auditioning guitarists epiphone blew my gibby out of the water

toneforhire

• Members

Why didn't you just upgrade the gibson and get a nice pro setup done. You don't make sense haha...

Don't mean to single you out by the quote, since I know others have said it in this thread as well...but you were the last one to post :p

Obviously upgrading the Gibson would cost $$ out of pocket, whereas selling the Gibson and buying the Epi and upgrading it would, it sounds like, leave the OP with cash in-hand. This is usually a good thing [cash in hand, rather than spending more cash] when you're married :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If the Epi PLAYED better than the Gibson and the OP's new one does as well, that might be somewhat hard to equal on the Gibson. You can change pickups, electronics, wiring, nut, etc and improve sound quality, and a good setup will maximize playability. But you can't make the Gibson play better than the Epi if it's not there to begin with.

I've owned a number of cheaper, copy guitars that played better than what they were copying. Getting them to sound better too is not all that hard to do.

• Members

Instead of insinuations, you should read the whole post. As he stated, they traded guitars and rigs, and the upgraded Epi came out on top each time. Is that so hard for people to believe?

I had a ESP M-II and my dean sarasota... Both guitars "Blind tested" the band and they RAVED about the insane metal shred tone assuming it was coming from the ESP, they then told me how the thin, brittle mosquito like sounding cheaper guitar was no match.. then when I played the rest of the night with that red dean they were blown away.....

Headstock's don't mean {censored}.

My korean Washburns ANNIHILATE the ESP I had... hence it's departure... Same with the Kramer USA I had... Floyd rose, jb's etc.. still sounded cocka for some reason... the 2-3 usa strats, raped by cheaper, korean made guitars... fk it, Im tired of the "headstock hooplah"... Do I want a les paul custom? Sure... would love a vintage white one just like randy.. but make no mistake, if I find an edwards or a burny for 1/5 of the price that sounds comprable... guess where Im spending my money:idea:

One more tidbit... I played a USA Jackson soloist and a white, beat up appluase by ovation and for some odd damn reason I played MUCH better and sounded better on that cheap $75 guitar at GC... amazing how that can happen at times...

Play what you play well with.

• Members

sell the Gibson. don't waste time and money upgrading it. if it doesn't sound great stock, it won't make much difference upgrading it.

learned that the hard way. i once owned a Gibson USA LP Standard that got outplayed by an Epi LP Custom. the Gibson had lots of mods(electronics, bridge, tailpiece and countless pup swaps before that) and the Epi is bone stock! so i bought the Epi. but eventually sold them both when i got my R8 which killed them both.

• Members

His epiphone was completely upgraded

pups, wiring, switch, jack, pots, tuners, bridge, stop-piece, nut

my 335 was stock (new jack as I broke that after the GC warrenty ended)

At the point that he did all of this, he is essentially playing a custom instrument. It only has an Epiphone shell.

That being said, I traded for a Korean Epiphone the other day and, aside from the pickups which are decent but not mind boggling, it is as good as any LP I've ever owned (I've had 3 Gibson LPs).

Will you regret getting rid of your 335? Yes. Will the upgraded Dot kick ass? Yes.

Is there any way to win in this situation? No.

Just play your new guitars and enjoy.

• Members

A good set of pots and caps can really change the sound on any guitar.

I think that is the second thing to try before even swapping the pickups. The first thing is always making sure the guitar is setup well with the nut slots properly cut to the string guage. That can kill a bit of the acoustic tone of the guitar if the strings are bound up in the nut.

I wouldn't doubt that the Epi could sound good, guitars are pretty individualistic things. Some really got it going, some are pretty much dead logs. It even happens with the good and vintage stuff.

• Members

I'd say that this was a troll type of post, but to be honest from my experiences with semi-hollows, Epiphone really does put out a few really good ones. I'm not a headstock guy even though I have upgraded over the years to just about everything MIA, but that was based on each guitar being a player. If I could have found a better guitar cheaper in each case I would have been all over it.

But to get back OT, I've owned a few Epi semihollows and they've all responded great to pickup changes. And while there was a period of not so great ones coming out during the move from Korea to China, I've owned both and the necks (which is where I usually see the most problems with imports) were all really well done.

