated many times in history when someone invented a design and then someone copied it but perfected it. It isn't exactly the same issue here but CNC machines that are set up to make parts the same will make them to the specs that they are set for. They don't fudge the specs so that the inexpensive line will be 'less of the real thing'. Yes, there are corners to be cut such as labour costs etc but your entire post about 'why not get?' makes no sense when you are still talking about something 2 times the cost regardless of the quality.

Since I 'can think what I want' then I'll think that you'd still have your G&L if it was a USA but no better quality than the one that you actually had...but you'd have it just because it was a USA.

• Members

It isn't a leap at all.

Your 'real thing' philosophy has been obliterated many times in history when someone invented a design and then someone copied it but perfected it. It isn't exactly the same issue here but CNC machines that are set up to make parts the same will make them to the specs that they are set for. They don't fudge the specs so that the inexpensive line will be 'less of the real thing'. Yes, there are corners to be cut such as labour costs etc but your entire post about 'why not get?' makes no sense when you are still talking about something 2 times the cost regardless of the quality.

Since I 'can think what I want' then I'll think that you'd still have your G&L if it was a USA but no better quality than the one that you actually had...but you'd have it just because it was a USA.

It is a huge leap, but like I said, think what you want.

As far as 'why not get the real thing' goes, I was just pointing out that particular model isn't exactly expensive in the firs place, so why not just get it.

And your last sentence is completely ridiculous. I've bought and sold hundreds of guitars, American and imports, over the years, and what I choose to sell has nothing to do with where it is from. I'm sure everything in my sig, will be sold sooner or later when I find something else I want to buy...

Archived