Africa - Not Toto

• Members

I like how everything is emulated spot on, especially the beat (which tricked me into thinking it was an actual drum kit a few times
:p
).

Very nice "Africa" rendition. :thu:

If you want to hear an impressive human beatbox performance over some very interesting modern jazz, I highly recommend the Iiro Rantala New Trio. This beatbox artist, Felix Zenger, is an amazing musician.

5bdSfmYdJ8o

• Members

It really entertaining to watch, and I appreciate the attention to detail, although strictly as an acapella performance, I'm not sure it worked that well. That beatbox guy was cool, though. Certainly gave me new appreciation for the original.

Actually, I think this thread has started me on a Toto kick, as I've been watching some of their videos on YouTube, and have just reserved a copy of Toto IV from my local library.

Ironically, these guys were often regarded as the blandest of the bland back in the '80s, but now they sound like a breath of fresh air. I won't go on a rant about how music was so much better back then, because I was barely out of diapers, plus I like a lot of current music. (Not to mention he '80s certainly had an abundance of crappy music as well.) But the bottom line--music this sophisticated wouldn't stand a chance of topping the charts today, which is a shame.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Ironically, these guys were often regarded as the blandest of the bland back in the '80s, but now they sound like a breath of fresh air. But the bottom line--music this sophisticated wouldn't stand a chance of topping the charts today, which is a shame.

Agreed :thu:

They also had serious problems with their record label promoting their material in the US, so they were not that present this side of the ocean.

Steve Lukather:

We hung in there hard despite being the most hated band in the world by most so called "rock critics". We took the punches and kept going. Our old label President Donnie Ienner ruined us in the USA by not releasing our records and not letting us out of our contract for over 10 YEARS! And that really set us back. Why? You have to ask the man himself cause we never knew why. He just didnt like our music or us personally I guess. We will never know.

Toto is a permanent resident on my iPod.

• Members

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this video performance; amazing. However, such a strong first impression leads one to seek out other materials from the same performers; not to seem too cynical, but I felt let down when I watched some of their other videos.

Great stuff on Africa though!!! :thu::thu::thu:

• Members

Agreed
:thu:

They also had serious problems with their record label promoting their material in the US, so they were not that present this side of the ocean.

Toto is a permanent resident on my iPod.

Yeah--I didn't realize they'd been going strong even 25 years later. I was suprised to find on their Wikipedia page that they never really stopped touring, and only officially broke up last year. They've had several line-up changes since their heyday, of course, but it's still pretty surprising to find that they've been sort of operating under the radar for this long. As top call-session musicians, you'd think they could've afforded to pack it in years ago.

• Members

I used to say Toto's music was a guilty pleasure. But now, I don't feel guilty about any music I like. :cool:

I'm a sucker for good acapella performances and this was one I really enjoyed. Thanks!

I also like this version of "Africa":

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

If you've never seen the 25th Anniversary DVD Live from Amsterdam, it's worth watching ... at least renting. There is a version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on there that will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck!

• Members

If you've never seen the 25th Anniversary DVD Live from Amsterdam, it's worth watching ... at least renting. There is a version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on there that will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck!

There are some videos on YouTube for Toto in Amsterdam. There were apparently two tours; one in 2003 and one in 2007, do you know which year the DVD is from?

• Members

Actually, I found a live version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps by Toto; I don't know if it's the Amsterdam version or not, but here it is.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I have always been a huge fan of Toto!

• Members

There are some videos on YouTube for Toto in Amsterdam. There were apparently two tours; one in 2003 and one in 2007, do you know which year the DVD is from?

I'm pretty sure it is the 2003 tour, I let a guitar player friend of mine borrow the DVD and I have his Rush in Rio DVD. I looked it up on Amazon.com and yes it is the 2003 tour. There is some kick ass behind the scene backstage interviews and mucking about in the extras section that are well worth a watch too. Makes you just want to "hang" with these guys in the worst way. Simon Philips kicks ass on drums too. This from amazon.com:

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com

Toto may be past its prime as a multi-platinum recording band, but Live in Amsterdam offers abundant proof that their performances are as electrifying as ever. Recorded in Amsterdam's Heineken Music Hall on February 17, 2003, near the end of Toto's 25th anniversary world tour, this dynamic concert serves as a cheerful reminder that Toto have been alive and well and recording steadily since 1978. The band's 2002 release Through the Looking Glass was an album of covers, two of which are welcomed here: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is a prime showcase for guitarist Steve Lukather, and "Bodhisattva" is a tight, meticulous tribute to Toto's original drummer, the late Jeff Porcaro, and his classic sessions with Steely Dan. The mega-hits "Africa," "Rosanna," and "Hold the Line" are perfectly executed, and in a band full of talented singers, lead vocalist Bobby Kimball sounds better than ever. Two impressive medleys show the band in full gear as a comfortable unit of seasoned professionals, highlighted by impeccable work from keyboardist David Paich, bassist Mike Poracaro, and ace drummer Simon Phillips (who also produced and mixed this recording for DVD). And while 35 minutes of Porcaro's backstage home-video might seem frivolous, it shows a band that's still having fun, as reflected in the beaming smiles of their appreciative Amsterdam audience. --Jeff Shannon

Sorry to derail the acapella choir thread - not discounting anything they were doping but I agree with Ani - in watching some of their other videos on youtube (Bee Gees Medley, etc.) I was less impressed. They did kick ass on Africa though.

Archived