Epiphone really does semi-hollows well in my experience....I can also see where there may be a few ES335's that just don't have it. On the other hand tone is so subjective that it may be just what someone else was looking for.

After saying all of that though, I have to ask have you tried adjusting the pickup's height and pole pieces? I just put a new set of '57 Classics in my Sheraton on monday and they opened the guitar up a lot, but it wasn't until I really dialed the pole pieces to match the radius that it blew me away.

• Members

Let me start by saying that I don't really care what the poster does with his guitar but....

It appears to me as if the first thing to do would be to have a pro look at the Gibby inside and out and then give it a through setup, possibly including a new nut, etc.

Then, if the Epi still sounds better, I'd ask about possiblity upgrading the pups, bridge (The Callhams are nice!), etc. Only after running out of affordable options would I sell a Gibby (That I was otherwise happy with.) to buy a less expensive/less nice guitar that might need the same amount of work. Of course, thats just me!

Lastly, as we all know, all guitars are different and some are way better than others that are supposedly identical and yes, the other guy may have lucked into his axe or just as likely, the poster may have inadvertantly purchased a dog. My 2nd EJ Strat is so much better ahan my first one that.... Well, there just arent words to describe the difference!

PS: It also sounds as if the poster is goung to end up with the best of both worlds. He'll get a couple of new guitars and he'll still be able to play wify's "new guitar"! I pulled that scam myself once!!

• Members

Are you sure it's not your pups or setup? I mean, why not just upgrade the gibby?

Well, that would be an option - but it wouldn't get over the fact that the OP was never comfortable gigging with the Gibby. Upgrading it would make it an even bigger pricetag to take into some dodgy bars... :D

• Members

I've had several "great" guitars that I've just never bonded with. One mans treasure can be another mans junk (or something like that).

I have a Dot that from the get-go felt and played great but left something to be desired sound wise. Re-wired it. Put in a couple '57 Classics and holy hell this thing is great.

I also have a ES-339 that is a 'better' guitar but I would actually put them at about even.

With a gun to my head which would I keep? The Gibson. If for nothing else than the resale value.

• Members

Theres so many variables here that you shouldnt jump to a conclusion!

Newer strings or a different gauge or brand?

The Gibsons probably a nitro finish and the maples probably from north america as Gibson sends out folks just to find trees. THe Epi's probably polyurethane finish and its anyones guess where the woods from!

Gibsons factory setups from 2000-2005 seemed to be lackluster at best.I know of a few that were downright insulting for the $ spent on the guitars.

The newer plek guitars are more in line with the quality you expect.

The Epi was obviously a serious upgrade and that probably included a decent setup.

Also theres the element of "wear in and comfort" . It takes a while for a guitar to be ironed out and then a bit of wear in just makes it easier to play. Also theres no pressure to be careful with a cheap guitar so you focus less on scratching or nicking it when playing.

As for tone-well thats in the ears of the beholder. Im guessing that the Gibby was darker sounding and in Band/jam situations it would be harder to hear.

Keep the Gibby but ask the Epi guy what pups and caps and pots he used and pay someone for a setup!

• Members

Guitars are kinda like people. Ya they all more or less look the same but every one is different. If you like think the 335 is lacking in playability then a setup might be what is needed. As far as pickups.....changing them might be the way to go I love the Seth lovers I have in my The Heritage 170CM. Granted it is a solid body but the pickups kick ass. But if selling the Gibson and buying another guitar and pouring money into it and customizing it go for it. It is your money,guitar and business. But I highly dbout you can duplicate that Epi no matter what you do to another guitar some just have "IT" mojo,magic,voodoo what ever you call it they are just special.

• Members

When I play with another guitarist... I HATE IT IF THE GUITARS ARE THE SAME...

So for example, if the other guy takes out his LP... I'm grabbing my Strat... or if he pulls out his Tele, I'm smiling with my McCarty...

Complementary tones are more fun, imho, than the exact same tones.

I would NEVER want my guitar to have the same pickups, nut, electronics, etc if that meant they sounded the same.

M

Archived